Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • HELP!! French Toll Booths
  • cb

Made a cock up and drove thorugh the reserve passageway (sp) opening. Tried to reverse and couldn’t because of irate Frecnh behind. Stopped other side of toll booths but no humans available!

Is there a website to go to to pay or am I fined good and proper?

Thanks

Edukator
    Free Member

Nothing nasty. For French residents they send you a bill for the toll and you pay it. The problem is that without a ticket they don’t know where you got on so expect a bill for all the autoroute from the previous barrier even if you only got on at the previous junction. It’s only if you don’t pay they add a fine.

If you were on British plates there is no agreement in place with the UK so I doubt they can even get your address.

Fine is 35e if they decide you deserve one but from your description they’d realise you intended to pay.

Cougar

If you were on British plates there is no agreement in place with the UK so I doubt they can even get your address.

Might be an issue if you’re ever planning to go back again?

deadkenny
    Free Member

There is an agreement with UK now from 6th May. https://www.theaa.com/european-breakdown-cover/driving-in-europe/driving-offence-abroad

Might not count in this case as offences under it are limited, but one is driving in forbidden lane so that might count.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Just wait. IMO the chances of them bothering to send you a ticket are close to zero. If they do then pay it. As I posted on another thread I got pulled over by a motorcycle cop doing 137 in a 110 and I showed him my papers and he didn’t bother with a ticket. Had I been French I would 100% have got a fine and quite a big one.

Edukator
    Free Member

Excellent, Deadkenny. About time too says Madame.

The motorcycle cop could have fined you no problem, Jamba, and accompanied you to a cash point if you didn’t have the cash, and impounded your car if you couldn’t raise the cash. Being let off isn’t unusual whatever colour your driving license, some days are prevention days. They just pull naughty people over, make them feel uncomfortable then thrash off after the next one; being polite and honest might make you one of the lucky ones.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Indeed Edukator I was expecting it. Had been bowling along and didn’t notice 130 down to 110 sign for a section so it was fair enough. Maybe the rules have changed but in all these years I have never been sent a ticket from France. Have had two from Switzerland. As a Frenchie you’ll be safe from the UK sharing details with France as the arrangement is one way due to UK laws. French have better law where owner gets ticket if driver not identified or “forgotten”.

cb

thanks for the replies – the car is a rental on local plates. We’ve been told locally to call and explain but as Edukator says, we may have to pay for the whole motorway!!

Had visions of 200 EURO fines or worse!!

devash
    Free Member

If it was Italy then they might send you a ticket two years later, which you don’t pay, and nothing happens (true story from experience).

jambalaya
    Free Member

@cb rental on local plates, that is NEW information. The rental company will get a notice of fine (if one is sent out), they will charge you an admin fee (£25-£50?) automatically to your cc for sending the docs onto you. What you do next is up to you but I susoect if hou don’t pay the French govt will chase the rental co and they will charge you a lot of money.

cb

jamba – hoping that calling tomorrow and paying up what we owe will avert the fine and nasty involvement with hire car company. We do want to pay up just couldn’t initially work out how to do it. Never been though a set of toll booth before with zero humans working…although this is France.

jambalaya
    Free Member

No humans at toll bridge in Southampton, cash (50p-60p) and no change or their prepaid card, no debit/credit cards

Good luck with it

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘HELP!! French Toll Booths’ is closed to new replies.