Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 93 total)
  • Helmet light with gopro mount.
  • richmtb

My Bell Super helmet came with a Go Pro mount.

I don’t have a Go Pro but it would be nice to use the mount for a Solar Storm light.

Has anyone successfully bodged the mount that comes with the helmet to hold a light?

Northwind

andybrad – Member

can i ask why are you guys set on the go pro mounting? im guessing its because you have a go pro? or is it because its a really good mount.

It’s a really good mount- light, stable and secure, very thin, and quick release. Removable too, it’s just a 3m sticky pad. I use it because I had all the parts already but it’d still be a good option if I didn’t (though, I wouldn’t have thought of it 😉 )

andysmiff1
    Free Member

richmtb – Member
    My Bell Super helmet came with a Go Pro mount.
    I don’t have a Go Pro but it would be nice to use the mount for a Solar Storm light.
    Has anyone successfully bodged the mount that comes with the helmet to hold a light?
    POSTED 12 MINUTES AGO #

Yup – I’ve done it. Really happy with it. At work at the mo but will upload some pics later to this thread.

Also used a second super/go-pro mount and modified it with some sugru to fit the vent on my road lid, so have the same mount system on both lids!

piesoup
    Free Member

carlphillips – Member

yes bud i’d like to try one out.
    I have a troutlite can send dimensions/pics later if you need them but it has a flat base to glue/fix to..
    mail in profile if you want to sort out details payment/post etc
    Posted 1 hour ago # Report-Post

shedbrewed – Member

Likewise but I wanted the mount to be sacrificial in case I twatted a tree with my head. There are a lot of low hanging trees where I ride.

Cool, send me any dimensions of the Trout light and Shedbrewed, can you send me the dims of the SSX2 as well. I’ll knock up a few different ones with a wasted portion designed to shear at the weekend and send them out for you to try.
    The plastic is easily filed, so if they are not quite right, you can file them to fit. Then if you want a re printed one, just show me what you have adjusted so I can redraw them.
    My email is in my profile too.

Cheers

jamesfts
    Free Member

Bit late to the party but I’d also be very interested in this if that’s ok?

Will get the light and mounts out and do some measuring/scribbling and try to work out a secure, low profile way of doing it.

piesoup
    Free Member

jamesfts – Member

Bit late to the party but I’d also be very interested in this if that’s ok?

Will get the light and mounts out and do some measuring/scribbling and try to work out a secure, low profile way of doing it.

Of course! That would be great, my email is in the profile. I will send a render of the proposed mount for you to see before I print them.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

As it stands

Underside of SSX2

After removing mount

Screw is M4 and is 7.5mm to centre from rear of light and 17.5mm to centre from sides. Bottom of light is flat and 35mm wide 42mm long

postierich
    Free Member

just messed around with the light and mount and works quite well stuck the go pro case on for comedy effect far to heavy to use with light and camera
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/pmdyDd]10676395_10152940120226474_4916038536176228583_n[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

bentudder

Yes please – and sorry it’s taken me so long to come back – work fun.
    I’ve go a Solarstorm and a fake Solarstorm. The dimensions are roughly the same as Shedbrewed (using my ruler -sorry, no micrometer)

real:
    M5 mount hole 7 – 7.5m from back of light
    underside is 34 x 42mm (42 is front-to-back measurement)

Fake:
    M5 mount hole 7 – 7.5m from back of light
    underside is 35 x 42mm

Both lights have a very shallow, 10mm wide channel about .5 to 1mm deep running the length of the underside that’s the full length of the light at 42mm long. you can see it in Shed’s last pic.

I’ll drop you a mail with some pics, Piesoup. I have an engineer mate who will probably have access to a micrometer and be good at measuring things. 🙂

jamesfts
    Free Member

Just sent you over an email.

I also completely forgot to include any sort of dimensions! It’s actually identical to the above, 7.5mm give or take from the back of the lamp with a M4 bolt. Surface area under the lamp is a lot smaller but can file to remove anything that gets tangled.

Thanks!

bentudder

Actually – one other thing. The three channels on the bottom of the solarstorm might be hand for steadying the mount a little – even if there were little nubbins the size of a grain of rice on the light / mount interface, that could be cool. Might not be massively practical in a 3d printer – I’m guessing you’d start with the lamp interface and extrude up to the bolt hole.

piesoup
    Free Member

Thanks for all the pictures and dimensions guys. Here is a quick drawing, very similar to mine actually. I looked at the idea of having a center raised portion to sit in the light groove, but then you wont get the slight left and right adjustment. I can easily put it in if needed.
    As you can see, there is 23mm of plastic for the light to sit on. The light is 42mm long. Would you want the mount longer? I wouldn’t worry about the printed mount slipping in the GoPro mount, it sits nice and tight in there. If you find the bigger lights do slip down, we can make adjustments.

