Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Help fitting a KS LEV please….
  • stevied
    Free Member

My Lev is currently winging it’s way from Germany ready for a 4 day holiday in Wales.
    Been looking at where I’ll be able to run the cable to keep things neat and tidy. On my Intense I’ve gone 1×10 so have the front mech cable stops free.
    Has anyone fixed their cable by using normal cable stops and having sections of outer between them? I can’t see any reasons why it wouldn’t work and have a fresh set of SP41 cables/outer/grommety things..
    Cheers
    Steve

jamj1974

Unless you already have guides to run full runs of cable I would run exposed cable between cable stops. It is very easy to fit the remote though!

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

It would work, but why risk the ingress of dirt and water. The Lev is really well designed in that the cable end at the post is sealed into the post, to stop water/filth ingress, your solution would undo that good design. Personally I’d run it complete down the top tube with a cable tie or two. It’s a mountain bike at the end of the day!

jamj1974

I’ve fitted Middleburn cable oilers to my full run of cable. Also the inner cable provided is shit, buy a new one and use it on first install.

It would work, but why risk the ingress of dirt and water. The Lev is really well designed in that the cable end at the post is sealed into the post, to stop water/filth ingress, your solution would undo that good design.

I don’t think it will affect the sealed design at the seat post end at all.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

I don’t think it will affect the sealed design at the seat post end at all.

I’m not suggesting it would, I’m saying that they’ve gone to great lengths to make the cable run sealed and reliable in all conditions, it’s a shame to allow dirt and water in elsewhere for the sake of a cable tie.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

aside from the cable issue (just run a full length)
    You need to cut the cable the right length and not end up with too much (any) poking through the end.

chvck
    Free Member

21mm of inner beyond the end of the outer.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

yep 21mm, it was reminiscent of the holy hand grenade while fitting mine…

perthmtb
    Free Member

Another tip on Lev installation (not mine, I copied it from someone else) is to use a V-brake noodle to get a nice tight bend on the cable as it comes out of the remote. Otherwise, with the stiff outer KS supply, you tend to get a big loop of cable there. Here’s what it looks like…

stevied
    Free Member

Thanks for the tips guys! Hopefully be here Monday to give me plenty of time to get it fitted.
    Will try it using the cable stops and see how I get on (I’ve got some heatsink the right size so may be able to use that to cover the exposed cable and shrink it onto the cable glands)
    I’ll get a new cable and noodle too, sounds like a good idea 🙂

euans2
    Free Member

The outer cable that KS supplied was terrible, I replaced it straight away with a good quality Shimano outer

perthmtb
    Free Member

If you’re worried about muck getting into exposed cable ends, just remember not all ferrules are equal. Proper Shimano ferrules that fit their SP41 outer have a small rubber ‘O’ ring inside to stop water and dirt ingress.

stevied
    Free Member

I’ve got some new Shimano SP41 outer/ferrules I’ll be using..

jamj1974

cbmotorsport – Member
    I’m not suggesting it would, I’m saying that they’ve gone to great lengths to make the cable run sealed and reliable in all conditions, it’s a shame to allow dirt and water in elsewhere for the sake of a cable tie.

Sorry, didn’t mean to sound critical – just clarifying. I used self-adhesive cable guides for mine. Neater than a zip tie but still allows full length outer.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

For the naysayers, fitted the supplied cable & outer and it’s fine, I’ll change it when it needs changing.

jamj1974

Perthmtb. I had that idea the other day – but couldn’t find a spare noodle. I say I had the idea – but I may have just heard or seen it mentioned elsewhere. Either way your execution looks really tidy!

perthmtb
    Free Member

Thanks! I happened to have an old noodle handy, but you can buy new ones (Shimano or Avid) from the usual online retailers for a couple of quid…

Farticus

Just unpacked my KS Lev and started installation.

The remote seems to bind on the bars when vaguely tightened enough to stop the whole unit rotating. Anyone else found this? Any simple solutions? Or will the spring tension be enough to overcome it (doubtful from the feel of it)?

Thanks

JoeG
    Free Member

Farticus – I have 2 Levs and no issues with the remote binding. Spring is on the seatpost end; there is not one in the remote lever itself.

Be sure to use carbon paste (no grease!) when installing the seatpost in the seattube!

euans2
    Free Member

Farticus – I had this issue when installing my Lev but only when I installed it on my grip replacing the ODI clamp, this was also reported in a magazine review that I read.

JoeG
    Free Member

Mine remote does not replace a lockon clamp.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Also no issue with the remote but it’s not locked on as I use twisties. Needs to sit a little further inboard so I can hook my thumb round.

Farticus

Mine binds when used as a replacement ODI or when mounted independently. As soon as it’s tight enough to stop the unit rotating it binds, and it’s not just a very light pressure to release it. I’ve now taken it apart and look at filing it a bit to take some of the lacquer off to see if that frees it up.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Help fitting a KS LEV please….’ is closed to new replies.