• This topic has 26 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by chip.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Help cleaning my helmet
  • jorgemrnh
    Free Member

Hi guys,

I bought a used mavic notch helmet from a friend of mine and it stinks like crazy!
    I completely disassembled it, put the pads ands straps in a bucket with water and manual cloth cleaning product (omo) and with a little brush, cleaned the helmet itself, as i usually do with my other helmets.

The problem is that even with 2 times brushing and cleaning the helmet itself. It stinks!

What products should i use to properly clean it without damaging it?

Best Regards and thanks for your time guys

cynic-al
    Free Member

Troll

cookeaa

Really? You bought a sweat saturated bike helmet and it’s only the smell that concerns you?

Troll

Probably.

You pop the kettle on I’ll get some hobnobs while the ‘hive’ explains the issue here…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Do you own a beaker?

wanmankylung
    Free Member

new pads

jimdubleyou

Febreeze it.

What could possibly go wrong?

leffeboy

Veet?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Dr.P to the forum!

Stinky helmet, cubicle 3!

oldnpastit

Shove a hot soldering iron up your nostrils for a few seconds?

jorgemrnh
    Free Member

cookeaa, sorry but didn’t understood. He’s a guy that sweats a lot but this helmet has been used like 10~15 times tops, never crashed, looks like new.

wanmankylung, i’ve already order them but these ones are ok and after a clean, they don’t smell anymore. Just the helmet it self, “the shell”, that’s the part that still stinks.

oldnpastit LOL, good one.

People, please take this seriously. Would something like dish soap damage the helmet?

jorgemrnh
    Free Member

Febreeze, don’t have that here in Portugal. :S

poey50
    Free Member

Put it in the freezer overnight to kill the bacteria. Works with stinking climbing boots.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

One of these strapped to your nose:

cookeaa

looks like new

Oh well then I take it back, I hadn’t realised that it looked good, that’s bound to prevent a head injury…

I am a renowned cheapskate, even I’d draw the line at a used helmet… Each to their own…

beefheart
    Free Member

I believe you can get some cream for that.

jorgemrnh
    Free Member

cookeaa, i know that a helmet should be changed every 2 or 3 years right? This one has 2 months of use, never dropped or crashed, 100€ helmet at 30€. I didn’t said i bought it online or from “one guy i now”, i said i bought it from a friend, that 95% of the times he rode the bike, was with me.
    I’m not a cheapskate, and i was about to buy this model new. Save a few bucks with a nearly new helmet. Not a big deal i think!

chestercopperpot, better glue it to the visor hehe

poey50, won’t that ruin the helmet?

Everyone is trolling me lol but to be honest i had a tone of helmet since i ride bikes but as this one is the first used i buy, i never had a smelly problem lol

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Every time mine is unclean I reach for the nail brush and the caustic soda. Quick rinse in scalding water and it’s as good as new.

poey50
    Free Member

poey50, won’t that ruin the helmet?

I’ve never tried it with a helmet but I don’t know why it should ruin it. Do you have an old helmet to try?

annebr
    Free Member

ride faster and let the breeze carry the smell away

jorgemrnh
    Free Member

thestabiliser hehehe good one. Maybe sulfuric acid would clean it just as good!

poey50, i dont :S. To boots and shoes, i heard of this method and it works damn good!

annebr the previous owner wasn’t a fast guy, so that was probably the problem xD. The new owner will make sure that the breeze rip that smell apart hehe Never a helmet of nice had any smell, because i make sure i have every sanitized, even my glasses, i clean them every ride with alcohol xD

I saw this video, so i’ll try with Hair or body shampoo since my dish soap is a little bit agressive.

Thanks for the help and the laughs guys!
    Best Regards

daver27
    Free Member

white wine vinegar

zero-cool
    Free Member

Mic Off do a helmet cleaner/freshener

iolo
    Free Member

Stick in in the dishwasher. All my stinky plates come out smelling of lemon.

40mpg

Edit – you could also try putting some Milton fluid (for sterilising babies bottles) in a bucket of cold water and dropping the helmet in for 15 mins. I do this for base layers and shorts from time to time to refresh them.

grannyjone
    Free Member

Is there an easy way to clean a helmet that doesn’t involve rigorous brushing or scrubbing? I can never be arsed with all that sort of thing.

Also someone mentioned the helmet has never been dropped – Dropped? Is this a big deal? I’ve dropped mine onto the floor more times than I can remember.

jorgemrnh
    Free Member

Well, the hair shampoo (linic) solved the problem, after 2 times but it worked.
    Thanks for all the help ans trolling xD

chip
    Free Member

I have heard the best treatment for smelly hands is to wash with toothpaste for that minty freshness.
    So I am sure it would work wonders on a stinky helmut.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Help cleaning my helmet’ is closed to new replies.