Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Help.. Are my forks goosed ?
  • renton
    Free Member

Just come to take my forks off the bike and noticed this……

I think it happened due to a worn lower bearing.

So, would you ride them or are they goosed ?

soobalias
    Free Member

i would be looking into getting a new steerer pressed in there.

i think with a new headset, i would ride them, but i would be concerned

oldtalent
    Free Member

No they would be in the bin by now.

jakd95
    Free Member

I’m usually pretty blasé about riding slightly suspect things (steerers way too short etc) but I’d think twice about riding those. I have no knowledge of what kind of stress a steerer tube is under but I wouldn’t risk it personally, could be fine though!

oldnpastit

What make of headset?

renton
    Free Member

FSA

renton
    Free Member

Could I sell them for spares or repair ?

Little bit gutted.

sillyoldman

Bin.

Tracey

I wouldn’t ride them. What make and how old. I would be looking for a good set of second hand with a good long steerer and swapping over. New steerer may not be economical depending on make.

sirromj

How thick is the material at that point in comparison with how much is worn away?

renton
    Free Member

2017 rockshox sektor gold. Done around 75 miles from new.

soobalias
    Free Member

^ ouch.

renton
    Free Member

^^^^yup.

I knew the lower bearing was worn bit it seems it has come apart on a ride and the outer race has moved and worn that groove.

Gutted.

benpinnick

If the headset has done 75miles as well I would be expecting that to be sorted under warranty.

pictonroad

I wouldn’t give up on a fork that new. One of the metal whisperers like Ben Cooper might give you an opinion on whether that can be built up with weld and ground back.

timba
    Free Member

Ouch!
    Sucking eggs time, but check your headtube/bottom cup depending on type

renton
    Free Member

@ben the headset had come on a used frame and rather than wait for a new bearing to come I was to eager to get out and ride.

My own fault and no one else.

renton
    Free Member

Would they be worth anything as spare or repair ?

Northwind

Yep, they will- if nothing else there’ll be people out there who’d happily ride it as is. Unfortunately the internals are the bottom drawer version so not an upgrade or a part anyone’s going to buy to put in their forks, but the lowers and air spring still have some value (what axle is it? and what wheelsize?)

Tricky, I split up my old Revelations and sold every part separately and did pretty well but they were useless as a whole fork. These might find a complete buyer.

Or, it might be possible to find a CSU at a good price. Here things get really complicated about availability and compatibility- you can, frinstance, sometimes put a 26er csu into a bigger wheel fork and just lose some travel, and 26er parts are cheap. You could maybe pick up a whole fork for peanuts. But you’d need to be very very careful.

renton
    Free Member

Northwind they are 2017 Sektor gold RL solo air. 29er and 15mm

Do you reckon £100 spares or repair is fair then ?

nickjb
    Free Member

I reckon you might get a little more than that.

dovebiker

Whilst there’s a lot of metal still left, the deep groove creates a stress-raiser that means a crack could form suddenly and catastrophically.

Northwind

Oh, excuse me, if they’re RLs then thy have motion control which is actually a big step up for people on the Turnkey damper, definitely worth something (rockshox website says Golds have the accursed TK damper, which is ****)

You need an actual expert here but I suspect this would fit:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rock-Shox-Silver-Aluminium-114018008077/dp/B00AZYQIWA

But don’t buy it based on me saying so, that’d be mental.

renton
    Free Member

This is them….

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

They must have been wobbling all over the place for the headset to disintegrate and cause that to happen . Rock Shox will want a massive amount of money for a new CSU as they don’t just replace a steerer . There was a company who were replacing steelers but I can’t remember the details .

damascus
    Free Member

There was a thread on here a while ago for a company that will press a new steerer or stanction into a fork and it was a pretty good price.

You were after a pike or rev anyway so just cut your losses, photo it, describe it and sell it on eBay.

Let the market decide the price.

otsdr
    Free Member

There was a company who were replacing steelers but I can’t remember the details

I think it was Regen Suspension, but they only replace stanchions:

(Regen Suspension will not remove a steerer tube from a crown)

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Speak to Dave at RSF suspension in Plymouth

eemy
    Free Member

Turn them round. That’ll fix it.

singlespeedstu

That must have been making some bad noises and felt rough to have done that damage in such a short time.
    Did you not notice?

damascus
    Free Member

Put a sticker over it, be rite

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Help.. Are my forks goosed ?’ is closed to new replies.