Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Help, can't get my EBB out!
  • PJay
    Free Member

I’m trying to remove the EBB insert from my new Swift frame to grease the inside of the bb shell and to allow access to the downtube to apply some anti-corrosion treatment.

I’ve removed the 2 securing bolts but the insert is stuck solid and won’t rotate, let alone come out. I don’t really want to apply to much force so is there a knack to this?

All that I can think of at present is to soak everything in GT85.

nedrapier

A light **** with a rubber mallet does the trick for me. just breaks any light corrosion/dirt bond and lets the 3in1/GT85/whatever seep round, then you’re all good.

wwaswas

put the BB back in, use the BB tool to ‘overtighten’ the BB cup so the whole EBB moves. Failing that, plus gas.

nedrapier

Further to wwaswas’s, the best order I’ve found for this is to leave the cranks in, grub screws wound out, GT85/3in1, wait a minute, light **** with the mallet, then put an allen key in the hole on the face of the EBB and push it and the EBB round in the shell with crank arm to flush round the grease.

If you need to get the EBB out completely, you can then nip up the grub screws and remove cranks and one BB cup.

coomber
    Free Member

My weekly post to remind people gt85 isn’t a device to remove corrosion. Plus gas or penetrating oil for that.

Rubber mallet for the win I’d say

cjr61

Hit it hard with a runner mallet. Job jobbed.

PJay
    Free Member

It’s a new frame, so not built yet, but I got there in the end with GT85 and a rubber mallet. The Singular FAQ suggests greasing the BB shell which I’ll do before I pop the insert back in; I’ll just have to wait for that filthy Dinitrol ML to dry out!

I must admit that the EBB is new to me. I’ll be running gears so once it’s fitted it’ll be left in place barring maintenance. I’m a little clueless to positioning it; it came fitted with the holes for rotating it in line with the seat tube (the same as the pictures on the Singular website) but to my eye it looks as if the bb compartment is a little low (hard to judge with it being offset). Is this the correct was to position the insert?

wwaswas

Looking from the drive side I’ve always gone for 2 o’clock – chain tension tends to help stop the EBB rotating under power

I use the same with gears or SS.

If you want to shorten the effective stay length run it back a bit or for a lower BB down where the pic shows it.

joshvegas
    Free Member

If you’d been at ssuk you’d witnessed me in my knees two handing a rubber mallet to shift my ebb.

nedrapier

I’ve never had an issue with the EBB rotating, geared or SS. Swift, Peregrine or Puffin.

So set it low for low CofG and quick handling, high if you’re getting rock/pedal strikes, back if you like a steep seattube angle or short stays or if you’re getting toe overlap with a big front tyre and/or massive plates. Forward if you need chainstay clearance for a big chainring or something.

Or any combination!

kcal

nedrapier has it, I tend to use it to trim for height / clearance, or agility / stability. Peregrine and Swift here.

Haven’t had to resort to plus gas, but liberal soaking and gentle taps with rubber hammer have always done the trick, maybe a little ease back and fore with the allen key to shift / rotate it.

Surprised it’s truly stuck from new, it will drift out eventually I’m sure.

PJay
    Free Member

Useful to know, thanks. It’s probably best to set it and leave in; the grub screws seem to have left indentations in the insert from stock, so I probably won’t want to fiddle with it too much.

Initially I’ll be fitting my 3×9 drivechain (44 tooth big ring)from my 26er but might consider a 48,36,26 trekking triple when money allows; would this necessitate a fully forward position?

nedrapier

Marks are nothing to worry about, the grub screws drive into the metal of the insert, that’s how they lock it in place. Older versions had a spike, which meant small adjustments were likely to put the spike close enough that it found the previous indent and lost the adjustment. The newer ones have a sharp-edged hollow cup in the end so that’s not really an issue any more.

epicyclo

Stuck EBB?

Loosen the nuts, take the bike for a ride, and the EBB will free up, guaranteed.

Suggest you pad the toptube in case your mighty reproductive sacs make a dent in it when the EBB frees off suddenly.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Help, can't get my EBB out!’ is closed to new replies.