Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Help – Foaming milk for cappuccino etc.
  • chrispalmr
    Free Member

Dear All,

Please help, I find myself impotent in the important art of prouding nice thick milk foam to go on top of cappuccinos etc. I have a Krups espresso machine (15bar, pumped) with a steam head on it. I've tried whole, semi- and skimmed milk. I've tried starting with it hot, warm and cold. I've tried a small jug and a large jug. Inevitably the milk is heated to the point of boiling (great for cafe au lait/latte) without producing any nice thick foam. What am I doing wrong?

Cheers

Chris

Jamie
    Free Member

Milk + One of these.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

You aint getting air down the little tube what sticks out the rubber thingy

mattstreet

IIRC you have to have the surface of the milk just above the small hole that should be further up the steam head, so that it bubbles the milk. You doing that?

peachos
    Free Member

yeah sound like technique as you have all the gear. nozzle of steamer thing just in below the surface and gently submerge and lift out until it froths up.

sunchaser
    Free Member
    chrispalmr
    Free Member

Sounds like my problem is having the steam head too far submerged in the milk, hence it heating but not frothing. Thanks for the help, especially the link to the article mattstreet, hopefully my wife will be fully satisfied from now on…

Cheers

Chris

william
    Free Member

I find it helps if you hold the jug at an angle, use cold full fat milk and just put the steam wand below the surface and shake it up and down very gently.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

And use FRESH full cream milk. Can't help with technique as my gaggia classic has a wand that pruduces good froth if you just bung it to the bottom – some design thing in the wand. Also use a conical steel jug so the milk 'spins'.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Help – Foaming milk for cappuccino etc.’ is closed to new replies.