Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Help, daughter wants to change college/course
  • oldgit
    Free Member

I'm struggling to help my daughter. Basically she did well at school and got on a 2 year full time BTEC in child and healthcare. Problem is she's the youngest there and she is struggling. On top of that she is finding it dreadful with a huge emphasis on H&S.
    However, she is very artistic but had a volatile relationship with her art teacher and came away with no quals in any art subjects, when some years earlier her work was in a temporary exhibition at the Tate Modern.
    She is 16 and Idon't know what to do to help her.

Onzadog
    Free Member

The good news is at 16 she's got all the time in the world to make a few bad choices and try again. Just support whatever choice she makes but it needs to be her choice. Further education is not always the answer and staying with a course she hates isn't going to provide a long and satisfying career in that field regardless of the course. I did a degree in Mech. Eng. and got a good grade. Ten years later, it's not doing me any favours. I wish I'd got a job and started earning when I finished my GCSEs. Working your way up still seems to count for a lot more than bits of paper in the real world.

sq225917
    Free Member

I ended up doing A Levels I wasn't really interested in and two years of a degree before I through in the towel and went back to art and design. Not really wasted years by any means, but they could have been spent better.

Just support whatever choices she want's to make, instinctively she knows where she want's to be, we all do. Better a change now than a tedious career and dissatisfaction for years and years later..

Junkyard
    Free Member

1. She is young and struggling at college – big change new friends different environment- everyone does this to some degree is this the main problem or is it the course?
    2. Has she always wanted to be a nurse – DOES SHE NEED THIS QUAL to achieve a long term goal? In which case MTFU
    3.Can she change courses at college for a Jan start – speak to them – where you can they are usually art programmes that last till sept – check with student services at college and other ones nearby
    4. Dont encourage WBL [ work based learning – apprenticeship] as youth unemeployment /NEET is terrfiying at the minute – college will offer places but then expect you to find your own employer – ditto work limited opportunities at present.

No jobs in art really what is her long term goal?

Assuming you live in England – get her to go see Connexions – we see tons like her every Jan – e-mail me if you want specfic info.

alwyn
    Free Member

Listen to Junkyard, he has really helped me with similar issues in the past.

oldgit
    Free Member

Thankyou junkyard.
    I do actually agree with your MTFU comment.
    The problem is that she scraped by to do this course, after doing pretty well in her highers then leapfrogged a few courses to do this one. The idea was that this would open up further education/career choices in a few years time.
    She has done a lot of placement work in schools whilst at school and during this course and she loves that aspect of the work.
    Might mail you sometime soon.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Help, daughter wants to change college/course’ is closed to new replies.