Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 174 total)
  • Help! 15 Y/O daughter Vs phone bill, & it's me that has lost out.
  • 2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Many thanks all, some interesting thoughts & observations.

Yes the phone was taken off her (well thrown against the wall & smashed anyway)

I have spoken to the company involved (Virgin) & the customer complaint team will call me back tomorrow so I haven’t given up on some sort of reduction as they have always been great with complaints in the past.

I knew the limit was 3000 text so I won’t lie about that, but it was agreed at the time as it would be virtually impossible to make more!

When I initially spoke to someone to query the amount of text’s they went through them & they were all made, but yes lots of them were group text’s, sometimes 300 an hour!

ir_bandito – Member
    If its anything like my “unlimited” broadband connection, the contract will have some sort of “fair useage” policy. Ie “unlimited but don’t take the pish”.

But they should have flashed a warning. did she not receive a text telling her? Or was she too busy sending more texts to read incoming ones from boring phone people?

She is out at the moment, but good call I’ll ask her when she returns & if this is the case then she will pay for it out of her bank account which will wipe her out.

Oh & as it stands her skiing trip next Jan to the USA with the school will be cancelled, so it will save me in the long run 😉

Cheers all.

tracknicko
    Free Member

sometimes 300 an hour!

yikes!

ciderinsport
    Free Member

Just made my 2 teenage daughters read this!

Got a £100 bill for the eldest last year – she paid it.. hasn’t put a foot wrong since!

Good luck

tomhoward

Did she know what the unlimited limit was? Or did she take ‘unlimited’ at face value?

AlexSimon

I didn’t realise there was a fair use policy on texts.

I imagine it’s unenforceable, unless deliberate abuse can be proved.
    i.e. spamming, bulk messaging.

There’s no way I’d be paying without a large fuss.

Seems totally bizarre that something can be described as ‘unlimited’, when there is such a clear limit (of 3000) described in the smallprint.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I put my daughter on a £10/month plan which gives 250 mins, 3000 text (or similar stupidly high amount)and 500mb data. As if that’s not enough they give the option to cap the spend at £10 so she’s unable to go over her limit.

peterfile
    Free Member

Why is the daughter being held partially responsible for this?

“here’s a phone, you have unlimited texts”

few months later

“you’ve sent too many texts!!!!”

Still, if I was in the OPs shoes, I’d sue my daughter.

druidh
    Free Member

So – what is her previous usage like?

project
    Free Member

2unfittoride, ask your daughter has she been texting X factor or strictly come dancing rip off phone lines, at whatever they cost.

PAYG for kids, they canm always reverse the chargfes from a freinds phone or a call box.

McHamish
    Free Member

Seems a bit unfair to punish your daughter for your mistake!

Unless she knew what the limit was and knew that she would be charged for going over, not sure you can hold her to blame.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

‘Unlimited’ mobile use should do what it says on the tin

I rang Customer Support and the person I spoke to was quite abrupt and told me he wasn’t going to credit back the extra fees. So I emailed someone reasonably high up in Virgin Media and explained my problem politely, they rang me back within an hour to apologise and say that when customers go over their limit the first time, Customer Support are supposed to clarify the fair use limits with them and waive the extra fees in that instance. He told me my account would be credited back with those fees.

So thumbs down for normal Customer Support, thumbs up for the Executive team (if you know how to get their attention!),

Hope that gives you some ammunition!

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

My mistake?

My daughter knew as well as me the contract, I have put it in the ‘shit happens’ category, why certain people on this site insist on blaming others for a genuine mistake or even plain stupidity is beyond me.

I only want to know if I have genuine recourse or if I have to pay the bill.

Cheers.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Zulu, currently dealing with the CEO’s office, so hopefully that will suffice.

Cheers.

jambalaya
    Free Member

(well thrown against the wall & smashed anyway)

So now you have a contract and no phone, how much is that going to cost ?

Can we expect another thread on how to claim for a broken phone on insurance ?

