Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Help
  • elliot0
    Free Member

Can anyone help me. I'm in desperate need of a fixed gear road bike and I'm thinking of getting this one. the problem is that I'm a bit new to this so I'm not sure if it's a good deal. can anyone check it out and give me some feedback?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VIKING-ROAD-FIXED-WHEEL-FIXIE-SINGLE-SPEED-CITY-BIKE-/330455375547?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Bikes_GL&var=&hash=item7dbb104d0e#ht_4131wt_989

tommid
    Free Member

That is a huge piece of dog turd.
    If you want a cheap Fixed gear bike (I'm not sure why you'd be in desperate need of one) then look at a Fuji Track or Giant Bowley.

elliot0
    Free Member

thanks. i've only recently started cycling to work and my bike not too up to scratch. a road bike would do great justice, especially living in bristol where the roads are so bike friendly. anything i should be looking out for in particular?

ahwiles
    Free Member

one with a freewheel? – you idiot.

sorry, i just looked closer, it does have a freewheel option.

apologies.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

especially living in bristol where the roads are so bike friendly. anything i should be looking out for in particular?

Bike friendly, er, yes, but if you're going anywhere near the north of the city the one thing you should be looking for is a bloody low gear!!! As tommid says – why the desparate need for fixed?!?!

elliot0
    Free Member

i live on Whiteladies at the moment and the bike i have has a slow puncture in the front wheel and its stuck in top gear, it is bloody hard to get up park street i'll give you that! but doable. the only reason for fixed was that I thought it maybe cheaper? I'm really just looking for something second hand, i don't wish to spend more than 200 on it, I've posted a wanted on here but had no replies, any thoughts on where i may be able to get my hands on one? doesn't have to be fixed

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Surely the cheapest solution is to fix the puncture (yourself!) and if you're no spanner-er, get a shop to look at the gears – that'll be way less than the cost of a new bike…..

docrobster
    Free Member

Is there a decathlon in bristol?
    They sell new bikes for under £200. Some even have gears

molgrips
    Free Member

Fixed is a weird thing for people who like to try and be different. It's not better or cheaper.

wwaswas

ellit0 – I'd look in the trade-it for something cheap but with gears, and possibly mudguards and a rack. If you want it for commuting in all weathers it'll do a better job than a singlespeed for most people.

if you spend less than £150 you coudl buy a small tool kit and the PArk Tool Blue Book and start doign your own maintenance.

wwaswas
    elliot0
    Free Member

thank you wwaswas.
    bristol biker-my current bike is just falling apart, the front break snapped the other day, it's been in the family for a while. it isn't a road bike either, i've got it to start me off as i wasn't sure how much i'd be using it in bristol, but since i've started using it a lot, i feel it is time to get a more decent one.

Tyredocter
    Free Member

Look at the one from Edinburgh Bicycle Coop in their Revelution range

bristolbiker
    Free Member

elliot) – fair enough, but I don't think going for a fixed wheel 'cause it'll be cheaper than geared (which it may be) is a good justification on the terrain you are likely to find around Whiteladies road – esp if you are used to a) two brakes and b) a freewheel (…and c) you like your knees as they are and don't want them to explode any time soon under massive loads up hill or 4-figure rpm's down the other side….)

Tyredocter (sic) – make it more subtle or stop the Raleigh/EBC adds. Thanks.

tron
    Free Member

I'm 50/50 as to whether this is someone taking the mickey from Mumsnet or something.

Here are a few basics:

Fixies as a rule are overpriced.
    Bicycles are very simple things – things like brake failure can be avoided through some basic care and servicing. Things like changing the cables once in while.
    Second hand "racer" type bikes are often very cheap and a good way to get around, as they're not horribly likely to get nicked.
    Ratty old mountain bikes are similar – nobody's going to nick a mountain bike with rigid forks, V-brakes and commuting tyres.
    Bikes are very simple (I know I'm repeating myself). Buy a book on bicycle maintenance and you can make sure your bike is safe and works well for very little outlay. There is only one proviso – buy something really cheap, and no amount of work will make it into a safe bike, as the parts are such poor quality that they're not fit for the job.

Edinburgh Bike Co-op (they have branches outside of Edinburgh too) and Decathlon both sell decent bikes for what you want. The Decathlon B'Twin Riverside 3 looks ideal, costs £199, has a rack, dynamo lights, lots of gears and proper brakes. I believe Decathlon also have good warranties and servicing.

Ridgeback also make some decent bikes in this price range.

You won't be able to pick up anything new with drop bars that is any good on the cheap. Decathlon's cheapest road bike is £270. Racing bike brake levers and shifters are just too expensive.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Help’ is closed to new replies.