Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • Helmet 'saves cyclist's life' in the Surrey Hills – Have we done this?
  • tuskaloosa
    Free Member

Just came across this video and article.

jumpcrashunconscious

Some really good work by the guys who helped.

Other than the age old debate about helmets, personally I think not wearing a helmet is just plain silly but that’s just me.

What is the app/tool with the grid reference?
    and
    Wonder if this prompted (assuming he was made aware of this incident) the landowner (MF) to take necessary action on MBR/Evian and the new jump trail which ran below that.

bigblackshed

“Andy” is a lucky bloke. Very fortunate to fall off in front of someone who knew what he was doing.

Doff my cap to Tim Rowsell.

The App is GB Grid Ref Worker I think. Useful app.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Other than the age old debate about helmets, personally I think not wearing a helmet is just plain silly but that’s just me.

Well, if you’re a clueless nodder like the chap in the video, then yes. But if you know how to ride a bike properly, then not wearing a helmet is absolutely fine.

teef
    Free Member

Helmet ‘saves cyclist’s life’

Looks like the impact was taken by his face not by his helmet – maybe a full face one might have helped.

ajantom

Well, if you’re a clueless nodder like the chap in the video, then yes. But if you know how to ride a bike properly, then not wearing a helmet is absolutely fine.

yes, because no one who knows what they’re doing has ever fallen off and banged their head in the history of cycling.

not that helmets are the be all and end all of cycling safety, but they have saved my noggin on numerous occasions.

wilburt
    Free Member

Whilst one has never saved my “noggin” in forty years…just for balance.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

who is the clueless one here, I wonder…

jam-bo

What helmet for trollin…

fathomer

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

I’ve a corporate grid finder app(lone worker) , came in very handy when we found a kid with concussion in Friston. Also the St. John’s app helped to remind me to check things I’d missed in the heat of the moment.

falkirk-mark

Whilst one has never saved my “noggin” in forty years…just for balance

Yer obviously not trying hard enough then.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Not so sure what the helmet did in that one to be honest, maybe it made the accident worse by acting as a lever ?

The one thing they teach you in first aid courses is don’t let the casualty move. Having been first on seen at a RTA, all I can say to you is good luck on that one. Like this guy in the vid the first reaction of some one who has been unconscious is to move around once they become conscious, and it’s really hard to stop them.

I don’t think the guy filming did great to be honest.

cheekyget
    Free Member

Always wear a helmet guys…cause you never know
    I had a crash a few years back ….I got knock out ….and came around a few seconds later with my helmet scraping along the Tarmac ….if I didn’t have my lid on ….half my skin could have come off instead of a few scratches on the lid.
    The point is no matter how careful you are ….anything can happen

Plan for the worst….hope for the best!!

wilburt
    Free Member

That’ll be an iron man suit then.

MoreCashThanDash

what cheekyget said – I’m a tame wheels on the ground bridleway mincer, but the last two times I’ve come off – ice and then a muddy rock – it’s been my head that has made an impact on the ground, enough to leave me woozy for a few minutes.

I’m not in favour of compulsion, but I will always use one based on my experience.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Plan for the worst….hope for the best!!

so you wear it in the shower and in the car where the risk of a head injury is just as likely as on the bike?

IIRC its actually greater in a car

Me depends what I ride mince along the canal probably wont bother

Off road almost certainly will bother
    Road it all depends on how I feel

wilburt
    Free Member

tbh I do wear a helmet when I intend to ride with any vigour, but i can’t help responding to the “always wear a helmet because I once fell off…” type posts because they are just so ******** stupid.

ninfan
    Free Member

tbh I do wear a helmet when I intend to ride with any vigour, but i can’t help responding to the “always wear a helmet because I once fell off…” post because they are just so ******** stupid.

Isn’t that a bit like only wearing a Rubber Johnny when you sleep with prozzies?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

so you wear it in the shower and in the car where the risk of a head injury is just as likely as on the bike?

How many people fall over in the shower – is it age related ? Then maybe they should be wearing helmets.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Ignoring the ****s up there 🙄 , props to the guys who helped Andy. Really puts into perspective the dangers of riding alone. Stay safe folks!!

wilburt
    Free Member

Isn’t that a bit like only wearing a Rubber Johnny when you sleep with prozzies?

If thats your crude way of suggesting I’m measuring risk, yes

Bez

No.

It’s a bit like only wearing a helmet when you get in a racing car, and not when you drive to the shops.

And it’s a bit like wearing a helmet when you climb a vertical rock face, and not when you walk up stairs.

