• This topic has 57 replies, 50 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Helmets – What have you got?
  • flaps
    Free Member

Last ride I noticed that my bike helmet stinks. It’s the strip by the forehead that reeks, it’s not detachable and giving it a soak has made no difference (it’s a Giro something or other). I’ve had it a fair few years so it’s done me well but now I’m on the look out for a new one.

I want something that’s quite subtle and certainly not mushroom like! I don’t need a full face one. I’d like to spend under £100 (preferably under £70).

What have you lot got?

bomberpork2
    Free Member

661 recon, its ok but i’d prefer pads that don’t absorb sweat

I currently have exactly what you don’t want – Bell Super 2R

Before that (and I still have it) was a Fox Flux, which is a great trail lid – unfortunately, it didn’t protect me from concussion and a broken jaw – hence the new lid

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Buy a red one. Unless you prefer blue.

Or, alternatively, buy one that fits! Spesh Tactic 2 fits my melon perfectly, but might not work for you.

sprinter2139
    Free Member

Another vote for the Bell Super 2R, although I believe there is a 3R now?

I love having the ability to take the chin bar off when I’m just out with mates at Swinley, but can then convert it to full face mode when I’m launching myself down runs at BPW.

Perfect helmet if you think you might need both at some point.

If you will never need the chin bar, the normal Bell Super 2 is great at around £50

timber

Kask Rex for my small but hot head. Pad and strap are a bit different from normal, but not had it long enough to know if they are better. First impressions are all good though.

Harry_the_Spider

2 x Giro Hex, one with light fitted, one without.
    1 x Giro somethingorother roadie helmet.
    1 x Bell Stoker in floro-green for commuting.
    1 x 661 full face BMX lid.
    1 x Specialize S1. 15 years old so I don’t wear it, but it looks ace so I kept it.

yossarian
    Free Member

Fox Metah
    POC Cortex
    Mavic something or otherwise

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

I’ve recently bought a Catlike Leaf. Really light and airy, ideal for the hot muggy Scottish summers & fits my noggin well.

Replaced a TLD A1 that felt real secure on my head but it was really hot. Ideal for cold, damp Scottish summers.

kayak23

I got a Spesh Ambush.
    Really nice and light, peak goes right up if you use #enduro goggles, comes with spare removable pads*, they are around £100

*They are possibly different thickness fit pads, not simply ‘spare’, I’ve not looked that closely.

lustyd
    Free Member

I use Decathlon ones. For the money I can buy one to match each bike 🙂 they look a bit basic but are as safe as any other helmet except the fancy ones with MIPS.

lunge

Get thee to Planet-X/On-One, cheap and for me at least, very good too. http://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/clothing/helmets/on-one-helmets

flaps
    Free Member

At only £20 I might give that On-One enduro a look, my old bike (the Mrs has it now) is a 45650b, I liked the look of those when they first came out.
    Shame it looks like they have closed the Barnsley store, I ride around that area.

vongassit
    Free Member

TLD A1 for me , a buff stops it stinking & it gets the hose fairly regularly. Nothing I dislike about it.

thepurist

Giant Rail. Really rather good.

iainc

Newish POC Tectal, very comfy, very pleased with it.

NormalMan

I bought a Spesh tactic 2 which was meant to be a cheap “it’ll do for now” purchase. But ive stuck with it as its really comfortable.

kimbers

Urge enduromatic 2

Fits me very well, washable sweat pad

Very good protection, I’ve had some impressive crashes in it and I’m remarkably infact.

Bit warmer than xc lid, but not A1 hot and well worth it for the coverage

(I had to drill extra holes in the peak to angle it up a bit)

oink1
    Free Member

Not exactly cutting edge but I have a Catlike Leaf – removable sweat soakers 😀

flaps
    Free Member

Given in and ordered a TLD A1 from CRC on sale at £65. Seems to constantly get good reviews and it’s a good price, plus they deliver to the shop just around the corner,
    Thanks.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Was goain’t to say a cheapy A1 from CRC.

It’s the comfiest helmet that I’ve had but fudge me it gets warm. I thought my Bell Super got a tad warm but the A1 puts it to shame in those stakes!

alpineharry
    Free Member

Another vote for the TLD A1, definitely won’t be dissapointed, sizing is a little weird but quite adjustable to get a nice fit. I’m usually a medium (58cm) but found an XS/S fitted better than Medium/Large

SaxonRider
    loddrik
    Free Member

Mines a Uvex something or other. It was the lightest one I could find and its been excellent. I have removed all pads from inside the helmet though as al they do is soak up sweat.

stevied
    Free Member

POC Tectal is the best fitting, most comfortable helmet I’ve ever had.
    Not cheap but very well made, great quality finish and details too..

