Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • helmet life
  • ed34
    Free Member

is there a reccomended replacemt time for a well used helmet? Mine is from 2006, looks ok but just wondered as i see specialized have some hlemet ‘amnesty’ at biketreks next month where you can trade any old one in for a discount off a new one.

stevied
    Free Member

Giro is 3 years..

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Snell Foundation (smf.org) say…

Once you’ve selected a helmet, remember that it must be worn correctly every time you ride a bike. A helmet should be replaced immediately if damaged, and at least every five years based on wear and tear.

gonzy
    Free Member

Giro is 3 years..

this is true…i’m pretty sure most other manufacturers follow the same rule with regards to this…the foam used in the helmet degrades over time due to UV light exposure, water, dirt, heat etc…also knocks to the helmet can also cause damage that isn’t always visible especially if its under the outer shell…most like Giro also offer crash replacement warranties where they offer a replacement (usually the same model or the next one up) at next to cost price….so if your helmet is nearly 3 years old and is covered and you still have the original receipt…then a staged crash is in order!! 😆

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘helmet life’ is closed to new replies.