Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Help 2014 Whyte vs Orange
  • skindog
    Free Member

I’m planning to get another bike to compliment my 29er Hard tail.

I’m basically down to a 4 options either

12 months interest free on a whyte G-150 £2500
    12 months interest free on an orange 5 £2500

or

24 months interest free on a whyte G-150 Works £3999
    24 months interest free on an orange 5 rs £4100

I love the idea of 1×11 but a xo1 rear cassette is at least £300 to replace.

Is the RS Pike GTC3 so much better than the GT on the cheaper bikes?

Whyte 4 linkage suspension requires much more maintenace and is a less proven design – but it’s modern and progressive compared to orange’s tried and tested 5.

I’ve had a chance to ride a 2014 orange in Tweeddale and it was really cofidence inspiring.

I mostly ride single track in the Scottish Cairngorms but also get to the Scottish bike parks.

It’s a hell of a lot of money to spend and really value all your advice!!

damascus
    Free Member

When I moved from 9speed to 10 speed on my mtb I didn’t notice a difference but I did on my road bike .

I think 11 speed is great but comes with a price tag. If value for money is a concern stick with 10 speed.

If I was spending all that money on a bike I would want to test ride them all and let the bike decide, not us.

My ten pence would be the 29er orange 5 but that’s because I am 6ft3.

I live near Halifax and the majority of people I ride with ride an orange 5. It does everything fairly well. Takes a kicking and needs very little service.

The only downside is the single pivot braking takes a bit of getting used to.

Good luck.

bjhoppalong
    Free Member

5 deffinately !!

mattjg
    Free Member

I’d buy the cheaper Whyte because I don’t like the boxy look of the Oranges. But I’d want a ride first, and to bear in mind that a lot of people love their Oranges.

I really doubt 11 speed is worth the current money, 1×10 with a not too big chainring will probably do.

reedspeed
    Free Member

5 !,end of

skindog
    Free Member

Cheers guys,

I opted for the cheaper Whyte after taking a spin on it. Once I got the fork and shock set up it was brilliant.

I also thought that the step up in price for 1×11 was a little much. Plus £300 to replace an XO cassette is wild.

The guys at Alpine Bikes in Aberdeen have been amzing! Send your business there.

mattjg
    Free Member

Enjoy your new bike, update after a few rides please!

si-wilson
    Free Member

Did you ride both the g150 and orange? Any useful comparisons?

larrythelathe
    Free Member

Glad you went for a whyte I have the t129s it’s a really solid bike. I had a orange a few years ago. It was average in my book.

pussywillow
    Free Member

Ooouch! You **** up there big time! Plus if and when you come to sell it, the second hand price on a five would have been so much better than a crappie white
    Anyway it’s bought now so just try and enjoy it 😆

mattjg
    Free Member

Ooouch! You **** up there big time!

Love this guy, does everything he can to share the joy.

skindog
    Free Member

Alright chaps,

I’ve had the Whyte out for a few rides so far and to be honest it is awesome. For the money the fork and shock are great, and it loves being thrown down trails. It climbs well too.

I guess the Orange thing is like Land Rover Defender Drivers, they’ll love them no matter what, even if they are old designs, uncomfortable, expensive etc.

I’m glad I’m not one of them.

roverpig

Did you ever ride the Five ?

wl
    Free Member

For what you need, without a doubt the Orange.

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

Ignore the Single Pivot muppets – Whytes are awesome. They have problems BUT they fix them and the warranty man, Grant, is the absolute man. These “multi-pivot-detractors” like to point out that these bikes are more maintenance hungry and in comparison they are. But it will ride much better, so I don’t care (and Whytes replace the bearings for free: lifetime warranty. Good choice, enjoy the bike.

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

Sorry, just realised you didn’t need the speech (and I like muppets so should use a different word in future). I just noticed your phrase: “I’m glad I’m not one of them”. Perfect!

skindog
    Free Member

I rode the Orange. It was also a good bike. But it was not the God Particle.

chestrockwell

I guess the Orange thing is like Land Rover Defender Drivers, they’ll love them no matter what, even if they are old designs, uncomfortable, expensive etc.

So you spout that guff on a thread you started to ask if you should buy one?

sparkingchains
    Free Member

“Ignore the Single Pivot muppets – Whytes are awesome. They have problems…”

Northwind

Has the G150 gone through the essential V2 revisions all Whytes seem to need these days before they stop cracking? Just checking, like, 146 and T129 have now passed through the paying beta test phase but the 150’s quite new…

richieokeefe1
    Free Member

A whyte is much better than a crap single pivot , I have owned both and the orange 5 is rubbish , just bobs all the time ! I have a whyte m109 and it’s like a whole different league to the 5 ! Trust me you made the right choice 🙂

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Help 2014 Whyte vs Orange’ is closed to new replies.