Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Helmet lights MTB
  • sri16v
    Free Member

As the title suggests, I’m looking for a decentish Helmet light for some night riding now the nights are drawing in.

I already have a wiz 20 for the handle bars but I’m struggling to know what to get for the helmet light?

Any ideas/suggestions?

tom200

Diablo is best I’m afraid.

Trailscorcher 2
    I am biased in that I make these for Cyclorise. Sold loads locally as folks realise its got the best lumen/ weight/ burn time ratio out there.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Diablo is best I’m afraid

Most convenient, not best. No cables etc is great, but my diablo is nowhere near as good as my lumenator.

dannyh
    Free Member

daveatextremistsdotcouk – Member
    Trailscorcher 2
    I am biased in that I make these for Cyclorise. Sold loads locally as folks realise its got the best lumen/ weight/ burn time ratio out there.

POSTED 39 SECONDS AGO # REPORT-POST

I’m sure it’s a great light, looks nice etc.

But it’s very tall. Sometimes sheer practicality has a place, I wouldn’t want to use a £119 light like that if I’m almost certain to whack it on a branch.

dannyh
    Free Member

BTW. I’m not being deliberately provocative. There are some tyres that are awesome grip-wise, but I’d never use them as you can’t get them off the rim with cold, wet thumbs should you need to. XTR rear mechs? Lovely, but is it practical having something so expensive hanging off of a mountain bike in that place.

cp

But it’s very tall. Sometimes sheer practicality has a place, I wouldn’t want to use a £119 light like that if I’m almost certain to whack it on a branch.

From their website:-

battery will keep going on full power for nearly three hours yet is light enough to feel comfortable when strapped to the back of the helmet with the lamp mounted well forwards on its GoPro compatible range of fittings. This arrangement dramatically reduces the chance of injury caused by overhanging branches.

In reality it sounds much better than most other helmet mounted options, and way better than Exposure diablo or joystick mounted up top!!

What I do with the Trailscorcher2 is buy the lamp only, trim the cable, then drill and tap the GoPro fittings. Battery pack I make myself – without the best 3500mA cells, I would not get a guaranteed performance. I find that two cells is the limit for decent weight distribution. It’s also double the power of the Diablo.

dannyh
    Free Member

A bit of adaptation sorts it then?

Good stuff. Wasn’t trolling, just wondering.

I’ll admit it does need a decent photo showing the intended mounting position. Also some beam shots. I’ll get that done soon.

hanchurch
    Free Member

Cheap solarstorm a GoPro mount and some super glue has done me fine for 3 years so far.

goby

Does look good will be good to see beam shots etc

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

Looks like the trail scorcher would be lower profile with the lower mount removed and bolted up
    To a normal go pro clip?

swoosh
    Free Member

I have a fluxient from torchy on my list and it’s great, quite punchy for the price. Much better than a mates exposure spark.

link to ebay

stewartc
    Free Member

Glowrom lites, hardy, great batteries, lots of mounting options and good size plus its like you carrying around your own miniature sun.
    Have both an X2 (1700 lumens) and an XS (2500 Lumens), best lights I have ever used, even used my X2 for a recent night trail run race that went on over 9 hours, battery didn’t even get past half power (admittedly I was running at 50% power).

deadkenny
    Free Member

I can’t find a picture with it mounted on a helmet, but Four4th OMG has an angled cable connector at the back to allow a lower mountain at the front. Though all the Four4ths can be mounted fair forward anyway.

Oh and the OMG is stupidly bright.

Fair few people I ride with have them (I’ve got older Four4th stuff and love them), though there’s a bias to local groups as local company (Aldershot).

Kamakazie

I run an Ituo XP2 on my helmet to compliment the Wiz20 on the bars and am very happy with the performance. Attaches to a GoPro mount as well. Battery pack is 4cell I think though so a bit heavy for the helmet. I put it in my bag or alternatively I’ve stuck it round my arm when I’ve not had a bag with me.

Only negative with the 2 is that the Wiz20 uses a different style of mount which seems a bit daft.

Oh, with the trailscorcher you could always get an alternative GoPro mount (like the Ituo uses) that is angled forward rather than straight up. That would rude the stack height significantly.

shortcut

For me it has to be something from Four4th lights. These are excellent.

https://four4th.co.uk/products/lights/omg-greenleds/

craig24
    Free Member

swoosh – Member
    I have a fluxient from torchy on my list and it’s great, quite punchy for the price. Much better than a mates exposure spark.

link to ebay

Just gone for the same with one of these mounts attached to a GoPro mount –

https://www.evanscycles.com/fwe-helmet-mount-for-150-300-450-500-lumen-front-lights-EV244793?xid=78888&awc=1302_1508412828_4b551761cb84197ba11cf8dcd0a50a57&utm_source=awin&utm_campaign=78888&utm_medium=Affiliate

rossco832

I run a Diablo I have no experience elsewhere but I wouldn’t buy anything else now. The lack of wires was an absolute must for me.

iainc

Current Joytick is lightweight, self contained and 1000lumens on full. If you toggle the power while riding it easily goes for 3 hrs. They were under £100last week at Halfords and are regularly under £130.

dlr

Stewartc – Just pre-ordered a 2018 X2, 15% off offer as well atm, now has a wireless switch. Think the XS is being redone early next year but taking a gamble on the X2 being adequate for my poor eyes combined with the maxx-d I already own on my bars. Was considering a Diablo but the X2 is similar price, lighter and 3 times the battery on max.

birky
    Free Member

https://www.mtbbatteries.co.uk/mountain-bike-lights/lumen800/

“Now on sale reduced from £76 to £55 including postage”

scuttler

Second the Lumen800 from MTBBatteries. Light so it doesn’t bounce around and low profile so it bounces around even less and doesn’t whack on branches. How low profile depends on your helmet but there’s an example from the website

singletrackmind

Nitecore Ec4s