Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • help fitting chinese bike lights & battery pack??
  • wavejumper
    Free Member

OK. Just got my first set of lights for night riding, a cheap chinese special off ebay. They have arrived and as suspected come with no instructions / paperwork etc etc. I’m trying to figure out how to fit them to my helmet and the battery pack to my bike?
    The light comes with a o ring or cheap looking helmet strap and a battery case with no obvious means of attachment. It looks like I need a velcro strap or something to attach it to the bike?
    With regards to a helmet mount, the O ring doesn’t fit anywhere useful on my helmet and the headstrap supplied doesn’t look like its meant to be helmet compatible? It looks like you would use it just as a head torch?
    And before I get told ‘I told you so’ or ‘you pay your money’ etc……….. This is going to be my 2nd, cheaper light and I’m also splashing out on a lumenator.
    Ideas please as I’m guessing I’m not the only on running one of these ebay lights.

kilo

a link for the light might help. on mine

(similar to this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SSC-P7-900-Lumen-Rechargeable-Waterproof-LED-Head-Torch-Bike-Light-/140876580606?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Cycling_Bike_Lights&hash=item20cce606fe)

the o ring goes around the bars and hooks on to the bottom of the light itself and there is a velcro strap on the battery case. No idea about the head strap, I left it in the box, however i did think it was just a head torch mount rather than bike helmet specific

montylikesbeer

normally two o rings, one for thin bars and on for over sized.

Other than that fit the battery where you can, under your stem is a good place.

Make sure the Velcro goes around your frame stem and then back onto the pack with the pack against the frame / stem

pete68
    Free Member

Sounds the same as mine. For use as a helmet light i zip tie the mount on and put the battery in camelbak or back pocket. The light can be taken off the mount by unhooking the mount rubber o ring. Once fitted I’ve not had any problem with it moving.

wavejumper
    Free Member

Thanks. Mines just like that except I don’t have a velcro strap for the battery so currently no way to attach the battery to the stem / frame. Also, I’m running a 50mm stem so could be a challenge to get under there?

Nobby

If you want to helmet mount it then simply cut the elastic straps of the headstrap thingy & either velcro or zip tie the plastic bit to your helmet – the light fits onto this with the O ring. I just sling the battery in my camelback but you could always use a cheap under-saddle bag or similar.

br
    Free Member

except I don’t have a velcro strap for the battery so currently no way to attach the battery to the stem / frame

Never heard of zip-ties? 🙄

Do you also need help to tie your laces?

motozulu
    Free Member

I would’nt attatch the battery to the frame if the light is on the helmet anyway – not pretty if you and the bike get parted on the trail. 😯

The link is excellent – good idea and all you need is a bit of velcro and a sharp knife/scissors. The lad deserves a Blue Peter badge for that.

Nobby

The link is excellent – good idea and all you need is a bit of velcro and a sharp knife/scissors.

It’s what I tried to explain earlier – it really is a very stable way of fixing it to your helmet.

PaulD
    Free Member

Put the battery inside a couple of nitrile gloves and seal each with a cable-tie. There is a circuit boeard inside that is NOT water tolerant.
    Do that and it should be good to go.
    I use one on the bars with the battery velcroed to the top tube and one on my helmet with an extension lead and the battery inside the CamelBak.
    If you have choice, use the wider beam on the bars.

PaulD

Northwind

If you’re wearing it on your head, most backpacks have a small pocket in the top- supposed to be for phones etc but perfect for batteries.

If you’re attaching it to the frame, then a velcro strap is best- easily bought. But reusable cableties are also very good (or standard cable ties but THINK OF THE CHILDREN!1!oNE!)

yunki
    Free Member

If you are contemplating a solution that doesn’t involve ripping it apart and using cable ties instead, then you are possibly better suited to windsurfing or golf..

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘help fitting chinese bike lights & battery pack??’ is closed to new replies.