DaveVanderspek
    Free Member

No, when you are on the road anyone can take you out at any time, you have little or sometimes no chance to do anything about it.
    When you are on the trails you can choose whether to hit the jump or go full on DH down each descent,or miss out a gnarly section, you have the choice how risky you want to ride.
    Baffles me how people think its safer on the roads.

kerley
    Free Member

How many people fall over in the shower – is it age related

No, it is a water induced slippery surface.

The car example is better though, how many people wear a helmet when driving?
    If you don’t then you need to think why that is and they go back and think why you do when cycling.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Baffles me how people think its safer on the roads.

I have more crashes of road than on road. TBH its a certainty that if I continue to ride a MTB i will have another accident, This certainty does not exist on the road.

TBH I assume it a certainty for all of us unless we just bimble on gravel roads.

hora
    Free Member

“Clueless nodder”. I’m sorry? You of course podium at amateur enduro and DH races no doubt?

Stop digging and building jumps on private land.

Innocent members of the public get hurt all because of men who think they are cool or hip in someway. Goes back to that fella who seems to like stoking ill feeling in good decent landowners of the area.

Junkyard
    Free Member

TBH if you ride a new area and you cannot stop for any trial feature you cannot really blame either nature or whomever built it as every time you ride somewhere new who knows what is next – except trail centres where it is all rollable

Not having a go at the poor fella who crashed but he clearly did not try to avoid that he did that intentionally

We all have a moment where our skill meets our enthusiasm in a painful way. Nan Bield I am looking at you

TheDoctor
    Free Member

hora
    Free Member

riding a smooth forest path that you may have ridden previously but then someone digs our a (insert any size) jump or double can throw anyone.

Nan bield = you know what to expect

If you haven’t ridden something before then its always good to be cautious but then you get a feeling it’s going to have a bite or another rider prewarns.

cookeaa

Oh good a helmet “debate”…

Ride what you like, where you like, wearing whatever you like…

But if you feel the need to preach to a bike forum (probably ~90% helmet users?) about the wonders of foam hats, then kindly just **** off, we’ve heard it all before, we can all assess the risks for ourselves ta…

Try twitter they love uninformed blather there…

wilburt
    Free Member

Ride what you like, where you like, wearing whatever you like…
    But if you feel the need to preach to a bike forum (probably ~90% helmet users?) about the wonders of foam hats, then kindly just **** off, we’ve heard it all before, we can all assess the risks for ourselves ta…
    Try twitter they love uninformed blather there…

Perfectly put, copied for the next time it crops up.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Looks to me like the guy had no idea it was a gap jump and not rollable. Based on what he was wearing he didn’t look like the type of rider to be jumping gaps deliberately. More like an occasional / novice rider.

Always wear a helmet

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I still can’t see why wearing a helmet made a difference. He did a face plant and got knocked out

Bez

Always wear a helmet

*puts helmet on before cooking dinner*

jambalaya
    Free Member

🙂

jam-bo

And it’s a bit like wearing a helmet when you climb a vertical rock face, and not when you walk up stairs.

Except the main reason you wear a helmet when climbing is to protect from rocks falling from above.

Do people throw rocks at you while you climb your stairs?

slowoldman

I used to hate wearing a helmet when climbing. I kept banging my head. It caused some panic in France once after a cry of “Pierre” from above. It took a split second to realise he wasn’t shouting to his mate.

Anyway, perhaps I’m crap at riding a bike as I’ve landed on my head twice mountain biking so I’m not about to stop wearing a helmet.

SaxonRider

It’s a bit like only wearing a helmet when you get in a racing car, and not when you drive to the shops.

Good analogy. Regardless of the rest of the debate on this thread, I have often wondered how to distinguish between those times when I wear a helmet (when mountain biking, and doing ‘proper’ road rides), and those when I don’t (when commuting), and this helps.

fanatic278
    Free Member

I’m not sure why this had to turn into a helmet debate. I wish we’d just concentrate on what an amazing effort the guy put into keeping Andy safe until the ambulance came. We could all probably learn a thing or two from his performance.

SaxonRider

I’m not sure why this had to turn into a helmet debate. I wish we’d just concentrate on what an amazing effort the guy put into keeping Andy safe until the ambulance came. We could all probably learn a thing or two from his performance.

To be fair, I got Mrs SR and SR juniors to watch the clip because it was both moving and instructional. The actions of the guy with the GoPro were phenomenal.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Helmet 'saves cyclist's life' in the Surrey Hills – Have we done this?’ is closed to new replies.