Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Help – any TV engineers here?
  • jj55

My old Hitachi TV keeps switching itself to standby? Any idea's why? I've been very technical & wiggled all the wires, thumped the top of it repeatedly and finally given it a good piece of my mind – but still the fecker keeps deciding to turn itself onto standy – WHY!? 😡

Flaperon

Are you absolutely certain no-one's playing a trick on you?

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electronic/d794/

Is there a remote control that someone's sitting on? Any flickering sunlight across the TV? Does it come straight back on afterwards?

Cougar

Put a bit of black insulation tape over the IR sensor. Does it still do it? This will rule out external issues.

After that, I'd be looking at heat; does it do it after it's been on for a while? Is there adequate ventilation around the set? Is it in direct sunlight?

jahwomble
    Free Member

If it's not the ir sensor, the most likely thing I reckon is probably the start up capacitor.That could cause it to keep powering down.

jj55

Well…. Thanks for the advice, I've now switched off lights, covered up sensors, looked in all the crevices and given it even more stern advice but still the fecker is switching itself off when it gets warm – any advice (other than the obvious)

coffeeking
    Free Member

Take it to a TV repair technician.

Cougar

TBH, I'd agree with CK.

You -might- get away with bodging it, maybe it's something as simple as being full of dust and a can of compressed air could blow it all out. Really though, TVs (especially the old CRT sets) have the capacity(*) to throw you across the room or worse if you start buggering about with them. I'd take it to someone who's qualified to fix it, or at least has up-to-date life insurance.

(* – see what I did there? Oh, please yourselves)

Cougar

(Actually, that's a lie, I'd take it to bits and bugger about with it, because I'm stupid. What I mean to say is, I'd recommend to someone else that they take it to someone qualified.)

jj55

Hmm, seems like i'm going to have to spend some money! 😥

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Help – any TV engineers here?’ is closed to new replies.