Good luck, mine are 18, 22 and 24, different set of problems but adorable just the same (BTW just wait till they crash the car (obviously not injuring them selves / anyone else) ….)

Hadge
    Free Member

I’m just going make a quick comment before reading all the messages here but my ex’s kids racked up – over a grand on their phones!!!! Yes that’s right a grand!!!! Did she punish them or anything? No – and to say it pee’ed me off is an understatement to say the least.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

jambalaya – Member
    (well thrown against the wall & smashed anyway)

So now you have a contract and no phone, how much is that going to cost ?
    Can we expect another thread on how to claim for a broken phone on insurance ?

Good luck, mine are 18, 22 and 24, different set of problems but adorable just the same (BTW just wait till they crash the car (obviously not injuring them selves / anyone else) ….)

No, unfortunately you won’t see that thread anytime soon, as I said in my original post I won’t lie, I’m not short of the money but I’ll just give her an old (shite to her) phone, sorry to disappoint.

Cheers.

br
    Free Member

My three teenagers are on 3 Mobile, same as us. Each have been setup with a ‘zero limit’ – which means they are unable to go beyond their contract. But, we get around this:

First PAYG for teenagers in my view is NOT the way to go, would you want your daughter to have no credit to phone you if she was in trouble, needed collecting late at night ?

By been on 3 Mobile they also have the separate 3-to-3 minutes, so they can always call/text us.

PAYG is just expensive, I don’t want my kids wasting their money on buying ‘credit’.

And gotta agree with this:

Seems a bit unfair to punish your daughter for your mistake!

Unless she knew what the limit was and knew that she would be charged for going over, not sure you can hold her to blame.

acidchunks

Basically you want to use Ofcom and the office of fair trading to take them to the cleaners

Log a complaint to your mobile network provider re the charges, description of the call plan (clearly not unlimited) and their failure to suspending the service or notify you once their fair usage threshold had been breached.

Should they not resolve the complaint to your absolute satisfaction inform them that you will be taking it further with the regulator. If they don’t back down at that point they’re fools as the charges are clearly extortionate and I’d be amazed if Ofcom didn’t find in your favour.

yesiamtom
    Free Member

Get a tesco contract as you can cap the spending at whatever you like. So if you get a £10 contract you can enforce so its impossible for anything else to be spent. That way she can learn some self control in texting perhaps? (that sounds sarcy but its not meant to)

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

acidchunks – Member
    Basically you want to use Ofcom and the office of fair trading to take them to the cleaners

Log a complaint to your mobile network provider re the charges, description of the call plan (clearly not unlimited) and their failure to suspending the service or notify you once their fair usage threshold had been breached.

Should they not resolve the complaint to your absolute satisfaction inform them that you will be taking it further with the regulator. If they don’t back down at that point they’re fools as the charges are clearly extortionate and I’d be amazed if Ofcom didn’t find in your favour.

Thank you, it took a while but as always a STW member saves the day.

Cheers.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Just so you know, the daughter in question is currently reading this thread, so I expect her to give her invaluable insight sometime soon.

<looks suspiciously at any new members>

😯

peterfile
    Free Member

Just so you know, the daughter in question is currently reading this thread

***YOUR DAD HIDES THE BOOZE UNDER THE STAIRS, BEHIND THE OLD BOOKS AND MAGAZINES!!!!!***

HTH (we were all 15 once 🙂 )

McHamish
    Free Member

My mistake?

My daughter knew as well as me the contract, I have put it in the ‘shit happens’ category, why certain people on this site insist on blaming others for a genuine mistake or even plain stupidity is beyond me.

Apologies if my comment offended…I got the impression from the thread that you had got your daughter an ‘unlimited texts’ contract which turned out to not actually be unlimited. She exceeded a limit that neither of you were aware about so the provider have asked for you to pay the bill.

In one of the posts above you said that her skiing trip was cancelled…I got the impression that this was due to this excessive bill from the phone provider.

