Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Helmets any recomendations/avoid at all costs..
  • lastuphills
    Free Member

Need a new helmet anyone got any recomendations?

Stiggy

The Troy Lee A1 is undoubtedly the most comfortable helmet I’ve ever tried, warm though 😀

lastuphills
    Free Member

Obviously not a popular topic, most people wear one so how about what helmet do you use?

matthew_h
    Free Member

Go and try some on. Only way to decide which helmet is for you.

jambo13
    Free Member

Got a Bell Super recently, good helmet and pretty good ventilation wise given the coverage of it; but that might be just cause it’s winter at the moment! 🙂

Tweeks Cycles had them for a good price at the time, not sure if they still do…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

661 Evo Full Face, love it
    Petzl Ecrin Rock for climbing
    Got a great road lid too…

what do you want it for?
    what are your priorities? Weight, Airflow, Protection?

The first factor is fit, thats very personal so go try some on.

lastuphills
    Free Member

Just been looking at the bell super looks okay….

tmb467
    Free Member

Got a bell super for Christmas – fits well and doesn’t look like it’s perched on my bonce

Had a bad cold for the last week tho so only worn it round the house and going shopping. Warm 🙂

lastuphills
    Free Member

Cheers jambo, tmb the power of leffe blonde (and port) has magically bought me a bell super and a turbo trainer I never knew I wanted

mattyd
    Free Member

I like my Catlike Leaf. I don’t see too many others around, but I like it.

crush83
    Free Member

Stiggy, how do you find the A1 on sizing? I have a 2 year old giro hex and was looking to upgrade to a A1 but not sure on size for ordering online.

elliott-20
    Free Member

I’ve been more than happy with Giro helmets for life but I’ve got to say I’ve just replaced one for a POC Trabec and it’s probably the most comfortable and ‘fitting’ helmet I have ever owned. Probably doubled by the fact I got it for les than half price. 😀

BillOddie

I quite like my Giro Feature.

Cheap as chips too…

jamj1974

POC Trabec excellent. Got a Feature as a ‘spare’ helmet and it works well although I feel it’s a bit warm. Use a Giro Instinct on the road and that is comfy and well ventilated. Catlike Leaf has quite a few dans on here and I wouldn’t mind trying one of them next.

timpol
    Free Member

Also using a Troy Lee A1, amazing fit! Also doesn’t make you look like one of the Mario brothers when in a larger size.

fathomer

I’m struggling to find a helmet that fits well, with the exception of the A1. Trouble is, it’s bloody expensive, looks hot and is gopping, thought the new grey one looks nice.

Anyone tried the new Scott Mythic/Stego?

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Recently sold my POC Trabec & replaced with a Bell Super.

Really happy with the fit & quality, not yet worn on the bike – nice that it has a really nifty Go-Pro mount.

I got the bright green one – it looks wicked! 🙂

onewheelgood

I bought a Specialized S3 this year – it’s the best helmet I’ve ever had. Very light, very comfortable, removable peak makes it fine for road and offroad… But quite pricy at £110.

breadcrumb

I get on with my Giro Feature and my 661 Recon. The Recon is a bit bulkier but better vents.

Horses for courses.

jambo13
    Free Member

I’d like to take credit for your choice lastuphills but I suspect the leffe had far more to do with it 😉

Great helmet though, sure you’ll be happy with it. I got it in the bright green also, still not 100% sure but what the heck….

chiefP
    Free Member

IXS Trail RS, Best Helmet i have ever bought and i’ve had a few!

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

POC Trabec for me, fits perfectly which for my fat head is a bit of a rarity!

schmiken

Kask K50 and Kask Mojito. Big fan.

lastuphills
    Free Member

Boo to tweeks cycles, ‘usually dispatched within 24hrs’ has turned into ‘around 22 day’s’ when I chased my order. So when I cancel the order and go on the search again can I still order the turbo trainer and class it as a beer buy even though I’m no longer under the influence of leffe (and port) ?

beicmynydd
    Free Member

I purchased a Met from Halfords it was about £30 in the sale before Christmas , not sure about the model name, blue with a LED at the back.

Had a big crash in Coed y Brenin made a big crack and dent at the side of the helmet, i just got up and rode away. ( but with a broken scaphoid)

lastuphills
    Free Member

Boo x2 can’t find anywhere that has one in Matt black in m at the same price

Fox flux is still the best helmet I’ve owned, even with the crap fin on the back. But mine has flames so all is good 😉

everyone
    Free Member

+1 for the Kask Mojito. Great if you want a road/xc lid.

lastuphills
    Free Member

I have re purchased a helmet and in random fashion have gone for the ixs this time, I have also rationalised that the turbo was bought in a beer haze and as such I should have to suffer the consequences of my rash action, thus have re ordered that as well. Thank you and welcome

dekadanse
    Free Member

Still with my Fox Flux, but Recon’s OK too.

If I were buying now, and given that the point of a helmet is head protection against trauma, I would go for one with MIPS, which apparently diminishes rotational forces injury. If you recall, some of the least stupid arguments produced by the helmet deniers (RIP Tandem Jeremy)were that if you wear a helmet you may be less likely to be killed in a major accident, but still quite likely to receive diffuse axonal injuries (I work with people with brain injuries, and be assured, that’s nasty). MIPS are designed to minimise DAI (not the Welshman) – therefore a helmet with MIPS gets my vote.

robbonzo
    Free Member

I’ve just ordered the bluegrass golden eye helmet. Good spec, ventilation, coverage etc..

MikeWW
    Free Member

+1 Kask Mojito

+1 Kask Mojito

That’s one fugly roadie lid for sure 😕

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Fox Flux was brilliant except I was probably on the line between the 2 sizes…

Potdog
    Free Member

The A1 is an amazingly comfy lid. But it’s expensive, hot and bits are already falling off mine. One of the nice little alloy screws holding the visor on disappeared on a ride about 3 weeks ago. Then last week the little rubber pad on the fit adjuster decided to fall off last week. 😥

Northwind

I fannied around trying out loads of helmets to replace my Fox Striker, eventually bought a Fox Striker- they’re light, relatively small, got good coverage, excellent vents, good straps and all.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Helmets any recomendations/avoid at all costs..’ is closed to new replies.