Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Help….. 2X9 conversion advice
  • maxsatnav
    Free Member

OK so im thinking of trying 9 speed double and bash as i dont use the outer ring of my triple set up that often… So my question to the educated masses of STW are

what will i need (if it is possible) to convert my XT M770 cranks into a double set up

is it as simple as getting a chain guide, bash guard and a new middle ring and then removing the outer ring, and adjusting the front mech stops

im thinking of keeping the granny ring 22 teeth….buying a 34 or 36 tooth for the other……

target bike is a spesh enduro 2010 which already has ISCG mounts

thanks in advance

cardo

Yes it is very likely it’s that simple…. I converted my triple SLX on my orange 5 to a double and bash using a Blackspire BB chain device which is brill and cheap too…(they do make a an ISCG version) Bolt your bashgaurd on and re-adjust the front derailieur.. bit of fettling to make sure everything meshs nicely and you won’t look back mate…. I did change the middle ring to a 36 but kept the granny at 22.

Hope that helps……..

hilldodger
    Free Member

maxsatnav – Member
    is it as simple as getting a chain guide, bash guard and a new middle ring and then removing the outer ring, and adjusting the front mech stops

That’s about it, you should readjust the chain length as well and you won’t necessarily need a chain guide, front mech should keep the chain on….

Junkyard
    Free Member

take outer off put a bash on, adjust the front mech and ride.
    Why alter middle ring – I found the 36 a bit neither here nor there and so swapped mine to a 32. YOu loose some gear ratios but tbh I am either grinding uphill or freewheeling ish downhill.
    I found with a 36 you spent too much time in granny or you end up front changing too much so it was a bit of a pain. Try it with the 32 first IMHO
    NB if you do want to add a 36 I think you need a larger bash than for a 32 but I have a 36 tooth bash and 32 ring without issue [ SLX cranks]

cardo

Pretty sure most bash gaurds cover 32 to 36 with out a problem, Shimano steel rings are cheap too so no big loss if you don’t like it and need to change again.

Gearing is a personal choice and suited to where you ride, after fitting the 36 I only find I need the granny when it’s proper steep.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I only use mine in lakes /proper UK mountains hence the lack of need for a 36 as it is always proper steep. I also run a 22 front now for proper steep but with a 32 cassette

You may be right re bash I have no idea

Furious

I’m also thinking of going down this route.

Am I right in thinking one of the advantages of going down this route is that you can use the whole of the cassette on both front rings?

I worry that I’ll miss the big ring because I do use it (albeit very occasionally)

chiefgrooveguru

You’ll need to take the cranks off to change the middle ring and if you ride flats you’ll need to take the pedal off to put the bash ring on. You’ll probably need longer bolts for the bash ring. Really glad I did it!

maxsatnav
    Free Member

thanks all….

looks like i have a small project to fund

cardo

@Furious.I worry that I’ll miss the big ring because I do use it (albeit very occasionally)..

I had the same thoughts but once it had gone it was one less decision to consider regarding gearing,just use the whole of the rear cassette and get on with riding.. just using the granny when absolutely necessary.

Also if you don’t like it, it’s dead easy to put back to 3×9 again. 😮

tron
    Free Member

You can often get the middle ring and outer over the spider and pedal without removing the cranks.

No need for a chain guide / device unless you were already losing your chain a lot.

I’d just buy a 36t ring and a BBG bash guard. The bash is generally only there to stop your chain jumping off to the right, so just get a superlight one.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Help….. 2X9 conversion advice’ is closed to new replies.