Apologies if I misunderstood.

beej

I knew the limit was 3000 text so I won’t lie about that, but it was agreed at the time as it would be virtually impossible to make more!

So was it advertised as “unlimited, fair usage of 3000 texts applies” or is it just a contract that includes a bundle of 3000 texts, with charges for out of bundle usage?

Two different things – if the former, you might get a reduction. If the latter, I doubt it.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

***YOUR DAD HIDES THE BOOZE AND HIS ‘SPECIAL’ MAGAZINES UNDER THE STAIRS, BEHIND THE OLD BOOKS AND MAGAZINES!!!!!***

FTFY.

😉

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

peterfile, she knows where all the booze is, she thankfully has no interest in it yet (unlike her dad), she a bright young kid in many ways, but it seems she has to test my limits sometimes 😉

McHamish, no offence taken, were all big boys together on here, well except padded fred, but that’s a different story 😉

beej, the funny thing is all of the bills state that it is an unlimited text tariff, so who knows, they may except that & reduce the bill, or maybe not..

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Your a naughty man CFH, I told you she was reading this, why would you tell her of my knitting weekly collection? 😉

PS, when is the next crocheting session around your mum’s?

crikey
    Free Member

she a bright young kid in many ways

Sort it out which ever way, then give her a hug. If this is the worst she’s managed to do in 15 years you’re doing well and, much more importantly, so is she.

There’s worse to come fella, best get used to it.

I’m a Dad of three and can tell you stories that will make you weep!

Houns

Get itemised bill and check for mms messaging

That’ll S&@t your daughter up *waves*

I’ve had some high bills in the past from going over text allowances so yeah it is possible to text that much during a day (mine wasn’t that high!)

Houns

Hey Miss 2unfit2ride

Get pregnant, your dad will soon forget about this

Hth

Hells

Christmas is coming, tell her she’s just spent her present, then put her on PAYG & she has to pay out of her pocket money/ allowance!

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Houns – Member
    Hey Miss 2unfit2ride

Get pregnant, your dad will soon forget about this

Hth

You basterd, you owe me a computer screen!

scaredypants

just looked on the virgin mobile pay monthly page. no asterisks or any qualifying statements next to the word unlimited in the texts fields for the plans. however, if you had previously agreed 3000, fair enough – did they say you’d be charged for exceeding that limit; I’d have assumed it’d be just unable to text any more that month

(my 13 year old is on giffgaff (runs on O2) – 300txts per month on a recurring monthly one-off payment. her texts just stop when she gets there)

re “unlimited” – last time I actually shouted at a radio was when some arse came on saying that “as the word “unlimited” had caused confusion for their customers, his company was changing to “all you can eat” contracts”

Houns

😛

stevewhyte
    Free Member

PAYG is just expensive, I don’t want my kids wasting their money on buying ‘credit’.

PMSL so just waste money on buying a monthly contract instead.

Phones can be a serious issue, especially from a bullying point with kids. Not having the latest phone, or using it to text about others. It’s the ultimate materialistic toy, especially for young kids.

I hate them, not sure if you can tell 😀

FarmersChoice
    Free Member

PAYG doesn’t have to be expensive. Giffgaff do a £5 a month goodybag with unlimited personal use texts.

No call time included but they don’t seem to actually speak to each other anyway.

emsz
    Free Member

Texting is breathing, but FB is cheaper…

martinxyz
    Free Member

(my 13 year old is on giffgaff (runs on O2) – 300txts per month on a recurring monthly one-off payment. her texts just stop when she gets there)

Yep, it works for 39 year old’s too. It takes £10 out of my account monthly and I worry about nothing.

jon1973
    Free Member

Isn’t this a good way of teaching kids about the value of money and being responsible for your own actions. I would have though PAYG is the ideal solution.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

My daughter has registered to use this site, so please have a little respect/compassion if she plucks up the courage to post ❗

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 174 total)

The topic ‘Help! 15 Y/O daughter Vs phone bill, & it's me that has lost out.’ is closed to new replies.