Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Help from Muso's
  • messiah
    Free Member

What to do?

I have an extensive record collection of bizzare alternative stuff from the 80’s and 90’s and I’d love to listen to much of it again more often, but quite a lot has been damaged by being played on the crap record players I had at that time. Most of it now sounds poor when played on decent kit and hence I tend not to bother and reach for the stuff I have on CD/itunes.

Unfortunately many of the records are not in good enough condition to rip to MP3 without extensive sorting and fixing of which I have neither the time nor the inclination.

I’ve looked on I-tunes to re-purchase but not a lot of it is available (and it’s so expensive).

I’m considering Napster as an option as I’m sure most of it will be on there… and this way I can have anything and everything including the stuff I wanted back then but didn’t get as I couldn’t afford it (for as long as I subscribe obviously).

Any experience of Napster or other options for lovely 80’s & 90’s alternative music?

My I-pod is on it’s last legs so a new player is no problem.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Don’t think Napster exists any more – not in the mass-music-theft form you’re thinking of anyway!

Plenty of torrent sites out there if you’re determined to get stuff without paying for it (not condemning that – especially if you already own it on vinyl) but they’re a faff and not without risks (viruses etc.).

Lifer
    Free Member

Spotify? You can get Premium on a smartphone for portable music.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    messiah
    Free Member

Napster now works as a subscription service. £15 a month but you never own the music so when you unsubscribe you lose it all.

I’m not interested in illegal download options.

Is spotify not like itunes in that it’s pretty much all mainsteam stuff?

I have heard that Napster has much more of the odd stuff which I like… but I’d like evidence or experience before I commit to a new music player. I guess I could do the free trial and make up my own mind :mrgreen:

messiah
    Free Member

Evening bump.

edhornby

piratebay would be a very irrresponsible thing of me to say

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Help from Muso's’ is closed to new replies.