If there isn’t any feedback on the proposed design, I will print off a load over the weekend and we can see how they work out.

Thanks for all the emails, I will reply this evening individually.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Just seeing a broken image link there, piesoup.

piesoup
    Free Member

[url=https://flic.kr/p/qitGk2]GoPro SSSX2dwg[/url] by andrewfraser036, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/pmU3Mt]GoPro SSSX2[/url] by andrewfraser036, on Flickr

jamesfts
    Free Member

edit – beaten to it.

Looking great!

Going to have to play with trimming the front edge as my lamp, usefully, has the power chord coming out of the bottom.

piesoup
    Free Member

My bad! its not easy at work as they block all image hosting sites on the work PC’s and wifi.

bentudder

Perfect – that’ll work a treat. No need to make it extend out to 42mm, I reckon. A bit of yaw built in would probably be a very good thing; it’s easy to re-position a velcro’ed mount, but not something that’s been 3Med on.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

That looks like it’d work well, piesoup.
    If you email me your details I’ll bung a few quid your way for you to make and post one for me to test.

piesoup
    Free Member

Excellent, I’ll get printing!
    James, how far is the cable from the hole on your light? And how long do you need your mount? I notice on your light the mount sits on the smaller diameter portion.
    The printer can print all the parts at the same time even if they are different so don’t worry if you guys want differences between the mounts. The plastic is easily filed or drilled so modification at home is easy.
    So, James wants mounts allowing for the cable,
    Bent udder wants Solar Storm mounts,
    Shed wants Solar Storm mounts

Any one else?

gavstorie
    Free Member

can i get a couple of solarstorm mounts and one with no hole drilled in it? (3 in total)

J273
    Free Member

Id ike a SSX2 mount to try please.

piesoup
    Free Member

Could gav and j273 email me if you haven’t already.
    Easier to remember real names!

Orders now closed!

nixon
    Free Member

I’ve just finished adapting my helmet’s GoPro mount so that my new light will fit; I first drilled a hole through the mount pad in line with the bolt which holds the two pieces of the mount together, then found a longer bolt which would go through the whole mount and into the light, and packed it out in places with washers. I then cut a groove in the rear of the mount so that the light cable had somewhere to go, and ran the cable through that then back to the outside of the helmet. Pics paint a thousand words:

gavstorie
    Free Member

email sent 🙂

piesoup
    Free Member

Here they are! I few more holes to drill, then I’ll send them. You can’t use a drill as it tends to rip the plastic. Spinning the bits by hand, 0.5mm increments 😕

piesoup
    Free Member

Nixon, that’s a really low profile mount, what is it? I like it!

andybrad

nixon winning so far.

danposs86

Where does the cable go?

nixon
    Free Member

It’s the actual GoPro mount which came with my MET Parabellum, I just had to do some adapting and adding of washers to make it fit, cheers! The mount comes apart so it fits into an air vent from above and below and bolts together, I just altered it so that the bolt makes it through to thread into the light as well.

The cable goes through the mount into the helmet, then runs through a central channel between two support pads so the wire never touches my bonce, then goes back out the next vent along, then runs down the back of the helmet to my backpack where the battery is.

piesoup
    Free Member

Shed, can you email me as I have your mounts ready for sending.
    Cheers

jamesfts
    Free Member

James, how far is the cable from the hole on your light? And how long do you need your mount? I notice on your light the mount sits on the smaller diameter portion.

Sorry – missed this earlier will get the measurement over to you asap.

Mounts are looking great!

piesoup
    Free Member

Cheers!

carlphillips
    Free Member

Mount is ace thanks!!!
    Can you contact me with cost please as I seem to have lost you email!

benjii19
    Free Member

1/4 turn gopro mount off ebay and one m4 screw (cut down) is all you need to convert a solarstorm x2 to fit the gopro buckles.

piesoup
    Free Member

I am doing a run of Magicshine 880 go pro mounts, so if there are guys who need mounts for that light, or any other light for that matter, email is in my profile.
    £5 delivered.

istri
    Free Member

don’t suppose you’d be able to make me one of those mounts @piesoup?

thepodge
    Free Member

If they’ve not got any then I could 3D print you one

istri
    Free Member

That’d be awesome mate! howmuch do you charge?

thepodge
    Free Member

Email me and we can go through the details there podge1000 at Hotmail.com

womp
    Free Member

I am also interested in a mount if anyone prints a batch.

Also spotted this..
    http://bikelightmount.com/

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘Helmet light with gopro mount.’ is closed to new replies.