Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Help, chainring bolt
  • jcromton
    Free Member

Hi,

Three of my chainring bolts came off easily enough, but I can't for the life of me get the 4th one off. It's one of those silly designs and I've got the special tool but no matter how hard I try it won't budge. I definitely lubed it up last time.

Any inside lines on how best to remove it without damaging the chainring?

Also, can you get bolts that don't have that silly design on the back of them?

Cheers

Chris

qwerty
    Free Member

💡 try refitting the other 3 bolts tightly and then see if the 4th will budge

gee
    Free Member

Lots of GT-85? By the correct tool is it one of those Shimano pin spanners? Longer allen key?

luked2
    Free Member

If all else fails, drill it out.

If it's all just seized solid can't you just put a bigger lever on it? Or is it spinning round uselessly?

trail_rat
    Free Member

truvativ make some with 5mm allen key one side and 6 on the other side

i suggest refitting the other three tightening them , tapping the remaining one with a hammer , lubing up and then removing !

Olly
    Free Member

agree with above 🙂
    as far as know there are 3 types of chainring bolt

5mm : pin spanner (old shimano)
    Torque : Pin spanner (new shimano xt?)

5mm/6mm, which strikes meas much more sensible.

i got 4 on a crankset yaaars ago, and have been transfering them from crankset to crankset

MrSalmon
    Free Member

If it's the middle ring you could trap the tool between it and the inner ring, to get a bit more purchase on it.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

You fail at lubing stuff!

Bring it in tomorrow and I'll drill it out for you.

Truvativ do bolts with 5mm one side/6mm the other instead of 5mm and the pin thing.

jcromton
    Free Member

Cheers guys!

It is just spinning round uselessly. It was the first one I tried – when all the others were done up tightly so I did try that way.

I did lube it up a lot! The other 3 still had nice grease on them so this should be no exception!

I want some of those Truativ ones, sounds much much more sensible. Do you have them Luke? I'll be in tomorrow for sure.

It's all so I can have some XTR bling on my guide bike for the summer.

jcromton
    Free Member

p.s. I didn't fail at lubing you last night did I?

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

OMFGROFLZORS!

We've not got any sadly, CRC is the place to go.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Help, chainring bolt’ is closed to new replies.