• This topic has 14 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by cy.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Help! Chain rings for a good 2 x 9 set up? (Hammerschmidt to be sold content!)
  • freeform5spot
    Free Member

Bother!

Just found out that the Hammerschmidt that is on its way WONT fit on the BFe (that is also on its way!)

Have been running a double and bash (22/32T) for a while but would like some more grunt.

Would a 22/36 or 22/23 work i.e. would a standard front mech be able to shift the chain OK?

Also, which cranks for a good strength vs weight ratio?

If anyone wants a set of Hammerschmidt cranks, let me know!

thomthumb
    Free Member

running a 22 36 set up with standard deore kit (bought a groupset and a 36T ring)

need to run the front mech really high – but it all works fine.

MrNutt
    Free Member

how much you looking for it?

freeform5spot
    Free Member

cheers mate

wrt: hammerschmidt, as close to £400 as possible.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

out of interest, which bit means it won't fit?

freeform5spot
    Free Member

according to Cy, the BB shell etc fits but the actual mechanism wont as it wont clear the chainstay.

Apparantly they were going to change the BDe design so it would fit but this would have added an extra 1/2lb to the weight of the frame.

Bother!

handyman153
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – Member

out of interest, which bit means it won't fit?

I am very interested to know this as well. What is wrong/different with the ISCG fittings on a BFe, compared to the normal ones.

Aslo, very interested in the Hammerschmidt, would you consider some form of part exchange, with a XTR double set up?

Cheers
    Josh

handyman153
    Free Member

Seen you have just replied, i should be quicker at typing 😆

freeform5spot
    Free Member

josh

yes, could well be as long as crank arms in very good nick. email in profile.

Lactic
    Free Member

Have you seen this?

"Matthew's Cotic BFe is finally back from SRAM Germany where it's been fitted with a Hammerschmidt crank system. The BFe required a fair bit of modding (aka chainstay crushing) to get it to fit – hence its trip to SRAM Germany."

freeform5spot
    Free Member

Lactic – did you just fit that now?

emailing now….

freeform5spot
    Free Member

chainstay crushing!!!!!

I guess that invalidates the warranty somewhat!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

can you not send the cranks back, or are they second hand? Sales of goods act etc etc etc

freeform5spot
    Free Member

as new but second hand!

ebay here we come!

cy

There's nothing unusual with the BB and ISCG on the BFe, but as mentioned above, the mechanism won't clear the chainstay. Basically the only way I found of clearing it was with a plate section behind the dropout, which I don't like that much and really does add about 1/3lb to the frame weight compared to a nice tube in there.

In terms of replacements, I think SLX double/bash would be perfect. Off the shelf 22/36, steel pedal inserts, light bash ring, and if you go for the matching double only front mech it pretty much seals against the bashrinig in the outer position. Good option.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Help! Chain rings for a good 2 x 9 set up? (Hammerschmidt to be sold content!)’ is closed to new replies.