Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Helmet mount Exposure flash/flare – anyone?
  • tonyd

Just been charging up lights for the commute now winter appears to be well and truly rushing in. Last year I wanted to helmet mount my flash/flare combo but never quite got round to it. Anyone managed to do it nicely? Ideally one behind the other, back to back.

Rummaging through the spares draw I just found a plastic clip with two pairs of prongs, if you know what I mean. The flash sits in one end quite nicely, particularly as it has a lip at the back of the metal body to stop it sliding through the clip. The flare however doesn’t have this lip so could possibly slide out of the other end of the clip. I might be able to rig it with a tight o-ring. Then I just need to figure out how to best mount it to my helmet, without damaging it too much. Alternatively I could try to get hold of a broken flare and use the metal part for the flash, this would have the lip required to hold it in to the clip. This probably means nothing without photos, I’ll ponder it some more and perhaps post some up tomorrow.

So, anyone found a good, neat way of mounting these on a helmet? If so, photos please!

Ta

PS I could probably just use the bar mount from the flash and buy another, but I’m trying to avoid paying through the nose for bits of plastic that still won’t sit neatly on a helmet. Why don’t they just make helmet mounts??!!

tonyd

Bump for the lunchtime/commuter crowd. Hopefully someone out there has come up with something ingenious (or simple!).

MoreCashThanDash

I love my flash flare lights for commuting, but as a driver I wouldn’t want to have to deal with them at helmet height – too bright, dazzling and distracting.

I just use some little Smart lights on the lid. Think on one sell them.

P7Pro

I’ve got a Flash and Flare on a Giro Xen helmet. They’re both attached using Flash handlebar mounts and sit very well with this helmet.

There’s no issue with the lack of lip on the Flare, as it doesn’t move. The positioning is dependant on the vents – the Flare sits right at the back and the Flash is in the middle.

I’ve used this setup for two years and it works very well.

tonyd

Cash – I see your point but I’m not sure 18 inches higher/lower would make that much difference when the lights are angled away and generally moving around. A lot of my commute is fast A/B road and I’m usually head down and gurning rather than staring into drivers windows.

P7 – interesting, thanks. I tried the flash bar mount on my lid last night and while it fits it didn’t sit particularly well. I guess over time it will just sink into the helmet and settle, not sure if this is a good thing or bad!

Perhaps I’m over thinking this 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Helmet mount Exposure flash/flare – anyone?’ is closed to new replies.