• This topic has 40 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • HELP! Back has just gone and can't stand up – now what do I do?????
  • robdob
    Free Member

Putting socks getting ready to go out on bike. MASSIVE pain in lower back forced me to collapse on floor. Managed to get to medicine box to grab deep freeze and a diclofenac whilst in agony , now on sofa in pain without moving. What on earth do I do now?

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Wait it out dude – it’ll go away.

Same happens to me every year or two due to an old motorcycle injury.

A day or so and it usually reduces enough.

robdob
    Free Member

I have to eat and things like that!! I can’t spend 48hrs on the sofa !!!
    Chuff me backwards it’s painful.

robdob
    Free Member

I hurt my neck a few years ago and had to be off work for 8 weeks. This is way more painful.

anokdale
    Free Member

Nightmare, if you have any numbness or tingling sensations then i would give the NHS direct line a call, other than that i would diclofenic myself and wait until the spasam subsides and maybe have a wee dram or two. Good luck.

swavis

I sometimes find a heat pack helps. Not a lot you can do really untill the drugs kick in I’m affraid.
    Hope it clears soon for you though, I hate it when I feel the warning twinge just before mine goes 🙁

robdob
    Free Member

No numbness. I can move but it’s mega painful. Spasm might be what it is. I have the tv remote and iPhone to hand so its not all bad but there’s only snooker on. 🙁

Heat or cold better? Might be able to get a hot water bottle and I do have some Deep Freeze and could get to frozen peas maybe.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Where’s your wife ffs? Out gallivanting about? That’s no good is it?

I’m afraid you’re knacked. Oh well.

Can I have your bike?

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Heat is better if it is indeed a spasm.

robdob
    Free Member

Elf – she’s on holiday with her mum.

No it isn’t any good. 😉

My bike’s too big for you and you’re not man enough to handle it anyway. 😉

TonyL
    Free Member

Find yourself a nice young blond “sports” physiotherapist and go for a guilt free massage! Worked on my back.

swavis

Heat works for me.

[edit]Massage with blonde sounds better 😉 [/edit]

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Tony forgot to mention that the blonde was a guy.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

On holiday with her mum?? How selfish and inconsiderate. Did she not think what if you did your back in?

Don’t want your bike anyway it’s rubbish. 🙁

Can I have your wife’s bike?

swavis

Oh well, I’d stick with the heat pack then…

robdob
    Free Member

Ok, trying to get up now. I’m hungry.

[tries to get up]

AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHH!

Nope, not yet. 🙁

robdob
    Free Member

I can’t get to a heat pack. What do I do? Not getting even slightly easier. I honestly can hardly move.

corroded
    Free Member

My back goes in a very, very painful way every year or two. I wait out the first two or three days then do gentle stretches and exercises. Mine goes into spasm and heat certainly helps – a very hot shower loosens my back up once I can stand. I lie on the floor and draw my knees up to relax the muscles. Getting out of bed in the morning is an experience too – I use a stick to hobble around the house. If I can get to the doc I get prescribed valium and for the first days I dose myself on ibuprofen. Hang in there.

robdob
    Free Member

I’ll try again to get to kitchen. Gotta get heat on it.

Android
    Free Member

Mine went after my ride this morning, agony carrying the bike up the steps.

Dropped some ibuprofen and a hot bath, I find it better to try and do stuff around the house and keep moving, rather than lying flat on my back for days. sometimes find a ride helps things sort them selves out, if you can get your leg over as it were.

corroded
    Free Member

I’ve been known to crawl… it can take me half an hour to cross a room!

jamiep
    Free Member

last time i **** my back I was totally immobile for about 6 hours, passing out. Then, over a period of an hour I managed to slide about 10yards to get my phone to call nhs24 for a paramedic. Posted the keys out so she could come in.

