Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Help choosing between Charge Blender and Transition Vagrant
  • yoochoox
    Free Member

Hello,
    Im getting my first decent bike, im looking for a do-it-all hardtail, gonna use it for freeride, light downhill, riding around in town, to work and an occasional longer XCish rides.

I am thinking about getting a Charge Blender as it seems to be the right bike for my needs, but the problem is im 6’4″ and that bike comes in only one size which is pretty small (15″) and i heard that its seat tube is very slack so its gonna be a pain in the arse to pedal it for taller people.

The only other choice i got is a large Transition Vagrant which would be a perfect size for me, but it looks like its less all-round and more FR/DH oriented.

Im lost, dont know which one to get so any opinions or suggestions will be appreciated.

xiphon
    Free Member

6′ 4″ + 15″ 4X/DJ frame = don’t even think about it, if you want to sit down!!

Sounds like you need a 17″ or 18″ frame (Ragley, On-One, etc)

yoochoox
    Free Member

thanks for you reply xiphon, the Transition Vagrant L is 17″ and it says it fits people with height of 6’1″-6’6″ so i guess that would be a better choice for me.

More opinions are welcome

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    yoochoox
    Free Member

So i decided to get a different frame, im choosing between Ragley Blue Pig X, On-One 456 EVO and NS Surge 2. But i got some concerns about sizing.

I would go for the surge as it has replacable derailleur hanger, i like the looks and seems to be the most freeridish of the three, but their largest frame is only 16″, would it still be too small for me? Gonna use it mainly for freeride, but wanna still be able to pedal.

If the Surge is too small, then what size of Blue Pig/456 EVO should i get? I am thinking about 17″-18″ because as ive mentioned im gonna use it mainly for freeride stuff. Is it a good decision or should i get the 20″ straight away given im 6’4″?

TLDR: I want a freeride hardtail frame that wouldnt be a huge pain in the ass to pedal, what size i should get (im 6’4″)? Would the 16″ NS Surge be too small for me?

messiah
    Free Member

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-18-ragley-blue-pig-x-frame-1

Yetiman is about your height and loved his 18″.

He also had a Large Dialled Bikes Prince Albert which was a also much loved.

bigmountainscotland
    Free Member

Being as you’re wanting it for freeride, it makes sense to have a smaller frame to give you more room to manoeuvre, that said at your height I wouldn’t go smaller than 17″, which should still be enough to get the saddle to a decent pedalling height for more versatility.

With that in mind, I’d be quick and get the 17″ Blue Pig X before it sells out!!

Yetiman
    Free Member

Yeah, a Blue Pig or Blue Pig X would be a great choice. I’m 6’ 2” and my 18” Pig X was spot on for pretty much every type of riding, but especially the more technical gnarly stuff. I ran mine with 150mm Revelations but I found them to be a bit noodly when the going got really rough so I ended up fitting 36 Floats with a plan to reduce the travel to 150mm with a spacer. An ideal frame / fork combo IMHO. You might get away with a 17” frame but if you want it to be a do it all bike, then at 6’ 4” I’d recommend an 18”. I was planning to sell my Pig X to help fund a new 29er project but with Ragley frames going cheap on CRC I’ve decided to keep it with a plan to re-build it this winter.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Help choosing between Charge Blender and Transition Vagrant’ is closed to new replies.