Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 174 total)
  • Help! 15 Y/O daughter Vs phone bill, & it's me that has lost out.
  • binners

Get yourself on Facebook. You can be a right **** and pick up literally thousands of ‘friends’ in no time.

Then just start texting them all

alex222
    Free Member

Get yourself on Facebook.

I was but it did my head in so I came off it.

klumpy
    Free Member

If I’d done what the OP’s daughter did when I was a little girl (long story) my father would have seized the phone and demanded: “What be this strange device? Whereforth cometh ye voices!?” before pounding it to dust with a bible.

HTH.

jota180
    Free Member

As I posted earlier it’s about security, would I want my daughter stranded somewhere late at night unable to call because she had no credit ?

I’m going to get an GPS implant for the kids with an optional panic button that automatically dials all 3 emergency services and relays exact location details.

richmtb

My daughter has “somehow” managed to exceed her unlimited text package by about 3500 text & I have been hit with a £580 bill for a £18 PM package.

Now I’m all for a bit of tough love, a gentle beating never did me any harm growing up etc etc but I’ve missed the bit where this is the OP’s duaghter’s fault.

Sure 3500 text messages is a bit excessive and suggests she might not be doing the most constructive activities with her time but the OP did sign her up to an unlimited contract to avoid this very eventuality.

Seriously get on to the mobile company and tell them to do one, speak to the regulator.

Is it clearly stated in the contract what “fair usage implies”

If these are just standard SMS messages then how does 3500 of them cost £550. That’s 60p a message!!

Either the mobile company is taking the piss or something else is going on!

druidh
    Free Member

The OP has already said that both he and his daughter knew of the 3,000 text limit.

richmtb

The OP has already said that both he and his daughter knew of the 3,000 text limit.

Oh well gentle beating it is then!

So that 6500 texts in a month? FFS!

Still the tariff for additional texts seems high

binners

In some ways, the sheer volume of texts is quite reassuring. After all, if she’s managed to exceed 3000 texts by 3,500, then she’ll have had no time for smoking, drinking White Lightning in the park and getting knocked up

SD-253
    Free Member

Therefore the extra 500 costs 1.10p each?? bit excessive?

SD-253
    Free Member

Or is that 3500 texts above the limit of 3000? which 16p a text? Still how can you manage that many? PS LIE ABOUT YOU KNOWING ABOUT THE LIMIT ON UNLIMITED TEXT LIE LIE LIE. After all the “unlimited text” is clearly a lie?

SD-253
    Free Member

I have just thought break her fingers no more texting for her……..joking of course!

druidh
    Free Member

managed to exceed her unlimited text package by about 3500 text

i.e. around 6,500 texts. It’s all here in the thread, honest!

nealglover
    Free Member

If these are just standard SMS messages then how does 3500 of them cost £550. That’s 60p a message!!

Quite bad Maths Fail 😐

richmtb

Your right its nearer 16p, maths fail indeed.

Still, a bit poor

Why bar a phone on an £18 month contract after £550, seems a bit high, although I’m sure the OP is glad that there was any type of limit.

I still wouldn’t pay it without a fight though. Being an awkward bastard should at least get a discount off the bill

andywoods
    Free Member

not trying to be negative but contracts usually have the charges wrote in them saying i.e calls texts will be charged at …p per minute/text after allowance used up, but i would certainly be on the phone? to them, and see what they can do.. dont ask you dont get!!!!!!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

It comes out at about 15p per message does it not?
    { (550-18)/3500 }
    Is it me or is 15p still a bit high? Years ago it was 10p and I thought it had gone down since
    Are there any MMS messages?

TiRed

There is a reason why Blackberries are popular with teenagers. One word – BBM. £5/month for blackberry internet services on a PAYG buys you all the text and media sharing you could want.

I’d halve her pocket money until half is paid.

39 texts an hour, every hour of the month is impressive going. I hope she doesn’t develop RSI!

peterfile
    Free Member

She should foot the bill (spread over 12 months payment back to you?), and have her phone removed.

comments like this are totally lost on me.

How do you end up here?

“I know we gave you a phone with unlimited texts, but it appears you’ve actually gone over your unlimited quota, which you didn’t know about, so we’re going to make you get a job and pay for your mistake of not knowing that unlimited actually means limited. And you’re not having a phone ever again. And you’re grounded. Sorry, but you have to learn that unlimited doesn’t actually mean unlimited, you’ve let us down.”

🙄

druidh
    Free Member

The OP has already admitted that both he and his daughter knew there was a 3,000 text limit.

peterfile
    Free Member

The OP has already admitted that both he and his daughter knew there was a 3,000 text limit.

Ah right fair enough, i missed that.

nealglover
    Free Member

“I know we gave you a phone with unlimited texts, but it appears you’ve actually gone over your unlimited quota, which you didn’t know about, so we’re going to make you get a job and pay for your mistake of not knowing that unlimited actually means limited. And you’re not having a phone ever again. And you’re grounded. Sorry, but you have to learn that unlimited doesn’t actually mean unlimited, you’ve let us down.”

