Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Help!!!!… Beginner runner in a world of pain!!!
  • seanoc
    Free Member

Dreadful advice – the muscular pain won’t be apparent for a while after any run and a fit cyclist will be able to run quite some distance before feeling other pains/discomfort.
    OP – please don’t follow that daft advice!

If it’s muscular it’s no problem, carry on and your muscles will tear and repair making you stronger and faster; obviously after a suitable recovery. If you slip, or twist, or fall and have an immediate onset of soreness then stop and don’t run until your good.

Of course MF I imagine you do ultra’s all the time and completely know what you are talking about, although I imagine you don’t.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Of course MF I imagine you do ultra’s all the time and completely know what you are talking about, although I imagine you don’t.

No I don’t, but I don’t need to ‘do ultras’ (although I do know you don’t need an apostrophe in there) to know that recommending someone who doesn’t run to just go out and run until he is in pain is a stupid thing to advise.

It might be good advice for someone who DOES do ultras but then I wouldn’t know would I?

stever
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend any places I can get fitted up arouns Stockport / Manchester way?

Running Bear, Alderley Edge any good to you? Good shop.

phil.w
    Free Member

Sorry? I don’t understand your argument. I spent money having the ‘correct’ shoes fitted (as is often recommended on here) and my experience of it is that it led to problems, not solved them. So my experience suggests that getting the ‘right pair’ correctly fitted isn’t necessarily right for some runners

My point was your experience has shown how much difference shoes can make. This was apparent as you mentioned with your original shoes you enjoyed running and with the replacement you always have sore feet & blisters.

Hence shoes can make a big difference.

The fact you spent a lot of money on shoes you thought were being fitted ‘correctly’ is irrelephant to the fact that shoes make a difference.

I think it only shows that they were not right for you. This has nothing to do with the cost. And goes to highlight my second point that all people are different and therefore it really is a case of trying to find what works for you.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I think it only shows that they were not right for you. This has nothing to do with the cost. And goes to highlight my second point that all people are different and therefore it really is a case of trying to find what works for you.

Okay – so are you for or against having shoes ‘properly fitted’? 😕

monkey_boy
    Free Member

i feel your pain, started running 6 months ago and it was tough.

best advice buy the most expensive pair of running trainers you can find, get them fitted in a ‘proper shop’.

made the world of difference, my pair of asics has transformed the running, where to a point im actually enjoying it!

(i hadnt read any of the above – but still stand by my view)

monkey_boy
    Free Member

and my experience of it is that it led to problems, not solved them.

how long did you try them for, one run, two runs?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

how long did you try them for, one run, two runs?

Err no, used them for quite a while, about 3 months running several times a week leading up to a 10k race then a while afterwards until I got fed up of them and went back to my old and knackered ones.

phil.w
    Free Member

so are you for or against having shoes ‘properly fitted’?

I’m for using shoes that fit properly 🙂

To try and answer your question, I don’t believe even the best shoe fitter in the world can pick off the shelf the perfect shoe every time in a 30min or so ‘fitting’.

I think the person in the best position to fit you a pair of shoes is yourself. Though this takes understanding of the different gates and how shoes are designed to work with these, then comparing this to how you run and what you want from a shoe.

This takes time, experience and often buying the wrong pair of shoes once or twice. This is where the ‘fitter’ service comes in.

In the majority of cases a knowledgeable fitter will be able to recommend a shoe that works. It may not be the best, but it will more often than not be suitable. Thus avoiding the situation of buying the wrong shoe. And they are a substitute for gaining your own knowledge and experience – perfect for the beginner/novice.

Obviously this doesn’t always work. There will be times when the fitter gets it wrong – maybe lack of knowledge, not enough info from the runner, miss communication or they just couldn’t care.

You’ll find most club runners, once they have found a shoe/brand that suits them they stick to it. The price is not the leading factor, if cheap shoes work then lucky you. Doesn’t mean buying expensive shoes is wrong.

surfer
    Free Member

You’ll find most club runners, once they have found a shoe/brand that suits them they stick to it. The price is not the leading factor, if cheap shoes work then lucky you. Doesn’t mean buying expensive shoes is wrong.

It usually works out cheaper this way. I go through shoes quite quickly and I just buy last years colour etc.
    Choice of shoe is one thing but its important to throw them out when they are worn and running shoes have an EVA midsole which compresses and offers little protection after several hundred miles. Having the most expensive pair of shoes which are compressed and mishapen because they are 18 months old will cause just as many problems.

surfer
    Free Member

Unless you are 6 years old I am not sure “fit” is such an issue. You dont need a retail expert to tell you when shoes are too big or too small, lacing them up and walking around the shop is usually enough!

Pyro

M_F – Yours is an interesting case, and a definite screw-up by U&R. I have the opposite experience with another shop which transformed my running for the better (as we’ve noted before).

What I’d say is not to take one numpty’s ****-up as indicative of the whole industry. I’ve seen U&R’s gait analyses in progress and I wouldn’t trust them either – despite being good friends with two of their shop managers. I go to an independent shop (Accelerate in Sheffield) where, again, I know the owner and know his qualifications run quite a way beyond an in-house course. I trust his advice but also know that, ultimately, the decision is my own. If I think a sales assistant is trying to pull a fast one, they aren’t getting my money. Having tried out 12 pairs of shoes on my last trip (to buy a set of trail shoes to run an Ultra in), I’m pretty sure a fast buck isn’t what Stu from Accelerate was thinking of.

nicko74

Hey, the other thing for the OP that’s just occurred to me (although it’s probably been covered already) is to genuinely take it steady next time. If you think about it, 40 minutes’ walking would leave you in no pain whatsoever; 40 minutes’ sprinting would leave you unable to walk for a day or two. So definitely start on the gentle end, and consciously slow yourself down a bit, and then build up speed over the weeks.

ourmaninthenorth

irrelephant

My new word of the day. Thanks, phil.w. 😀

thegreatape
    Free Member

gravitysucks – I don’t know much about shoes and all that they’re arguing about, but I do know that this

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k-plan.aspx

has been very good for me – no injuries, and my steam train impression now lasts 30mins without stopping.

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Cheers everyone, will take it all on board.

Was actually using this as an escape from the stress / shite at the mo.
    Bloody typical its just added to it! lol

druidh
    Free Member

thegreatape – that’s the same 5k plan linked to earlier in the thread.

From my point of view, that seems to be aimed at someone who just isn’t fit at all – you’re actual couch-potato. For anyone approaching running anew with a decent level of bike-fitness, it’s all a bit underwhelming. Is there something more appropriate?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Ah, didn’t read through properly.

You’re right I think, and I’m not qualified to suggest anything else. Having said that, I don’t suppose it does any harm to start off gently until your running muscles get used to it, even if it’s too easy from a CV point of view?

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Best not too have a warm bath, if you want your legs to be better foe the next day, jump in a clod bath for a few minutes. I did this once after a 24 hour race and I was a lot better the next day.

The optimal temperature for recovery in a shower is 14 degree C, but not many people have a thermometer in the shower.

druidh
    Free Member

duggan – thanks for that. There’s a plan for a half marathon too! Only problem is that they all assume a “beginner” has been running for a year 😕

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Help!!!!… Beginner runner in a world of pain!!!’ is closed to new replies.