I was given diclofenac and valium. Phoned up again an hour later cos I still couldnt move so she returned with a morphine shot, which did the trick (and is very more-ish!)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Call a doctor, or someone to take you to one!

backhander
    Free Member

I had exactly the same thing happen to me a few years ago.
    After 24hrs on the floor, we called an ambulance. They gave me gas&air to get me into the wagon and the hospital gave me a voltarol injection in the leg. It worked, but I still get back pain sometimes now although yoga is helping.

pennine
    Free Member

I go the other way and use a bag of frozen peas wrapped in a towel. You do have to get to the freezer though and yes the pain is something else. My method is to use any object to lean on and press down on my arms. A chair, door handle, radiator, kitchen cabinet, anything really. It works for me. usually settles down after a couple of days but then I can’t straighten up until I visit the osteopath a few days later. I don’t think professionals like to manipulate until the inflamation subsides. Best of luck.

rondo101
    Free Member

I find it better to try and do stuff around the house and keep moving, rather than lying flat on my back for days.

This is what the docs will tell you and is my experience too. Staying still is the worst thing for it; you’ll be able to get in a position where there’s some respite from the pain but it’ll be worse when you try to move again. Take some ibuprofen to get the inflammation down and try to move around. I feel for you though – it’s a horrible thing to go through.

Long-term solution to stop it happening again is to regularly do core exercises – crunches, plank, sit-ups etc.

robdob
    Free Member

Hmm seems that my wife has taken the hot water bottle and the wheat bag on holiday (she has a bad neck long term).
    Managed to get to toilet before I pee’d my pants so that’s good. A lot of screaming and moaning has taken place during that escapade.
    At least the F1 is on now. Just contacted a friend of mine who is a physio.

donsimon
    Free Member

I think it would be best to find out exactly what the problem is. Slipped disc? Trapped nerve? Something else?
    I suffer occasionally from trapped nerves and generally take anti-inflammatories for a couple of weeks, one one occasion a friend called round to drop off some Valium, it took about 20mins to get from the bed to the front door, a distance of about 10m! Getting off the bed had me yelping with pain… Not nice.

robdob
    Free Member

Physio friend said try to keep moving an get heat on it. Paracetamol and codeine too. Got drugged up and sprayed back with deep freeze and managed a short walk to local shops. Got painkillers and hot water bottle now, oh and a big dirty KFC. I know what it’s like to be very old now, tool 5 times longer than normal. Feels a bit better now I’ve moved around a bit. Got heat on it now. Bit more positive now.
    Such a nice day for riding too!
    If it’s not noticeably better by Monday I’ll be going to the doctors.

FoxyChick
    Free Member

tool 5 times longer than normal

😯 Holy sh!t!!!!!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

robdob – Member

Physio friend said try to keep moving an get heat on it. Paracetamol and codeine too.

this is the best advice. Pain gets too bad get onto NHS 24 for some serious pills

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

FoxyChick you have a filthy mind…

Hmm seems that my wife has taken the hot water bottle and the wheat bag

Bang out of order.

Can I have her bike then?

BTW what’s a ‘wheat bag’?

psling
    Free Member

I think he’s talking about how long it took to get to the shops FoxyChick so don’t get your hopes up; 10 minutes is only actually achievable by Sting and the likes… 8)

Drac

Isn’t it amazing your back had ‘gone’ and no way you could move. Then you manage to get to KFC.

Hallejauh it’s a miracle.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I have some spare Co-Codamol if you need them…..?

robdob
    Free Member

Drac, thankfully I think I’ve pulled a muscle rather than damaged any spinal bits. I had to go out to get painkillers and a hot water bottle anyway, no choice. The shops are only 200 feet away and I went to 3 shops there but it took me over an hour.

Drac

Did you have a bargain bucket and yes of course it was muscular.

Sorry I’m on nights makes me grumpy.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

So you sprayed deep freeze stuff on it and then fired some heat on it – that’ll work. 😀

robdob
    Free Member

I didn’t have anything else. I know I needed heat but the only option was maybe to get the cat to do a warm trump on my back, which might have taken a while.

robdob
    Free Member

Drac, it was a 3 piece variety meal and a fillet burger meal. So dirty, so good.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘HELP! Back has just gone and can't stand up – now what do I do?????’ is closed to new replies.