Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Helmet overkill
  • ebennett

Just saw a guy with a full face helmet on in the centre of Manchester. On a Brompton. Makes me feel better about having worn mine while mincing around the red at Glentress!

scaled
    Free Member

haha I’ve seen him about, always gives me a little smile.

Then again, seeing folks on bikes normally makes me smile

thomthumb
    Free Member

guy in southampton i’ve seen about for years.

Cheap but well maintained carrera road bike: pretty racy position.
    wifebeater.
    full face.
    normally seen giving it beans in traffic.

V.odd.

bigjim

There are a vigilante cyclist couple in edinburgh who wear full faces and have every possible piece of cycle clothing and accessory on their bike, I’ve seen them chase after joggers who momentarily stray into the cycle lane and shout at them for doing so, does my head in.

ajantom

I saw a couple of lads on mid-level Carrera MTBs up on Woodbury Common last week. Jeans, trainers, no gloves, but both wearing full face helmets. A bit odd.

bigjim

on the flipside a few times a year I see people at the top of the Inners DH tracks with no helmet at all.

tops5
    Free Member

haha I’ve seen him about, always gives me a little smile

Think I’ve seen him round Cheetham Hill too!

P-Jay
    Free Member

Know a bloke who used to ride around on a HT frame with 200mm forks. His pre-ride prep involved lager and weed, post ride was Cider – NEVER the other way around – he was quick too, occasionally he’d stop to vomit, but in between he was genuinely quick.

Anyway, he took his protection very seriously, he always wore shin pads, football shin pads admittedly, but pads all the same – not a helmet though, oh sod that.

Finally, after a couple of near misses he bought himself a helmet and stopped drinking before riding. Ironically first time out with a lid he crashed on the freeride track at Cwmcarn, first time there he threw himself down chasing someone who knew the way, off the wood drops and towards the corkscrew (all gone now of course) misread it completely and sent it straight down rather than railing the berm and handed on his head.

He felt a bit off, so rolled a joint and took 5 before finishing – 3 days later the headache was still there so he went to the docs – fractured skull.

Haven’t seen him for years, but he’s an odd one – to this day I’ve never understood he almost evangelical belief in shin pads, but not a helmet.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

A friend of mine hit a parked car once while commuting, long time ago, broke both top and bottom jaw and tore his lips apart on the roof rack.
    He wore a full face for some time after until he had fully healed up.

He didn’t mind looking like a dick.

beano68
    Free Member

[quoteP-Jay – Member
    Know a bloke who used to ride around on a HT frame with 200mm forks. His pre-ride prep involved lager and weed, post ride was Cider – NEVER the other way around – he was quick too, occasionally he’d stop to vomit, but in between he was genuinely quick.

Anyway, he took his protection very seriously, he always wore shin pads, football shin pads admittedly, but pads all the same – not a helmet though, oh sod that.

Finally, after a couple of near misses he bought himself a helmet and stopped drinking before riding. Ironically first time out with a lid he crashed on the freeride track at Cwmcarn, first time there he threw himself down chasing someone who knew the way, off the wood drops and towards the corkscrew (all gone now of course) misread it completely and sent it straight down rather than railing the berm and handed on his head.

He felt a bit off, so rolled a joint and took 5 before finishing – 3 days later the headache was still there so he went to the docs – fractured skull.

Haven’t seen him for years, but he’s an odd one – to this day I’ve never understood he almost evangelical belief in shin pads, but not a helmet.

Class read there P-Jay

jameso

Saw 2 guys last weekend riding XC both in tights and full-facers, Parachutes I think. Not as heroic as P-Jays mate but still, fair dues to those who either don’t know or don’t care about fashion. They’re probably happier than most who do.

Bregante

haha I’ve seen him about, always gives me a little smile

Are you sure that’s not just wishful thinking? How would you know when he’s wearing s full face? 😉

sandwicheater

See a couple of guys in full faces on the commute most days. Been seeing them for a couple of years and always double take when I see them. Think one of them has a motorbike helmet on.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Helmet overkill’ is closed to new replies.