Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • help!! Canyon compatibility issues
  • joemcdaid
    Free Member

Is anyone else finding issues replacing parts on a canyon? i am trying to replace the headset and my LBS says the normal 1.5″ bearing won’t fit due to the depth. well i have tried to track down an original headset, it came with an Acros AiX-03 which from what i can tell is german company. However they have no distributors here in the UK, i contacted canyon UK and they said i could purchase a replacement from them however they didnt elude as to how i could go about doing this. has anyone else had this issue and if so how did you get over it, is there another type/brand of bearing that will fit? what i will say is buyers BEWARE canyon may give you a good deal but they use products not readily available over here, i’ll be riding my Trek for the foreseeable future i think!
    Any advice or help will be greatly appreciated, you can even borrow my wife 😉

mr_mills
    Free Member

Any pics of the wife?

joemcdaid
    Free Member

Yeah but you can tell she’s nagging at me in them 🙁

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Ive got some of his wife! 😯

joemcdaid
    Free Member

i can see i’m not going to get a serious answer about the bearings. perhaps next time i wont try and put a joke in!

iamsporticus
    Free Member

Canyon road bikes use non standard headset and stems too which only they sell
    They cost more than the usuals
    Plus postage from Germany
    Plus the aggro of their non flexible couriers

None of which is nice 🙁

PS Did I miss the pics of your wife?

jumping_flea
    Free Member

I have recently changed all the bearings in my suspension of my Nerve XC9. All the bearings were standard sealed radial bearings that I matched from the stamped code.

The main “Radial Pivot” bearing (as advertised on canyon website) was a spherical type bearing – again just matched the code stamped on the bearing.

I did contact Canyon before removing the spherical type bearing, just incase they were a special order and they were quick to reply and offered to supply the bearings, so can’t really fault them.

Not changed headset yet, but ask for cost as see what they say. I would be suprised if you can’t get the LBS to remove it and fit something similar, can’t be that far away from standard

robhenry85
    Free Member

crap, my headsets on its way out! will keep an eye out to see whats best

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Ive got some of his wife!

That’s nothing – should see the video i have 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Acros are distributed by Balfa in this country

http://www.balfa.co.uk/parts/headsets

They’re not a small company or hard to get a hold of, had you seriously never heard of them? They make those neat little headsets with bump stops that stop big forks hitting the downtube on frames with no clearance and the BB’s are pretty good too.

passtherizla
    Free Member

You need 1 of these.. angular contact bearing 40x52x7 45degree shoulder

And one of these… angular contact bearing 41x30x6.5 45 degree shoulder

It seems the top is pretty standard but the bottom one I can’t seem to find.

techsheet

joemcdaid
    Free Member

i have tried balfa but the customer services rep had no solutions and i am yet to hear from them. it’s the bottom bearing 40x52x7 that i need but it would appear it isn’t readily available in the UK. Funny they never mentioned this when i purchased the bike!!!

weirdnumber
    Free Member
    couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

I can confirm that Superstar one works in my Nerve.

joemcdaid
    Free Member

which superstar model is it mate? size,type etc?

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Joe – I can’t do links on phone but the one weirdnumber links to above is perfect for the bottom (assuming tapered steerer or step up crown race for 1 1/8 steerer). Note that you just need the bearing. There is no cup (bearing sits directly in frame).

Also note the top is more “standard”. Also note the cane creek headset finder will give you various options for top and bottom that are readily available.

joemcdaid
    Free Member

couldashouldawoulda
    cheers buddy you are a star

athy62
    Free Member

I ordered my upper one from http://www.simplybearings.co.uk

and bottom one from Superstar Components.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘help!! Canyon compatibility issues’ is closed to new replies.