• This topic has 17 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by hooja.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Help… chain slippage on newly built Fargo 1×11
  • hooja
    Free Member

I could do with some advice.
    Just built a Fargo and it is truly ace! But… it keeps slipping under load making it unrideable up hills!
    I have indexed and tweaked every way possible and no joy, so thinking it can only be my chainring but it’s an expensive thing to replace unless im sure. Setup is:
    11-42 sunrace cassette (new)
    SRAM Apex r mech (new)
    Kmc 11 speed chain ( new)
    Middleburn uno 32t hardcoat, 3/32 chainring ( not new)
    I can’t think what else it can be!
    I can even get it to slip/graunch/throw the chain, just by standing on the crank with the back brake on!
    Never had an issue like this before… right fed up!
    Any help appreciated

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

Is the mech sitting right and getting a good amount of chain wrap round the casette? The large cogs can suffer from this (i had to reduce to a 40 from a 42 due to same on a xt 10 speed set up with expander

scotroutes

Check you don’t have a twisted link in the chain.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    simondbarnes

( not new)

It’ll be this then

cynic-al
    Free Member

can even get it to slip/graunch/throw the chain, just by standing on the crank with the back brake on

Can’t you see where it’s jumping?

hooja
    Free Member

Yep, mech is sat right and it will slip in any gear, not just on the 42
    Twisted link on a new chain? had a look but all looks good and it will slip at any point on the chain
    simondbarnes, how can you be so sure? its not that old and they are very hardwearing

Im not sure the uno should work at all with an 11spd chain?

Is anyone running an uno with a 1×11 setup?

Am i going to have to buy a x type spider and a suitable 4 bolt chainring? hope not

hooja
    Free Member

cynical, i have tried (was trying out in the dark on the trail, no joy there) had a quick look when i got home but to difficult to see when I’m the one standing on the cranks

hooja
    Free Member

Just ordered a Middleburn UNO Thick Thin chainring, from the lovely people at BETD. Fingers crossed that will solve the problem!

billyboy
    Free Member

Chain line? There are cranks out there now with different chain lines. Put the wrong one on and you’ll struggle.

hooja
    Free Member

Chainline is all good and it will slip the same in any gear

otsdr
    Free Member

I don’t think it is possible to have the chainring slip and still retain the chain all the time; broken freehub?

benp1

What is slipping? The cassette or the chain ring? (unless i missed that already?)

mcj78
    Free Member

Chain too long? In combination with bad b-screw adjustment at the back? Gypsy curse?

*Edit – loose lockring?

hooja
    Free Member

It doesn’t retain the chain all the time, it throws the chain at least every three slips
    Chain is good, I even tried it with two links removed and it made no difference!
    B screw adjustment is spot on too

wwaswas

I’d be looking at the freehub too.

hooja
    Free Member

Hadn’t tested the freehub as wheels were sold to me lightly used by the bike shop owner, who sold me the frame. Just assumed it was fine, seems it is!
    Just got home and put markers on cassette and wheel, stamped on crank and had a right old crunch but zero movement of the cassette. Has to be the 3/32 uno chainring?

mcj78
    Free Member

If everything else is new & set up is spot on it looks like it might be… come to think of it – I actually replaced the chain & cassette on my commuter earlier this year, thought the rings were fine*, turns out they weren’t – another £55 and 2 new chainrings later I was back in action 😆

*they were with a worn chain

hooja
    Free Member

For what it’s worth, if anyone has the same problem. The solution was a new chainring, my old 3/32 uno isn’t worn, it just seems it can’t handle the range of an 11speed cassette, nor the narrowness of an 11speed chain.
    The new middleburn uno thick thin chainring has done the trick ( thanks BETD) and as a side note, a salsa Fargo with 2.4 tyres, appears to be the most fun you can have on a bike at a trail centre! I’m thinking it may end up being the most fun you can have on a bike on natural trails and long tours too, time will tell

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Help… chain slippage on newly built Fargo 1×11’ is closed to new replies.