Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Help choosing XC/Trail Wheels??
  • dan98
    Free Member

Hi,

Not an expert on this at all!! I have a Trek 8000 2009 with DT Swiss 420 Sl's fitted, bit battered up and a little on the heavy side, just over 2kg. I am wanting to change the wheels for something a bit smarter & lighter around the 1,500 – 1,600g mark if possible.

(Birthday coming up!) Budget absolute max £350…..

I want them for XC and general trail riding, Chilterns, Cannock, Trail centres in wales like Afan etc….
    My weight is 78Kg. I was looking at Hope Pro 3 SP-xc3, they would save me over 500g, but a few reviews talk about bent wheels & broken spokes after little use etc… I don't want to be worying the whole time about breaking them. Anyone on here got any feedback on them as they are quite a good weight?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

Dan

njee20
    Free Member

I wouldn't bother with the SP-XC3s personally, the Hope Hoops on 355s will come out slightly heavier, but also cheaper.

ZTR hubs on Alpine rims would be lighter, I've not heard anything bad about the hubs, although frankly they're a bit of an unknown.

epicsteve
    Free Member

If you can stretch the budget slightly the American Classic wheels are worth a look at £400 and just over 1500g. I went for them partly because of concerns about their being a weight limit on the Hope wheels.

I've only had them for a month but been impressed so far. Much lighter than the Hope XC/X717's that they replaced.

mcboo
    Free Member

You wont go far wrong with some Mavic XC717 rims on the Hope hub of your choice. Get your local shop to lace them up with good standard spokes, say DT.

Someone else on here will be able to tell you what they will weigh. Cost wise will come in below your budget and will be a really lovely set of wheels.

I wouldnt spend a lot on mtb factory wheels again. Hand builts are cheaper and I think at least as strong and can be made with standard and easily sourced replacement parts.

dan98
    Free Member

Great thanks guys some good suggestions there, I'll get cracking!!

Cheers

Dan

thejimster
    Free Member

American Classic,awesome

i've just ordered mine,come in both tubeless ready or a

cheaper normal rim

neninja
    Free Member

I think ZTR hubs are rebranded American Classic hubs.

I'd go for a Stans ZTR rim on a Hope or ZTR hub with DT Rev spokes.

I'm personally running Stans Olympic rims with REv spokes of Sun Ringle Dirty Flea hubs – just under 1500g and seem to be strong and light

dan98
    Free Member

I was going to ask if you could get the American Classics in a Tubeless rim but Jimster you answered that one! How much more are they? Tredz have the normal ones at £399 by the looks of it.

I'll check the ZTR option out too.

thejimster
    Free Member

i'm paying £300 but i get good discount from i'm local
    bike shop

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Help choosing XC/Trail Wheels??’ is closed to new replies.