Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • HELP Fitting new rear brake to Orange Five
  • Rollo
    Free Member

I am trying to fot a new rear brake to my Orange Five, but cant work out how to get the hose through the hose guides. the fittings on the end of the hose don’t fit through – any ideas?

Any other tips on the fitting process much appreciated – could save me hours of head scratching!

uplink
    Free Member

Take the end off the hose & then re-fit & bleed when done

Q
    Free Member

You may get away without bleeding if you take fittings off caliper end. Put a bit of tape over end of hose to keep fluid in and thread through frame. If you are lucky you’ll be able to reconnect and ride.

MrNutt
    Free Member

run the brake along the top of the swing arm?

Lummox

best remove the fittings at caliper end, tape up end of hose. Then run an old brake/gear cable through the swing arm as this is far easier to thread than brake hose, tape hose securely to end of cable and pull cable and hose carefully through swing arm.

Patience is the key word

Much better and neater than running it along top of swing arm which is just lazy.

As stated by others if you’re carefull and don’t pull the levers or bang the hose around you might get away with not having to bleed, if you can you i would though.

Rollo
    Free Member

Cheers all,

The caliper end makes more sense – I was hoping to pull old hose through with new one attahced, but that involves the lever end of the old cable passing through the guide, which the collar prevents. Might try a bit of string attached to the old one, and use that to pull the new one through.

Its stopped raining now, so will let you knwo how it goes!

Ta.

orange
    Free Member

ditto lummox’s methodology for me…

Rollo
    Free Member

One last question,

I have the new hayes stroker brakes, which use an adjustable end on the hose. I can rotate this but it doesn’t seem to unthread – How do I get it off?

cheers.

ononeorange

I changed the brakes on my 5, and tied the new cable to the old, pulled it through, and hey presto! – it fell off inside the swing arm. An hour of swearing and increasing desperation, until someone on here suggested using welding wire (the extremely decent fella even sent me some). Got that poked through in a flash, then used it to get the hose through. Phew!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘HELP Fitting new rear brake to Orange Five’ is closed to new replies.