Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Help choosing a short travel full suspension bike.
  • kjrogers

Looking for some advice choosing a short travel full suspension bike. I just got back into riding last year and bought myself a Kona Cindercone in a 17″ size. I am mostly riding at glentress but plan on expanding out to some of the other seven stanes sites. I’ve changed the saddle and the tyres on the Kona but otherwise it is standard and I really like my position on the bike and I feel quite confident riding it down the red route at GT. I’m finding now though that as I go a bit faster my legs are taking a hammering on the downhill. My new tyres are a bit narrower as well so while they grip much better I’ve lost some shock absorbance. There is only one thing that I find difficult on the Kona and that is getting round tight switch back when descending.

So I tried a Trek Fuel 18.5″, unfortunately they only has the 9.7 for me to hire and I’m not looking to buy a carbon fibre bike, it was comfortable but the pedal bob was brutal, permanently had the pro pedal on unless descending. Overall I felt it was like riding a pillow and was neutralizing the trails to the point where it wasn’t fun to ride them. Not sure if it is really just that good or if it was a bit soft.

Then tried a Orange ST4s. This was a 18″ and there was something I just couldn’t get right in terms of sitting on the bike. I moved the saddle as far forwards as possible but still felt that the the longest part of the pedal stroke was out in front of me, a bit like I was sitting behind the bike. The reach to the bars then felt too short and overall it just didn’t feel right. I loved the way the suspension felt in that it was a bit like my hardtail but with a nice fat tyre. A few times I felt like I was being pushed over the bars and was having to get my weight right back off the saddle to descend comfortably. What was slightly bizarre was that it also gave me knee pain, so much so that I had to cut my ride short. I tried an orange five last year just for fun and it did the same to me so there must be some thing about the positioning on orange bikes that doesn’t agree with me. I had problems with chainsuck on the test ride as well. Had decided the bike wasn’t for me and was almost finished on a benign piece of track and I came off the bike hard, front wheel washed out on a dry rocky trail. I’m thinking I had my weight back so much that the front wheel was unweighted and I’ve just slightly touched the front wheel on the grass at the edge of the trail and that was it gone. Annoying as I’ve ridden that bit loads of time and it’s not technical and I wasn’t trying hard either was just rolling to take the bike back. Anyway nothing broken on me or the bike but I’m lacking a lot of skin 🙂

Both the Orange and the Trek didn’t have the downhill switchback problem of the Kona.

So I think I am convinced by a short travel full suspension but with limited ability to try and test near me the I’m wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to what to look at. I’m looking at spending less than £1500 so am more than happy to look at last years model. Both above bikes were last years.

Currently liking the Cannondale Rz120-2 from last year.

Any suggestions about bikes, geometry sizing welcome. (i’m 5ft 7)

Thanks

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Second hand Cannondale Rush?

kjrogers

would prefer to buy a new bike

franciscobegbie
    Free Member

Discounted Giant Anthem from Pauls Cycles?

slackalice
    Free Member

Check out the KTM bikes, they look promising, I haven’t ridden one yet so can’t comment on that. However, they do short travel FS and they seem to be priced competitively.

Ghost also appear to have a good rep.

+1 for the Anthem too

njee20
    Free Member

Trek Top Fuel or Fuel EX?

I’d recommend carrying on as you are – try lots, buy what you like most!

chakaping
    Free Member

Your current bike is a medium and the ones you’ve tried are more towards medium/large – is that deliberate? Do you feel your current bike is too small?

Anyway I agree with njee, you seem quite particular so don’t buy anythign without trying it first!

thats_not_my_name
    Free Member

Yeah, for what it’s worth, I’m the same height as you and ride a 16″ Orange ST4, which fits me fine (80mm stem). An 18″ would be too long in the top-tube for my personal preference.

pedwarpimp
    Free Member

New to the forum and mountain biking generally, I just changed from a hard tail to a whyte t-120s 2011 model, very impressed was going to keep hard tail for on road commutes but there is very little to no pedal bob on the whyte, so found climbing no harder and certainly no slower than the hardtail. I’m not one for praising my own gear, but so far couldn’t be happier.

Well actual that’s not strictly true, I’m interested in getting a dropper post, but struggling due to the 27.2 seat post sizing.

Cost wise was about what you said you were looking to spend.

transapp
    Free Member

If you can get one, a Giant Anthem sounds like It would fit the bill nicely. With all full sus bikes, there is always some bob. I ridden behind people numorous times as they tell me there is absolutly no bob, watching the suspension working away in timeto thief peddling, however I’d say the maestro suspension on the giant is better than most. Can’t offer advice on size other than at 6″ and 34′ inside leg, the large fits me very well.

Captain-Pugwash
    Free Member

I’ve heard that the new Genesis Grapil is just around the corner if you don’t mind waiting a few weeks. Looks like it could be a nice ride.

