Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • HELP. Emergency mattress needed on a budget. Advise please.
  • JonBoy
    Free Member

Need a double mattress asap and have a couple hundred to spen on it.

What would be the best type for the money? I’ve seen pocket sprung on from Ikea that looks good but OH is after memory foam.

Your input please

weeksy

Go into a bed shop…. Try some… buy one ?

ninfan
    Free Member

Emergency

Oh, come on. You’re going to have to give us more of the story than that…

needed on a budget

[quote]OH is after memory foam.[/quote]
    😆

rajboab
    Free Member

Hi.

I bought a Kingsize pocket sprung and memory Isleep mattress from Argos.
    £250 RRP but got a £50 off all home items in an email so cost me £200.
    I was price limited.

Great buy. A lot better than what it replaced.

Would buy again.

DezB
    Free Member

If it’s an emergency, you can get those foam ones that are rolled up so you can stick em in the boot. Bought one for my spare bed, £140 , I think. Really is quite comfortable. (Just a bit chemical-whiffy for a day or 2)

me1tdown
    Free Member

I bought a silent night memory foam one from Amazon for around £150. It’s very very comfortable but hasn’t lasted brilliantly, it’s memory is a bit too good and it struggles to forget where I’ve been laying! (2.5 years)

Cougar

Memory foam is very hot and sweaty, I’m led to believe.

sturdylad
    Free Member

IKEA

globalti
    Free Member

I HATE memory foam, it’s hot and sweaty and you can’t turn over. It’s the biggest con ever foisted on the public.

A Futon mattress is super comfy and can be folded up small. Buy the base and it doubles as a sofa.

Pook

Not been having a good night, JonBoy?

TheGingerOne

I sweat like a priest \ 1970’s TV Celebrity \ football coach (delete as appropriate) with Memory Foam 😯

I’d avoid unless you know you will not too.

If it really is an emergency, just buy an inflatable camping mattress and buy a proper mattress when you have done your research and thought about it properly. Land fill doesn’t need another mattress in a couple of months time!

It’s bad enough with Dreams now claiming you should repalce it every 8 years to keep their business going \ allow them to make poor quality mattresses that don’t last

sbob
    Free Member

IKEA.
    Forget memory foam, they’re no good for hanky panky.

Pook

Forget memory foam, they’re no good for hanky panky.

Neither’s my £500 deluxe super king sprung effort.

benp1

Emergency like you need it right now but short term only

or emergency like you need it right now and it’s a keeper

If it’s the latter then a couple of hundred is a fairly small budget…?

trail_rat
    Free Member

HATE memory foam, it’s hot and sweaty and you can’t turn over. It’s the biggest con ever foisted on the public.

Yours may have been I quite like mine how ever you won’t get the one I have for 250 quid.

Bed bargain shop near by ? Replaced a crap rental mattress with one from our local one for 80 quid . Did me fine for a year.

JonBoy
    Free Member

Need a new one anyway but was hoping to do early next year as it’s been an expensive couple of months. Emergency as in wife is 6 months pregnant and can’t get comfy. If she doesn’t sleep soon this may be my last post.

We have a memory foam at the mo but I think is got some kind of bed variant dementia as it only remembers what it wants. Want something that’s gonna be comfy but not to fussed if it doesn’t last. Kids tend to wee/puke/jump on it so they never get a full life as it were.

technicallyinept
    Free Member

I HATE memory foam, it’s hot and sweaty and you can’t turn over. It’s the biggest con ever foisted on the public.

A Futon mattress is super comfy and can be folded up small. Buy the base and it doubles as a sofa.

The bigger con is suggesting that futons are comfortable 🙂

Cougar

If it really is an emergency, just buy an inflatable camping mattress and buy a proper mattress when you have done your research and thought about it properly

TBH, I wouldn’t be making a snap decision about something you’ll be spending a third of your life using for the next decade. I’d be going round bed shops trying them out (quiet at the back) if I were you.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

We got one of these from John Lewis for the spare bedroom. £200 for Mattress and Base with cupboard.

It wont last 20 years, but it is exceptionally good for the money, and not that much less comfortable than our £2k memory foam main mattress.

http://www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-slide-store-open-spring-divan-base-and-mattress-set-double/p2647628

jairaj

There are a few mattress companies offering 100 day trials. Maybe give one of them a try? I haven’t read the small print yet so check before leaping in.

dooosuk
    Free Member

The 100day trial mattresses are discussed here:
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/lets-dig-deep-into-the-middle-class-seam-of-stw-mattresses

Stoner seemed happy with his.

andybanks
    Free Member

Get a Silentnight Mattress on a bag. Memory foam, delivered via a standard parcel service and the comfiest mattress I’ve had.

Better than any of the ‘100 night trial’ mattresses on the market as they’re all over priced to allow for returns and significant brand campaigns.

We sell these in high volume and have yet to have one complaint.

Amazon are good on price and can deliver in a day – https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silentnight-7-Zone-Memory-Rolled-Mattress-x/dp/B00EICIL5W/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1482238208&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=silentnight+mattress&psc=1

Three_Fish
    Free Member

I know it’s an additional cost, but a natural fibre (wool/cotton/silk) mattress cover/protector deals with the issues of overheating on memory foam; it’ll also extend the life of your mattress, so a bit of an investment really. I still think it’s hard to beat a decent pocket-sprung mattress.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Ikea with their guarantee.
    Simple.

benp1

If your wife is pregnant she’s not really going to be comfortable sleeping anyway!

Have you tried various cushions for her? e.g. the V shaped one. That might help

I really don’t think spending £300-£500 on a mattress is worth it. You spend a significant chunk of your time there, and with a kid coming you really want to get good sleep for the few hours that you get the opportunity to

I bet you spend more on your bikes…

slackboy

silent night outlet store – good discounts, good mattresses. deliver in a couple of days

http://www.mattress.co.uk/

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘HELP. Emergency mattress needed on a budget. Advise please.’ is closed to new replies.