Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Help diagnose my rear mech clearance issue
  • stevenk4563
    Free Member

So I just transferred a drivetrain from one bike to another, it was working perfectly on the old bike but on the new bike the chain fouls the rear mech when shifting up or down the larger sprockets.

Cassette is a 10spd sunrace and the mech is a XT M786 with a radCage fitted, mech worked perfectly on the old bike with the same cassette range and has never taken a knock. I also have the exact same setup on another bike which works perfectly

Hanger alignment is perfect as I just checked it with the proper tool.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

jekkyl

perhaps the b screw not in far enough? Can we have another pic, pulled back of the shebang and the right way up?

scotroutes

Is this a Direct Mount rear mech that you’ve taken off a compatible frame and now tried to mount on a non-Direct Mount hanger?

sillyoldman

Seen that before on frames with out of spec hangers (shelf too high) or where the b-link has been clamped too high, so that the tab on the link is not leaning on the shelf on the hanger. Loosen the mounting bolt and try to push the b-link down and ensure the tab of the link and the shelf on the hanger make contact. If it doesn’t move, then perhaps worth “correcting” the shelf position on the hanger with a file….

neilthewheel

Is it tthe chain off the other bike? If so and new bike has longer stays it’ll be too short.

stevenk4563
    Free Member

Both standard mount, 2013 Mega TR and OnOne 456, b link used in both cases, b tension screw doesn’t seem to have an affect on the clearance between the cable clamp arm and the cassette. Will get more pictures shortly.

stevenk4563
    Free Member

Hanger shelf and b link tab are in contact with each other, it’s a new chain and has been measured with the biggest to biggest plus a link method.

stevenk4563
    Free Member

More pics.

Yak

Goatlink?

jonnyboi

Is this a Direct Mount rear mech that you’ve taken off a compatible frame and now tried to mount on a non-Direct Mount hanger?

This is a good shout

stevenk4563
    Free Member

Both definately standard mount, and the b link is being used.

jonnyboi

Sorry missed the reply earlier

Rorschach
    Free Member

sillyoldman has it.

otsdr
    Free Member

Well, on that PP frame the B-knuckle was clearly in the wrong position, on this one it’s horizontal, which is more or less correct.

Was the hanger on the other bike aluminium? (i.e thicker?) The steel dropout/hanger is pretty thin, so the derailleur sits a bit closer to the cassette; you could add a washer/spacer between the B-knuckle and the hanger to space out the derailleur a bit.

stevenk4563
    Free Member

Cheers guys, I’ll check it against Shimano specs later and get the file out, looks like the Goat-Link may help if that doesn’t fix it.

stevenk4563
    Free Member

An update for anyone with the same issue, I filed the hanger tab down a bit but didn’t want to take too much off, so then filed over half the mech tab off, now shifts perfectly, thanks for the help all.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Help diagnose my rear mech clearance issue’ is closed to new replies.