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/prototypes/full-sus-prototype/full-sus-prototype

LMT
    Free Member

Im set on getting a Speshi Camber Expert 120mm travel full bouncer, just waiting to get one in the sales, £2k is a bit steep, last year they went down to £1.5 for the expert will pick one up hopefully!!

I had a quick go on a Fuel Ex7 17.5 and a Giant Trance x2 (M) and the Camber (M) the camber felt just right, especially when compared to my Orange P7 that i normally ride.

kjrogers

Was thinking about the Giant but was unsure if the steep head angle would make the bike really twitchy.

I tried the 18″ Orange as that felt almost cramped in the top tube so thought smaller would be too small. I wanted to try a 17.5 Trek but they did not have one available to hire. I seem to be inbetween in the sizes.

I’ve had a look at the geometry and my Kona seems to have a longer top tube than any of the 18″ full suspension bikes. I run a 75mm stem.

I do like the look of the Camber as well but as you say they are a bit steep and difficult to find discounted. I did think it felt right when sitting on one in the shop.

What I’m not sure of as well is what made the Orange feel awkward. Why did I feel that I was sitting behind it when pedalling but then felt far too over the bars when descending ?

Unfortunately I don’t think I will be able to try anything like the Giant offroad as bike shop at Glentress doesn’t stock them and I’m not sure of any offroad centres near me that does.

Euro
    Free Member

I’m finding now though that as I go a bit faster my legs are taking a hammering on the downhill.

That’s the was it’s supposed to be. They (you’re legs) are fantastic as a rear suspension unit. It might just be lack of match fitness as you’ve only got back to riding recently. I’d stick with it as IME, the stanes are perfect hardtail terrain.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Pedalon have medium 2011 Anthem X2’s for £1,400 which is a bargain, £2,300 new!

Rides brilliantly up and down, no bob what so ever. If your worried about steep head angle worth a try first I guess. I personally don’t find it an issue.

DT78
    Free Member

Definitely an anthem, I’m currently riding a 2009 x1, brilliant bit of kit.

Personally I do notice the bob but garmin gps doesn’t lie and I’m significantly quicker on climbs than my similar weight hardtail. Just cause it bobs doesn’t mean its necessarily a bad thing.

Head angle is fine, some people chose to use 120 fork to make it more ‘trail’. I’m happy with 100.

transapp
    Free Member

The head angle on the giant is fine, even with 90mm forks on it (I ride u turns on mine). There is bob when you look down, but it’s not noticeable in feel. Can’t say enough good things about them, coming from rigid and hard tails, I’m converted to full sus.

Check out the wmb reviews of them (links on the giant site)

kjrogers

I am considering staying with the hardtail and fitting an air fork to the front as I felt the air forks on the hire bikes were far better than the coil rockshox recon that is on the bike at them moment.

How much difference does the head angle make ? I’ve spotted the prices at Pedalon as well and there are some definite bargains to be had.

Is this something to be at all concerned about or have I been reading too many magazines ? Can also lessen the head angle on the Anthem with a adjustable headset.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“How much difference does the head angle make ? I’ve spotted the prices at Pedalon as well and there are some definite bargains to be had. “

You are to some extent been taken in by the marketing hype. Slang angles make DH a little easier, but they are half as flickable and fun in singletrack.

I went from a 130mm FS slacker angled bike to the 100mm Anthem and its easily as quick, if not quicker DH.

GO and ride a 2012 Anthem to see what you think, its the same geometry as the 2011

_tom_
    Free Member

imo super slack isn’t that important, I like it about 68 degrees which still can feel a bit bargey at times but it’s good for the type of stuff I ride (kind of DH but more jump based!)

higgo
    Free Member

I am considering …. fitting an air fork to the front as I felt the air forks on the hire bikes were far better than the coil rockshox recon that is on the bike at them moment.

It’s almost certainly not air vs. coil – they were probably just better (damped) forks. You can get good and bad air and coil forks.

A better fork will certainly transform a HT.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Swapped an Anthem X with 120mm forks for a Camber last year, and whilst I loved the Anthem X, the Camber is a completely different bag. I love the geometry on it, it’s very forgiving and belies its 120mm travel. The majority of the guys I ride with are on 140mm travel and I don’t feel underbiked on it. So saying, one of the guys totally outrides me on a 100mm Anthem…

rainbow
    Free Member

Giant Anthem, you cant go wrong with that, great bike

smiff
    Free Member

you’d be amazed what difference a good fork can make on just about any bike.. if i were you, which i’m not, i’d buy a nice fork, try that (maybe with diff bars/stem too), then if still not happy look for a frame deal (based on test rides if possible, reviews if not) and transfer all bits over. probably not what you want but just throwing that out there. works best if you have someone to do the labour for you or want to learn to build a bike :p

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Help choosing a short travel full suspension bike.’ is closed to new replies.