Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • HELP! cannot decide between Giant Reign X or Orange Alpine 160 frame
  • zangolin
    Free Member

Not exactly of world importance, but…………..
    Have ridden both frames, liked both equally.
    Will be built up with RS U-T Lyriks.
    Not far off £500 differene between the 2 frames.
    I am to impatiant to wait for the 2010 Reign X frame.
    Which to buy?

fozzybear
    Free Member

£500 difference??

wl
    Free Member

There’s a very recent issue of Dirt with a mini-test that rated the Alpine 160 the best 160/160mm bike you can curretly buy. I’ve ridden one and loved it. Fantastic all-day all-mountain frameset, which punches well above its weight on the descents. I would say it depends what you want the bike for, but I reckon with an Alpine it doesn’t really matter coz it’ll do everything.

zangolin
    Free Member

fozzybear – Member

£500 difference??

😯 Alright to be exact £433.94 difference from were I am getting it. 3 years 0%.

zangolin
    Free Member

wl – Member
    There’s a very recent issue of Dirt with a mini-test that rated the Alpine 160 the best 160/160mm bike you can curretly buy. I’ve ridden one and loved it. Fantastic all-day all-mountain frameset, which punches well above its weight on the descents. I would say it depends what you want the bike for, but I reckon with an Alpine it doesn’t really matter coz it’ll do everything.

Yes I read that test article. Big rocky descents, drop offs, Alpine/ Pyrenees stuff is my thing. Both frames will handle that no problem. Just which ****** one to choose?

Olly
    Free Member

not ridden either, but i bum giants.
    maestro is RAD.
    433 quid is a lot of money!!
    then again, an alpine has one pivot to look after, a reign has 10 (my trance has 10 at least)

oooo its a toughy.
    i would get the reign myself, maestro pisses on single pivot IMO

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

the 2010 reign x is a looooooooooooooooot lighter, sub 30lb is achievable without being stupid.

I did love my test ride on the reign x though, sooo hooliganish!

Olly
    Free Member

….also for what its worth as i understand it the alpine is poor value, purely because of its “radical” angles….

(or so i read)

wl
    Free Member

My money would be on the Alpine. I’ve ridden Patriots for years and I’m a big fan of single pivot Oranges – simple, robust, good climbers and amazing handling.

fozzybear
    Free Member

Olly

….also for what its worth as i understand it the alpine is poor value, purely because of its “radical” angles….

(or so i read)
    poor “value” due to “radical” angles!! WTF!!! seriously you’ve read far to much MBR!!
    nothing “radical” about the alpine, seats a deree or 2 slacker, wheelbase in 2 n a bit inches longer than a tracer VP, it’s .5 degree slacker than a intense VP tracer in 6 inch mode.. go back to your mags!!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

can you soemhow elaborate in the vlue/angles comment?

is it becasue its slacker and longer, but surely that makes the tubes longer, thus meaning your getting better value for money?

How did you arrive at 10 pivots, i counted 4, unless your counting DS and NDS and shock bushings, in which case the orange has 4 as well?

fozzybear
    Free Member

*tumble weed goes by* clearly reading up some MRB article about “value of angles”!

i rode an old Reign and i ride a 08 heckler both had good and bad points. my question would be do you see the difference between a alpine and the £500 difference to the reign?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘HELP! cannot decide between Giant Reign X or Orange Alpine 160 frame’ is closed to new replies.