Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Help – Bottom Bracket inter-operability
  • latham2104
    Free Member

Hello all,

Quick question that i am struggling to find the answer too. Keep getting conflicting answers on t'interweb.

Upgrading my LX Chainset to SLX Chainset (before the comments come back as too why not XT – its because i am vain and i like the colour of the SLX and it offers a good upgrade path without the high cost for a 40g saving). The question is, is the existing BB (hollowtech 2) which is the bike, compatable with the new SLX chainset? Therefore negating the need to swap over the BB.

I can swap the BB over if really needed, byt would rather not have the hassle. The existing BB is only 6 month old.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers

coffeeking
    Free Member

The existing BB is only 6 month old.

Can't answer your question, sorry,but if you listen to STW users your existing BB will be beyond dead already, FACT!

Mister-P
    Free Member

Yes, your LX BB can be used with an SLX chainset.

latham2104
    Free Member

Cool. Thanks Mister P.

igm

Is LX to SLX an upgrade?

Mister-P
    Free Member

They certainly look nicer.

bigyinn
    Free Member

More of a side step i'd say.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Yes, you can use the LX bottom bracket with SLX cranks. No justification for opting for SLX required!

It might be a good opportunity to swap the BB though, seeing as you'll have the cranks off anyway, it's not a difficult job and those older Shimano units don't last as long.

latham2104
    Free Member

Cheers PJM. I knew there would be some comments on 'upgrading to SLX from LX' 🙄 Will give installing the new BB a go..i have the tools to do it – was just a bit nervous about getting spacers right etc, but i guess i could just copy what is in there already???

igm

It's very very easy. Copy what's there (assuming it works well enough now), don't cross thread it and you can't really go wrong.

And yes they look nicer – are they better, who knows?

Mister-P
    Free Member

The middle ring on SLX is reputedly longer wearing as it is composite with steel teeth rather than aluminium.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Help – Bottom Bracket inter-operability’ is closed to new replies.