Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • help… 20" orange five
  • orangeian
    Free Member

Hi

Im hoping one of you can help me.

My order for a five pro is meant to be going in tomorrow, 20″ frame but ive not been able to try one for size.

All the shops have a 18 but not a 20.

Is there anyone on this forum from the north east who has a 20″ they would let me try for size this week?

Just to sit on etc as i dont fancy shelling out for a bike thats guna be too big.

Help would be appreciated.

righog
    Free Member

How tall are you ?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Oh please, before you order, make sure you get the size you need.
    Phone Bike Scene at Guisborough & ask Craggsy if he can get a 20″ off Adam from Orange for a test ride.
    Tell him Jim the Geordie yorkshireman sent you.
    Don’t order till youv’e tried!

stox
    Free Member

How tall are you? I’m 6′ 1″ and ride an 18″ … I take it from your post that you have tried an 18″ ?

righog
    Free Member

That’s the thing orangeian. I am 5’9 and ride an 18″ as well as stox and it fits me perfectly.

I was lucky in that I test rode a 18″ around Kirroughtree and Dalbeatty and loved it. I was still was not sure that a 16″ would not have been better. So I double checked with the Mark from Breeze bikes who sold it to me and he was sure 18″ was right for me.

To me it feels on the small side esp. with the dropper post down.

You really need to try and ask advice from someone who knows.

orangeian
    Free Member

Im 6ft 1 with a 33″ leg.

Iv rode the 18 it felt ok but maybe slightly cramped.

Didnt know if it was because i havent actually rode a bike for a while.

If someone had a 20″ to try it would be ideal.

Cheers

Mantastic
    Free Member

I am 6ft 2 with 33 inch leg and 20 inch fits fine. I am thinking of selling my 20inch 5pro. 2011 bike in white with orange rims £1900. I am in the midlands so a bit away from you. Email in profile

stox
    Free Member

I’m in Middlesbrough but as mentioned mines an 18″ so I can’t help.
    General consensus from what I’ve seen would suggest an 18″ but be worth trying the 20″ if you felt the 18″ may be too small.

orangeian
    Free Member

Seems the 20″ are pretty rare really… no shops have a demo in at all. Dnt mind travelling to try one but nothing daft.

erny
    Free Member

I’m sure Biketreks have a 20″ demo bike

orangeian
    Free Member

Mantastic, what type of riding do you do on ur 20.

My main concern is whether a 20 will be too big to throw about.

I wana use mine for general trail riding including black runs etc and decent drops/decents.

orangeian
    Free Member

Anyone got any pics of their 20″?

Mantastic
    Free Member

I haven’t ridden it a lot due to finding fatbikes, hence probably selling it. It is easy to throw about, main riding for me has been singletrack in the local woods. I have no idea as to how to post pic on here so can’t help. Can email them though

orangeian
    Free Member

Can you email it to mastere_66@msn.com

Mantastic
    Free Member

Mail sent

br
    Free Member

tbh I’d be telling your LBS you want to try before buying, they should be able to get you one on demo.

Or are you buying online?

orangeian
    Free Member

Buying from m steel. They can get one but want to charge me £70

boxelder
    STATO
    Free Member

Buying from m steel.

Wont they give you that back if you order tho?

orangeian
    Free Member

No they have to get it in from orange. Orange charge 50 for a days hire and i have to pay the £20 carriage.

stufive
    Free Member

Im 5,8 and ride a 17″ five am surley a 20″ gonna be too big?
    PS Biketreks have a 20″ and 17″ demo bikes at the mo

br
    Free Member

No they have to get it in from orange. Orange charge 50 for a days hire and i have to pay the £20 carriage.

So, if I was spending over £2k on a bike I’d have no trouble in between my LBS and me ‘swallowing’ the £70 – especially as you don’t really know whether its the right size for you.

Also, unless you have a ‘relationship’ with the LBS (as it looks rather large), look for a smaller owner/manager one – you may get better ‘service’, if not price.

markreed
    Free Member

In Richmond / Catterick area and have a 2011 20 inch frame 5 pro. You’re welcome to have a sit on it for sizing purposes if you want? Or try Dales Bike Centre at Reeth and Bank Cycles in Catterick who are both Orange dealers. They may be able to help. Stu at DBC is doing an offer on new 5s at the mo with limited edition colour options and upgrades etc.

tracknicko
    Free Member

No they have to get it in from orange. Orange charge 50 for a days hire and i have to pay the £20 carriage

and then the LBS’s blame CRC.

chunkypaul
    Free Member

Anyone got any pics of their 20″?

molgrips
    Free Member

5’11 here, 32″ inside leg and 18″ is perfect in ‘XC’ guise with 90mm stem.

Hard to say if you’re too tall for an 18 without seeing you on it. And of course it depends what riding you want to do.

orangeian
    Free Member

Thanks for the help so far guys I’d love to see a pic of an 18 next to a 20 to get an idea the diffence in my head but its like a needle in a haystack looking about on the net. Bike trek in Ambleside have a 20 demo so I’m going to have alook there at weekend unless my lbs manage to get one…. My gf isn’t going to be happy as I’m also moving house this weekend lol

djflexure

I’m 6ft, had a 20″ and it was too big, so I would be careful

orangeian
    Free Member

Djflexure what inside leg are you, what size and bike did you go for next?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I despair, really.

orangeian
    Free Member

?

orangeian
    Free Member

Why?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Why?
    Cos I’ve advised you what to do but your’e asking about other peoples inside leg measurements & photos.
    Bike Scene or Orange didn’t charge me for a days test & Adam the rep dropped the bike off at my house then I took it back to B.S.
    Do what I told you & stop fannying around, YOU need to ride the demo bike & Ambleside is further from you than Guisborough.
    Good luck.

orangeian
    Free Member

Don’t blow an o-ring I was going to go up Ambleside to test a bike because my mate lives there and seen as though I will be riding up that way a lot anyway with him, I thought I would kill 2 birds with one stone even If i rent a bike up there and then when I’m happy that its the right size i will give the shop you recommend a visit

orangeian
    Free Member

If not I will have to look at other make who do a 19inch like orange should do anyway..

bigbadbob
    Free Member

I’m 6.2 with a 32″ inside leg, I have a 20″ 2011 Five and it fits me perfectly. I do have a longish back though. I through it around anything and it takes it very well, I have a smaller Patriot that I used for DH, but I prefer the size of the Five. But really you should try before you buy. They are great bikes though. Mine just wants to go and go, but I never feel out of control with it, it just takes it.

djflexure

Djflexure what inside leg are you, what size and bike did you go for next?

32-33″
    Since then I rode a large Evil Sov (18.9″ST, 23.8″ TT) and now have a Devinci Hectik (19″ ST and 23.6″ TT), also a large. Both perfect for me with shortish stems (7cm I think).
    Seem to remember the 20″ Five was an inch longer in the TT.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘help… 20" orange five’ is closed to new replies.