Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Helmet pads – how to wash?
  • jekkyl

So sticking your stinky helmet pads in the washing machine causes them to fall apart so methods and/or products can anyone recommend to get them clean?

kcr
    Free Member

Hot water and washing up liquid.

zippykona

Go and buy a john McEnroe head band . Cut it in half. Sew some Velcro on the back.
    Cut the brow pad out of your helmet and stick in your half McEnroe .
    Get sweaty chuck it in the washing machine and replace with the other half of the sweat band.
    The other pads rarely get that sweaty. If they do just rinse them under a tap til they run clear.

Northwind

Hand wash, with baby shampoo (reason being, it won’t attack the fabrics no matter what, and if you’re incompetent at rinsing it out, it’s not too bad when it gets in your eyes.)

Pro helmet washing tip- get a big plastic box with a lid, fill with soapy water, throw entire helmet in, put lid on to push helmet under water, leave to soak, occasionally give it a shoogle

iainc

Just pop the whole lid in a warm soapy sink or bath, slosh around, remove and let it dry – usually takes 24hrs till dry. Fresh and clean every time 🙂

timidwheeler

I put mine in a mesh bag. Liquid soap and 30° wash in the machine. Never a problem.

DezB
    Free Member

I put mine in a jersey pocket. Or just give em a shampoo when I’m in the bath.

I always make sure i soak up the sweat with kitchen towels after a ride though. Stops em getting stinky.

RustySpanner

Remove clothes.
    Get in shower.
    Shampoo on hair/head.
    Put on helmet.
    Rinse helmet.
    Rinse helmet.
    Attempt to explain to spouse why you’re wearing a sweaty bike helmet in the shower.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Helmet pads have got worse or soap has got stronger. For years I used to put mine in the pocket of a pair of shorts and put them through the washing machine. They’d take a good few washes like that.

Now even show your pads hot water and they fall apart.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Beaker.

MrOvershoot

Rusty Spanner – Member
    Remove clothes.
    Get in shower.
    Rinse helmet.
    Rinse helmet.
    Attempt to explain to spouse why you’re a sweaty helmet in the shower.

At your age Pete 😉

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I put mine in a mesh bag. Liquid soap and 30° wash in the machine. Never a problem.

Me too, except i use halo sports wash because that’s what I’ve got handy.

timidwheeler

Tesco liquid soap flakes. It’s about £3 a litre. I use it instead of tech/sports wash. It is Goretex friendly and cheap.
    I put all my kit in the washing machine in a mesh bag 30°wash.

Except the whole of my full face which wouldn’t fit through the door.

Don’t full spin the more delicate stuff though.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Same here, just chuck them in with the rest of my kit.

tomd
    Free Member

I put mine in a jersey pocket and wash like that every few weeks. They’re giro pads and 2 years old so seems to work.

belugabob
    Free Member

+1 for mesh bag in the washing machine

liquid soap flakes

Oxymoron, surely?

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

put mine in a jersey pocket and wash like that every few weeks. They’re giro pads and 2

years old so seems to work.

Must be soap or temperature dependent – that kills my girl pads on the first wash. What soap and temp?

stewartc
    Free Member

Same, no problems though I have no idea what detergent is used as I just grab whatever is in the cabinet.

cooie

Shorts pocket for me.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

I use a bit of Muc-off helmet foam fresh.

IF they get really minging then they go in the washing machine

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Helmet pads – how to wash?’ is closed to new replies.