Thread reading Fail 😐

(Edit- a few seconds late)

emsz
    Free Member

BBM is cool if everyone has a blackberry, but they are sooooo last year 🙂

KennySenior
    Free Member

bikebouy – Member
    …..Ok, then get her a pert time job doing something to generate income…..

She’s only 15 you dirty sod.

peterfile
    Free Member

Thread reading Fail

(Edit- a few seconds late)

Witty response Fail 😕

binners

Are there any MMS messages?

As someone with 2 (younger) daughters, who’s read this thread with a sense of impending dread – the answer to that may well be far worse than stumping up for the phone bill!

TiRed

BBM is cool if everyone has a blackberry

They do, well did… Now they have £500 phone bills 😆

robdixon
    Free Member

one other option for the original poster – if you have a t-mobile account, you can add a “booster” on that gives free calls, texts and picture messages between 4 t-mobile numbers. That means the kids can be on PAYG but the family can always keep in touch even if there’s no credit. This is actually a pretty good way of keeping a lid on costs.

portlyone

They should all be encouraged to meet up IRL and hang around in groups in streets/local parks…

br
    Free Member

I think that I’d still be contacting the provider re the +£500 credit limit.

I was working overseas last year and got a text saying I was near my limit (I didn’t realise I had one). So I rang them up to find it was £100 (on a £40 contract that had been running over a year). They increased it to £250 but wouldn’t go higher even with the offer of an upfront cc payment.

xiphon
    Free Member

PAYG phone + £15 credit + very simple message.

DO NOT USE THE PHONE FOR ANYTHING BUT AN EMERGENCY*

(*Emergency: anything urgent enough you’d ask a bystander to borrow their phone, or you’d search for the nearest payphone to use….)

“If you use up the credit – it will not be replaced – and you are putting yourself at risk**”

(**risk: Is txting your mates to arrange a BBQ worth not having credit to call for help after being attacked?)

mogrim

As I posted earlier it’s about security, would I want my daughter stranded somewhere late at night unable to call because she had no credit ?

And how likely is that without any friends around to lend her their phone in an emergency?

ormondroyd
    Free Member

I’d still be much angrier with the phone company than the teenager who has accidentally gone over a limit. The magnitude of the “punishment” is ridiculous, dubious at best given their overuse of the word ‘unlimited’, and doesn’t bear any kind of relation to the actual costs of processing those texts.

The whole thing is rotten. 3000 texts = a few quid, 6000 texts = £500. Dubious under contract penalty law I’d have thought.

croen
    Free Member

Hi, just seen this thread and it seems to be almost exactly what happened to me last year. I’ve copied the letter I sent to Orange below. They were unbelieveable, I cannot fault them. They initially added credit to the account, but following this letter, they changed my sons contract. They backdated it to the start, changing it to unlimited texts. This meant that I was in credit, rather than owing them loads. As I said, Orange were fantastic. Hope it helps.

Dear Orange,

Mobile number: ***** ******

I was given your address yesterday, in the hope that you could resolve this issue with my mobile account.

I have been with Orange for several years now. Our broadband was originally with Wanadoo, which should tell you how long we have been with Orange for broadband. I’ve been on Pay as You go for years before sorting my first mobile contract with yourselves. I then took another contract, for my girlfriend. Following this, I added 2 sim-only deals onto my account for my sons. The sim-only were 18 month deals and one of my sons decided to stop using his approximately 3 months into the contract. So, I cancelled the 2nd sim-only contract when I bought the HTC Desire HD from yourselves last August and took out the current contract for my youngest son. Unfortunately, the 2nd sim-only contract wasn’t cancelled until 5 months later I have since discovered.

Until last month, Orange has always been fantastic, and I wouldn’t hesitate recommending you to anyone. Very good prices, fantastic and friendly support etc etc.

It seems slightly ironic that as I was reading a story on the bbc news website about horror phone bills (details below), I was experiencing that exact thing. As far as I was aware, my sons contract included unlimited texts. When I renegotiated this contract and bought him a HTC Desire HD from yourselves, the contract altered from unlimited to 1500 texts per month. Can you please look into the recording of when I took out this contract and send me verification that I was told it had decreased? I do not recall that part of the conversation.

Late last month, I was horrified when I received a letter stating that the direct debit had failed, and when I saw the amount I was not surprised in the slightest. I assumed that there was an error in your billing somewhere, possibly overcharging me for an orange care claim. You had tried to take a monthly charge of £557.63 and the bank had not authorised this, luckily for me.

I never check the bills, assuming that the correct amounts are being taken. Stupidity on my part, I know.

