Viewing 22 posts - 81 through 102 (of 102 total)
  • Helmets (or lack thereof at Dalby)
  • bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Head injuries when performing household tasks such as cooking and washing – 2194

Head injuries from cycling – 62

Head injuries in cars 1476

I think if you corrected these stats for the number of person-hours in the UK for which they were performed they would tell a different tale. There’s certainly a reporting bias too.. car crashes will almost always be reported, whereas I don’t drop rospa a line whenever I break my helmet.
    If you could collect valid statistics about trail centre accidents only then they might support an argument. The ones above simply aren’t relevant to the OP’s statement.

EDIT – and for the record, people can do what they want.. I wouldn’t choose to go riding with someone who didn’t wear a helmet though.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

It is relevant to the point I was making however – that you are more likely to get a head injury in your house or car than on your bike 🙂

I’ll accept lies damn lies and statistics however 🙂

stumpynya12
    Free Member

Tollah… you are always a source of the most excellent humour. How are the KON all well I hope ? You pre-registerd for SSEC2011 as Bungi is getting moist just thinking about dancing with you 😯

GW
    Free Member

EDIT – and for the record, people can do what they want.. I wouldn’t choose to go riding with someone who didn’t wear a helmet though.

What if they just followed you, say 10m behind? how would you cope?

Tim
    Free Member

Might need a helmet for this:

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

If I heard a scream-crunch-thud behind me, I’d just keep on riding…

rewski
    Free Member

Interesting, no helmet reference though:
    Old enough to know better…

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Actually, no. I’d go back and berate them on their careless mi-interpretation of statistical data.

(Sorry TJ! 😀 )

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

This all seems largely irrelevant unless people are actually arguing for helmets to be made compulsory on bikes?

If nobody is in favour, then why are we arguing about it – if you do wear a helmet, fine. If you don’t – well it’s your lookout. (speaking as an avid helmet wearer).

I’ve only had one accident which was a ‘helmet splitter’ – over the bonnet and up the roof of a car, then headfirst into the deck – and I’ve no desire to repeat the experience for the sake of a scientific enquiry into whether the lack of a helmet would have left me with severe head injuries (which is my suspicion, but can’t be proved after the fact). Of course, if TJ or someone else is willing to put their bare head on the line in order to advance human enlightenment and dispell the clouds of superstition, I’d be happy to supply them with the relevant details.

GW
    Free Member

Nice guy! 😯

Pook

It is relevant to the point I was making however – that you are more likely to get a head injury in your house or car than on your bike

It’s not though is it? There’s nothing in those stats that says you’re more likely to get a head injury in the house or car is there now?

All those stats illustrate is that more people have reported their head injuries in the house and car than have from being out on the bike.

I know for a fact that I have never reported the head bashes I’ve had on the bike, two of which I’m sure would’ve been much more painful to me if I wasn’t wearing a helmet. If others are like me, the stats are skewed completely.

RustySpanner

From rewski’s link:

Protective body armour, clip-in pedals and the use of a full-suspension bicycle may confer a protective effect.

Lights blue touch paper, stands well back………

Cup of tea and a ‘scream crunch’ anyone?

ps, managed the pizza and a brew without injury – wondering whether to push my luck and go for cheese and crackers?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

rewski – I’ll have a look at ehr full text later

I suspect its GT injuries mainly and thus virtually all have helmets on

Pook – I am sure there is significant under reporting of cycling injuries especially MTB ones One reason why research is so hard to do and unreliable

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

As for the armour but no helmet wearers at Dalby, you’ll probably find that, as they pulled on their 661s in the car park, this is how they saw themselves…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaokZWJ1gBM[/video]

Pook

I am sure there is significant under reporting of cycling injuries especially MTB ones One reason why research is so hard to do and unreliable

…and thus also these stats.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Careful rusty – almost 200 injuries from coffee and coffee pots! 144 from breadbins!

see – cycle helmets are irrelevant when the kitchen is so dangerous. Campaign for full pressure suits for kitchen use

stumpynya12
    Free Member

OP was a concern on lack of helmets at Dalby. The bigest problem area is Dixons Hollow (as noted by Mr Crud) i.e skills park. The biggest injured group thus far has been middle aged men riding skills compensatory cycles (full sus dandy horses) whilst showing their buddies,sons/daughters and on lookers how they rode back in the day…..Normal result ….Medic !!!!!!

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

Nice guy!

I appreciate ‘tongue in cheek’ doesn’t always communicate well online, so in case it wasn’t glaringly obvious, it was meant to be humorous and I have no wish for TJ or anyone else to actually get hurt in any way, irrespective of whether they’re wearing a helmet at the time or not. 🙄

rewski
    Free Member

Call me a middle aged southern softy if you like, but it gets though out there on those surrey hills.

You ought to see what I wear when I’m gardening.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’ve broken 2 lids & although I have no evidence that I would or wouldn’t have had a very sore head because of that, I still wear one.
    I said to a lad at Glentress once that I thought he was brave not wearing a lid & he said, ‘I’m sick of breaking them, every time I come here I fall of & smash my helmet, so I’ve given up’
    True that.

miketually
    Free Member

I’ve never, ever banged my head while on a bike. I bang my head in our kitchen every time my wife leaves one of the cupboard doors open. I even banged it myself while opening a cupboard door into my own head.

What’s a bigger killer: head injuries from cycling or coronary heart disease? I’m off to start a thread asking why fat people bother to wear bike helmets.

RustySpanner

I’m off to start a thread asking why fat people bother to wear bike helmets.

In case I fall off whilst riding to the cake shop? 🙁

And it was only a small pizza for lunch, honest.

Viewing 22 posts - 81 through 102 (of 102 total)

The topic ‘Helmets (or lack thereof at Dalby)’ is closed to new replies.