DezB
    Free Member

Daily commuter is a Bontrager one – top tip – soak the sweat off with kitchen towels, or similar immediately after use. Stops mine from becoming smelly (although my sweat smells like spring meadows anyway).

vongassit
    Free Member

@ Alpineharry I’m usually a medium (58cm) but found an XS/S fitted better than Medium/Large

I’m also a 58cm & have the M/L , i thought it fitted great. But it was mail order so it was the only one i tried.

jonostevens
    Free Member

I got a Poc Trabec in a Planet X sale for 65 quid. Absolute bargain, most comfortable helmet I’ve ever worn. Mine is an older version, there’s a few knocking around online and on ebay for under £100. The new models are a lot pricier.

I had a Catlike Leaf too which was also really comfy but I bashed it up after an off. The Poc feels much more robust and covers more of the head though.

iainc

The only thing that annoys me about the Tectal is that unless you have the inner cage adjusted to its lowest position (where it fouls the arms of my specs) the adjustment dial sits too high inside the helmet to adjust while wearing it.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Mask Rex, lovely helmet, fits really well you hardly know you’re wearing it. Also has a real leather chin strap which is a nice touch.

shermer75
    Free Member

All about the shape of yer bonce innit.

Another Fox Flux, plus a Decathlon one for road/track stuff. The Decathlon one is half the price and still comfy, which is better I guess!

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

The cheap £10 ones from Aldis work great for trips to the supermarket, etc as you won’t worry about them getting scuffed. Added bonus of rear led mounted into the helmet.

Bluegrass goldeneyes.
    Met parabeum.

Goldeneyes feels breezier, so better for summer.
    Parabellum has more coverage but I feel the fit to be less comfortable than the goldeneyes.

Both met and bluegrass have the doofer that lets you mount a GoPro to the helmet.

In all cases, I wear a crag-hoppers nosilife scarf under the helmet.
    A better quality of fabric than the buff and (hopefully) wasp and midge-proof:)

vincienup
    Free Member

Currently: POC Trabec and MET Parachute with old Mavic Crossmax downgraded to commuter duties. Also an old THE proper full-face that’s getting a bit long in the tooth now but is needed so rarely I reckon it’s still OK …

Previous helmets include another MET Parachute (crashed very heavily many times before being written off), Giro Feature, Giro Hex, 661 Recon and several other Giros I’ve forgotten.

As variously above, you really need to try some helmets on based on recommendations rather than just ordering…

thwapy
    Free Member

Kask Rex here, superb fit for me…

lowey

Giro Xen was great. Comfy, fitted well.

661 recon. Awful helmet. Poor fit and terrible padding

Currently got a Sweet Protection bushwacker. In the shop it was easily the most comfy well fitting helmet I’ve ever had. However out on the trail its padding has a unique ability to channel ALL your sweat directly into your eyes. Wouldnt recommend.

yoshimi

Giro Xen was great. Comfy, fitted well.

661 recon. Awful helmet. Poor fit and terrible padding

Currently got a Sweet Protection bushwacker. In the shop it was easily the most comfy well fitting helmet I’ve ever had. However out on the trail its padding has a unique ability to channel ALL your sweat directly into your eyes. Wouldnt recommend.

Exactly the same experience – Now have an IXS Trail which I rate highly, and I’ve always been a Giro head shape so would suggest that the IXS would works for Giro people – obv you need to try them tho!

flaps
    Free Member

Well I wanted one that didn’t look big and today the TLD A1 arrived and it’s HUGE! Great design and well made, looks good in the hand but once on it’s like there’s a bin on my head!
    The M/L says up to 59cm but measuring in at 59.5 I thought I better go for the next size up to play safe. It will be going back 🙁 Not sure if I should try the size down or just get a refund.

On the plus side, the Fox jacket that’s reduced to £25 is spot on. Looks great!

kraken2345
    Free Member

I had 2 giro hex’s, cracked one and replaced, the second just got old and the pads/straps manky. Now I have a bell super 3 and love it, you can buy one with a chin bar or buy it separately but I’ve never felt the need. Plenty breathable too just a little pricey I suppose.

patagonian
    Free Member

2 X 661 Recons & a 661 MIPS because they fit my head perfectly.

ashweee
    Free Member

Kask Rex here, comfiest helmet I’ve ever worn but I find it very hot, after an hour I’m dripping in sweat even when it’s not hot out.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Helmets – What have you got?’ is closed to new replies.