Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Help! Can't install SLX cranks
  • timothius
    Free Member

Hi All,

Just installing some new SLX cranks. I installed the BB ok, but I can't slide the crank into the BB. It just gets stuck.

Any ideas?

Thanks

cynic-al
    Free Member

stuck at which point?

ton

very light covering of grease on the axle, and a rubber mallet will make it fit.

BigGraham
    Free Member

Yep as Ton says sometimes the seal to the axle is a bit tight just needs a little grease and a 'tickle' with the soft mallet

crotchrocket
    Free Member

if it still sticks, don't force it. Just get a bigger hammer 😉

rotary
    Free Member

sounds like your frame needs to be faced ideally. If the two faces that the BB sits on are not completely square with the thread then it will be hard to insert the shaft all the way through. If it doesn't go with a convincing tap of the mallet then i would suggest getting the frame faced. p.s i assume you are on about hollowtech 2…

nixon_fiend
    Free Member

whack it

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I tapped mine in with rubber mallet – not too hard though

timothius
    Free Member

Thanks for the help!

Ah, went through with a huge twang! Scared the life out of me.

I took the frame into be faced today, (Kinesis Maxlight XC120) but there was not enough thread to get the facing tool fully in. Even so, seems to work fine now! (They also did an excellent job putting the headset cups in)

Luckily, once the axle had gone through the drive side, it slid out the other side without any problems.

On a side note, can you get plugs to plug the hole in the crank axle?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Help! Can't install SLX cranks’ is closed to new replies.