Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • helmet light – Ayup or Joystick ?
  • iainc

opinions please…..

I currently have an Ayup unit on helmet Geko mount but have an option of swopping to a Joystick – any thoughts on brightness, etc, etc ?
    Thanks

Del

neither. cree wf 606a from dealextreme and an o-ring. tenth of the price. a LOT more than tenth of the brightness. for teh money you really cannot go wrong.
    if you must spend lots of money then the ayup needs a battery pack attached to your lid or camelbak, but has two light heads, versus no batteries or wires externally with only one light head with the joystick. light or convenience?

J0N
    Free Member

ditto torch(s) of some kind.
    Ayup over joystick.
    Ayup = £140 min. ~400lms
    torch = £20. ~ 200lms
    I have Ayups, they are great but not worth the money over the newer Fenix (£40).
    Ultimately though you should probably wait till next winter before spending big as LEDs are being rumoured to be brighter again.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    J0N
    Free Member

WOW! just checked out fenix’s new torch.
    Bit pricey though compared to similar on Deal Extreme.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

P7 here too. easily as good as my mates AY UPs. BST just around the corner.
    Deal Extreme have great aftersales service. Blatent plug from a happy customer.

knott4me
    Free Member

exposure all the way. honestly how fiddly are the ay-ups. if i spent that sort a cash i want a simpler design.

J0N
    Free Member

Fiddly? All you do is plug them in and they go on. New batteries have a on off button. Thats luxury.

iainc

I don’t find the Ayup’s fiddly, although the battery connection isn’t very positive and sometimes they go off on bumpy stuff !

moremudplease
    Free Member

don,t use my best kit for my wednesday night jaunts,so have aye-ups on old helmet,can charge them up without taking battery of my lid,lights on old bike,take off one strap and charge,like being able to charge two batteries at the same time and it is really usefull having a car charger,plenty of burntime for my little 5-6 hour jaunts and don,t have to muck about turnin them off and back on again every time I need to stop.

aw
    Free Member

Just got a joystick with helmet mount on fleabay for £100 and could not be more pleased with it. Although I suppose if you can get the same for £40 or less why pay more?

mavisto
    Free Member

Got myself one these BRACKETS and one of these TORCHES from DealExtreme and picked up a charger and a couple of batteries from ebay, all for under £30.

Stick two on your helmet and you’ve got 460 lumens.

DezB
    Free Member

Stick with the Ay-ups. No point spending out if you don’t need to.

Best thing about Ay-ups – fit the brackets wherever, easily swap the lights from my roadbike to my helmet to my son’s bike. No, they’re not the brightest, but it’s supposed to be nightriding innit!

Burchy1
    Free Member

If you have an Ay-up already i’d stick with that, love the fact that for a 3hr ride i can just leave it on and not worry about burn time. If you want extra brightness i’d go for the extra torch option and run the ay-up battery off your camelbak strap taking the extra weight off your helmet.

MrTall
    Free Member

I have The Ayups and a Joystick Max.

The Ayups are better overall but the Joystick is lighter and easier to swap between bikes/helmets. Although the Ayups are hardly heavy or to fiddly.

I found i was getting a little outshone when riding with others so went for the Ayups and couldn’t be happier.

Burntimes are better as well. My Joystick just went back to Exposure to fiddle with as the burn time was down to 2hr 25mins with only occasional use within the first year. They seem to have fixed it though to be fair to them.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

I have ay-ups, my girlfriend has a joystick and the ay-up is a clear winner over the joystick if you don’t mind the seperate light and battery. much brighter and seems to last longer.

iainc

thanks all, some cash saved -)

epicyclo

Definitely AyUp.

Just bought some when in Oz, they outshine my TriNewt.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘helmet light – Ayup or Joystick ?’ is closed to new replies.