Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Help – Chillie too hot !
  • Woody
    Free Member

Made an enormous ie. 12 portions + pot of chillie con carne last night and for some reason, despite using my normal recipe and chilli’s (scotch bonnet) it is ‘blow your head off hot’. 😳

Rather enjoyed it myself, aided by several cans of suitable coolant but partner and daughter are due home tonight and will not be imnpressed !

I have put a whole potato in it as I remember reading somewhere that it absorbs some of the spice but any suggestions welcome as long as they don’t involve cooking a new batch. Cheers

GrahamS

Serve with big dods of cream and guacamole.

glenh
    Free Member

M/W/C TFU?

Seriously, there’s not a lot you can do, but adding sugar can help, but obviously makes it sweeter.

You could mix/serve with natural yogurt or creme fresh etc. Again it will alter the taste but will reduce the heat.

Woody
    Free Member

M/W/C TFU?

LOL 😀

Cheers guys – sounds like a good plan and has the added bonus that they’ll think I have put a bit of effort into getting ‘all the bits’ for a proper mexican meal + daughter will probably need the extra calories after being at uni for the past few weeks.

<runs off to Tesco>

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Defintely natural yogourt or soured cream. Either work well and remove the heat

WhatWouldJesusRide
    Free Member

Woody

aided by several cans of suitable coolant

Lovely!

Will be using this quote in future.

Drac

daughter will probably need the extra calories after being at uni for the past few weeks.

/Resists the obvious yoghurt joke.

AndyP
    Free Member

HTFU or cook them something else. Don’t go spoiling it with dairy products.

BoardinBob

Brown sugar reduces the heat

jedi

mmmmmmm looking forward to my naga curry tonight.
    unlike the one i had in burnley that had whole nagas in it but no where near the heat/flavour 🙁

veggie chilli for me

macmclaren
    Free Member

daughter will probably need the extra calories after being at uni for the past few weeks.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

5 mins later and im still in stitches. 😆

Woody
    Free Member

Resists the obvious yoghurt joke.

Thanks – just wait until yours are a few years older 😉

Drac

Thanks – just wait until yours are a few years older

Hehehehe!

Filthy
    Free Member

throw a load of chocolate in it, that should do the trick

miketually
    Free Member

Make another batch without chilli in, then mix the two together.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

YEs Drac, very funny…gave me quite the giggles that one…not that obvious either, don’t be so modest

Woody
    Free Member

Make another batch without chilli in, then mix the two together

That sounds like the ‘too much extra work’ option! Been shopping and will take the slightly easier way out by adding some more mushrooms, peppers and another tin of kidney beans. If they still think it’s too hot I have the yoghurt/salsa/guacamole on standby as recommended above.

Filthy
    Interesting idea. I saw a programme a while back where they cooked a venison with chocolate stew and people seemed to like it. Have you tried it ?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

choclate and chili works well, but use coco powder not chocolate, tastes much better.

vennison tatest good with anything strong/sweet. Best recipie ive come accross is to put dried dates in the stew, with carrots, potato, parsnip etc.

And the yogurt joke was obvious, well to me anyway, but then i was a student till last year.

Woody
    Free Member

Thanks spoon – might give that a try.

And the yogurt joke was obvious, well to me anyway

And to me ……………..unfortunately 😆

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Help – Chillie too hot !’ is closed to new replies.