Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Helmet 'useable' lifespan (or an excuse to buy a new lid?)
  • thorpey0
    Free Member

Is there a recommended lifespan for biking lids? Is a ten year old Giro Zen a bit risky or fine to use if its not had an impact or should I convince the missus I might die at the slightest off if I don’t buy new…?

So what would people suggest, out of IXS Trail, Mavic Notch, POC Trabec or Giro Xar

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

3years/5years depending on which manufacturer you ask. I’ve never made it over 2 years due to too many offs!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

As above,the norm is 3-5 years OR one big hit.

The 3-5 is based on a well looked after/stored helmet as well. Some of the battered helmets I used to see worn by AlturaMan when commuting in London were truly scary!

Onzadog
    Free Member

I think MET actually tested this a while back rather than just letting the marketing department guess. I think they came out at 6 year. It was certainly less than ten.

matt_outandabout

Depending on use and storage, 3-5 years typically (most outdoor centres do 1-3 years…). We ‘tested’ a few old helmets, and most seemed to be pretty good still*.
    * if bashing it with a gert big hammer or log is a scientific test enough…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So what would people suggest, out of IXS Trail, Mavic Notch, POC Trabec or Giro Xar

The one that fits your head, same as saddles fit is the most important thing after colour.

Also at 10 years of “use” do you know how many times it’s been dropped, banged, hit etc.?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Helmet 'useable' lifespan (or an excuse to buy a new lid?)’ is closed to new replies.