Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Help… Confused about soft shells and base layers etc recomendation needed.
  • lowey

Had an old Polaris Retroactive jacket for years. Basically it was a fleece with a windproof out layer. I used it next to skin for winter riding all year (I dont really feel the cold) and it was ace. Its now practically fallen apart so am looking for something of similar ilk to replace it.

Am I right in thinking that Softshell's are something similar ie designed to be worn next to the skin ? Do they have pretty good wind resistance ? I have a Goretex jacket for when it rains so not bothered about it being waterproof.

What I'm really trying to find is something that I can just chuck on and ride in winter. I have a thermal base layer for the extra cold times.

So anyone recommend me anything ? Cheers all, thanks for reading.

elliptic
    Free Member

Am I right in thinking that Softshell's are something similar ie designed to be worn next to the skin ?

The original "softshells" were Buffalo pertex/pile gear but nowadays the term gets applied to anything with a fleecy lining and some sort of not-really-waterproof-but-breathable outer. There's a lot of different variations on the market but basically you're on the right track.

Personally I'm a big fan of the Marmot Driclime Windshirts – super light, adaptable and quick drying although the outer fabric isn't very robust if your regular riding involves bashing through vegetation.

nickc

The Gore Phantom pretty much does it for me, slim cut like a jersey, but incredibly warm, all through the winter it's mostly all I use, waterproof enough, and only needs a thin helly underneath on the coldest of cold roadie rides.

montylikesbeer

Buffalo do one, mind you it is yellow !

Buffalo top clicky

montylikesbeer

Or this one

2nd Buffalo

lowey

Oh… that Buffalo comes with a thong!!

Was looking at the Endura Fusion… anyone use them ?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Help… Confused about soft shells and base layers etc recomendation needed.’ is closed to new replies.