• This topic has 15 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by benp1.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Helmet light. Diablo or Equinox?
  • matlockmeat
    Free Member

Anyone got either of the above?

Any reason to strongly choose one over the other?

Not that fussed about the remote switch (just something else to clutter the bars)

Exposure website says equinox only has 30 minutes burn time on high, that sounds rather daft.

BadlyWiredDog

Why not a Joystick? Just wondering as it’s a really good light on your head and if you have extra budget, you could always add a supplementary Piggyback back-up battery to increase the burn time.

dovebiker

I have an Equinox – remote means that I can extend the battery a lot as it only needs to be on high for short blasts – with a Piggy-back easy to extend to a few hours.

Flaperon

Equinox noticeably heavier than the Diablo when helmet mounted. Suggest you feel the weights first before buying. Not convinced the Equinox is worth the extra unless you need the remote switch.

tom200

Diablo is great as a helmet mount. I have mine on 3/1hr which is ample. 1hr is plenty for techie bits.

SOAP
    Free Member

Thread hijack,,,,What lights do you guys run with the diablo?
    Just picked up a mk7.
    I like the price of the wiz20 but I’m guessing a max d is better suited

astormatt
    Free Member

I have a mk7 Diablo up top with a mk6 Sixpack on the bars.
    the Diablo is a neat little light, good spread of light and the tap function is good.
    I have bought the ‘support cells’ for both lights but haven’t needed to see them yet.
    Love the fact they are cable free and run times are pretty good.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Lupine Piko?

shaungero
    Free Member

I have a as new Exsposure diablo in classifieds if interested 😀

honeybadgerx

I’ve an equinox with a piggyback and the other half has a diablo, I’m glad I’ve got the equinox. There’s about 8 different settings to suit your riding and the remote switch is great, encourages you to save the battery.

wiggles
    Free Member

Diablo, the latest one is 1400 lumens and has a wider beam that previous models. Equinox feels too heavy and need an extra battery really

momo

Diablo on the helmet and a MaxxD on the bars. Generally run the diablo on the 1/3hr mode and use the TAP function to switch between modes, only need high for techy bits.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Diablo Mk 7 on the lid, have it set 1 or 2 off max and run it in the 3 mode unless it’s technical so life is great (except when I went further on the road bike after not charging it and worked out what the red LED means…)
    Paired with an older AyUp, not massively dense cover here and the can stay in front of the daylight makers enough not to be an issue

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Diablo on lid paired with a joystick on the bars, The diablo is where I’m looking, joystick is just supplementary, never fancied splashing out on MaxxD or 6pack, as I don’t feel that area needs such power.

BadlyWiredDog

Fwiw, I have both a Diablo and a couple of Joysticks and I tend to favour the latter as a helmet light partly because the bean pattern is more of a spot, which I prefer for a helmet light – I guess the depends a little on the model of each light – and partly because I find it more comfortable, particularly on bumpy stuff where your head bobbles about more.

Weighing them, my Joystick is 86g and the Diablo is 113g, which doesn’t sound much. But I think that the way the otherwise excellent Exposure helmet mount sits the light an inch or so above the top of the helmet, means there’s a sort of lever / pendulum effect that exaggerates small weight differentials. By contrast, I barely notice the supplementary Piggyback cell that sits low at the back of the helmet.

Not saying that the Diablo’s not an excellent light btw and I like on on really nadgery stuff, but mostly I seem to end up carrying it as a supplementary back-up that works either on the bars or the helmet and 99% of the time for me at least, the Joystick plus a big floody Lumicycle bar light, is all that I need. YMMV obviously.

Edit: also, I find that running a really bright helmet light, screws with my depth perception – hard to tell the difference between a shadow and a two-foot step etc, but maybe that’s just me.

benp1

I often use my Diablo on the 3/10 setting (#5 in the menu from memory) as my local stuff isn’t techy but some of it is quite twisty so need a helmet light

Paired with a Nitefighter BT40s on the bars, which is a warmer tint than the Diablo but haven’t found it to be a problem. I run the BT40s in low too, very rarely go above medium

When I was in the lakes, albeit with different lights, I found I needed to use more power to see on some of the descents but I live in North London so local stuff is flat and boring in comparison (but still fun)

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Helmet light. Diablo or Equinox?’ is closed to new replies.