To be fair, when I contacted Orange, the overcharge for the 5 extra months of the sim-only contract was credited, along with a further £200 credit, which was applied to my account (I am grateful for this, thankyou). My sons contract was also changed, from 1500 texts to unlimited.

I am grateful that his text allowance was increased to ensure that I should never have another horror bill, but I am disappointed that it was not brought to my attention sooner. It could have saved me a fortune in potential charges, and eased a lot of the stress that this has caused.

This credit was applied against the £557.63 bill. Unfortunately, on the day that I called, the following months statements were being made available online. This bill was for £416.27.

I could not immediately access my account, possibly due to the new statements being made available, but also due to a change on the log-in page. I was asked for a username and password, when previously it was my mobile number and password. I do not have a username, so was unable to check the bills.

When I was informed by Orange that the username is the mobile number, I could finally log onto my account and I noticed that the bills had been steadily increasing for 2 months prior to the first horrendous bill (£222.91, £243.24, £557.63, £416.27). As I had not checked the bills, and there were sufficient funds in my bank account at that time, the first two amounts were paid. Unfortunately this has had an effect on my cash-flow and I have incurred additional bank charges for going over my overdraft limit. This of course spirals, and has left me with less funds available for the following months, which is why I have only been able to pay £100.00 on account since. I would like to get this sorted, and really do not want to go further into debt.

When I paid the amount on account by debit card (about 12th March), I outlined my feelings and was told that I would be contacted within 14 days, in order for this to be dealt with once and for all. I was told on the phone yesterday that no-one at Orange would contact me about this, so why was I informed differently when I paid £100 on account? This has just delayed the whole process and caused me even more worry.

I appreciate that I am at fault for not checking the bills more closely (or even at all), but I am very unhappy with Orange for allowing this to happen also.

Is there anything further that Orange can do about the outstanding balance?

As I have already stated, this has put me into hardship (due to additional bank charges) and I am struggling to find a way out of this mess. I fully appreciate that a lot of the blame rests with me for not checking the bills, but is there anything that Orange can do? If I had been warned earlier, this would never have happened. If Ofcom had tackled the ‘bill shock’ earlier, I am confident that this would not have happened. As I have said previously, I have been a loyal customer for years, and intend to be for the foreseeable future. I’ve also spoken to Orange about bringing my telephone calls over to yourselves (currently BT). I see this as a gesture of goodwill. The cost for broadband and evening/weekend calls is roughly £30 per month with Orange, whereas it is currently advertised at £16 per month with BT.

So, to summarise, I feel let down by Orange but obviously have to accept my share of the blame for this also (for not checking the bills). Can you please send verification that I was told about the change from unlimited to 1500 texts when I took out the HTC contract?

Can any further credit be applied to my account, and can you please contact me in order to arrange a payment plan to bring the account back up-to-date again?

Thanks for your help,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17220736

‘UK mobile phone companies have been told to let their contract customers restrict how much they spend, to avoid unexpectedly high bills. The regulator Ofcom says the measures are needed to stop so-called “bill shock”. It says its research shows that 1.4 million customers with mobile phone contracts have been hit by surprisingly large bills in the past six months’.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I wrote to 3 when they didnt cancel my sim only deal when I asked them. they refunded the ballance out of ‘good will’.

I think they know which side their bread is buttered, there’s enough competition for cusomers so that good will paid them back when I got mobile broadband from them (cheeper than BT landline rental even excluding the cost of BT broadband, and more data than I could use in a month anyway).

Podium
    Free Member

A good opportunity for her to take ownership of her actions and financial consequences. Otherwise just think of the potential implications if she manages herself like this later in life.

Solution = payment plan for the ENTIRE excess.

If she want’s a phone she has to pay for it and the contract and any potential further excess.

Default on payment plan = confiscation of phone.

That’ll learn ‘er.

Back in my day we were lucky to get an occasional bob or two for sweets. Anything else had to be earned with chores and/or part time job.

Worth remembering that kids are a product of their upbringing, just saying’.

nealglover
    Free Member

Witty response Fail

I think you mean “timely”

Your comment was still irrelevant.

nicholasnismo
    Free Member

Mate I feel your pain, My daughter ran up a £920 bill about 3 years ago, my fault in a way as i was not checking bills.

Phone conviscated but could not cancel contract as it was in my name.

Vodaphone were not interested and even after they said they could not put a limit on the mobile account.

Lesson learnt for both us, If it is any concillation she has been as good as gold ever since after being pay as you go for 2 years!!

scuzz
    Free Member

I think you mean “timely”

Your comment was still irrelevant.
    Serious business, this forum lark.

nealglover
    Free Member

Too right.

mega
    Free Member

Interesting thread

when my ones are old enough I think i’l go with PAYG. will teach them to manage finite resources (credit) and calls to emergency services are free if no credit.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 174 total)

The topic ‘Help! 15 Y/O daughter Vs phone bill, & it's me that has lost out.’ is closed to new replies.