Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Helmet for Snowboard
  • Vern0n
    Free Member

I’m off snowboarding in a couple if weeks. I only go every couple of years, so never had a helmet… But want one this time.
    Can I get away with wearing my spare bike lid (giro hex).. I don’t care if I look like a nobber, just not sure I can justify splashing out.
    Other than being cold, is there anything that should make me stump up the cash?

DezB
    Free Member

Hex with a beanie underneath will be alright! A lot of snow helmets look like bike helmets anyway, with peaks and vents.
    I’ve got a spare I could lend you otherwise.

wallop

I’ve never seen anyone on the slopes in a vented bike helmet.

wallop

It’ll be cold, but probably better than not wearing one at all (IMO).

DezB
    Free Member

Wear something like this under it?

Vern0n
    Free Member

Ha! I was gonna go with beanie / buff underneath. My only other worry was goggle strap fit.
    Any cheap ish options for boarding helmets that you’d recommend?
    Likewise I have never seen anyone else in a bike lid….

leffeboy

i do it the other way round. I’ve got a snowboard helmet but use it on the bike when commuting in winter. Keeps yer ears toastie

makkag
    Free Member

^^^^

This i use my bern lid to keep me toasty !

DezB
    Free Member

Offer of the loaner still stands…

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Where’s TJ and obsession with rotational injuries when there’s a thread just begging for his words of wisdom? 😀

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Rent one, don’t wear a bike helmet. It’s unrad

Vern0n
    Free Member

DezB thanks for the offer 🙂
    Maybe I will just stump up the cash this year and avoid the debate next time!!

speed12
    Free Member

As above, just rent one. Handful of pounds for a week and will be warmer and much more comfortable than wearIn a beanie and a bike helmet.

stevomcd
    Free Member

It will look pretty special. If you’re not bothered about that, then fair enough.

As above, you can rent one for a few pennies for the week or even buy a cheap one for not much more than £20.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

It’s unrad

This.

You will look like an absolute gimp wearing a bike helmet.

jes
    Free Member

I used a TSG p pot helmet I bought for biking but never use last yearfor boarding, I looked a bit special but that type of helmet doesn’t suit me.
    I found it perfectly warm and it did the job when I fell over backwards catching an edge on some ice.

dan45a
    Free Member

I wear my Troy Lee A1 skiing, use a buff if its cold, i thinks it’s rad! ! I prefer it to the smelly lids they rent out.

Vern0n
    Free Member

Hmmm I can handle looking a gimp or special…. But not unrad
    Thanks for the kind words

Northwind

Hmmmmmm. On snow most head injuries come from hitting your head on the snow (dur) so I’d want something really designed for that- big vents and harder edges are probably more likely to catch/dig in as you slide, not good for the old spine

jairaj

I’d advise getting a proper ski helmet as they are designed to handle different types of impact and deal with ski / snowboard strikes.

Personally I wouldn’t want to use a hire helmet as you don’t know what kind of damage they’ve had. You can find new helmets for not too much these days. A little while searching should find a couple good offers.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

If you do decide to take your bike helmet snowboarding please do post pictures here

🙂

Have a good holiday either way!

jaymoid

Skate helmet + beanie

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I’ve worn various skate/BMx style hlemets for snowboarding over the years . I find them more comfortable – they’re much cheaper and I’m pretty confident in the level of protection they provide. I have to pul mu buff over my ears on the coldest of days – but I’d rather be able to hear what’s going on the rest of the time…

whatnobeer
    Free Member

I’d recommend buying one, preferably from a shop where you can try them on. I’ve seen a few in TK Maxx at this time of year for about the £50 mark. If you rent one it’ll probably cost £35 or so for the week, so a little more and you get a nice new one that fits properly and you’ve picked out yourself. It’ll pay for itself in a couple of trips too.

What ever you go for though, make sure to avoid the gaper gap

jaymoid

The only difference between skate and snowboard helmets is snowboard helmets have some kind of padding over your ears to keep them warm and some have a fleecey liner. Both are usually ABS plastic shells with the ideally at least double density eps polystyrene inner. Skate helmets are £7-20 pounds (7 on crc right now), snowboard ones are £50-120! Snowboard helmets have a clip at the back to keep your goggles in place. However wearing your goggles over your helmet, for the fashion conscious is as much of gaper thing to do as the gaper gap. If you give a shit. I’d advise not.

So if you are looking to save money, just buy a cheap skate helmet and wear a beanie under, which seems is the preferred option of most pro’s and park rats, like Halifax olympian Jamie Nicholls….

oliverd1981
    Free Member

However wearing your goggles over your helmet, for the fashion conscious is as much of gaper thing to do as the gaper gap. If you give a shit. I’d advise not.

Depends what you goggle an helmet sponsors pay for – most riders would happilly be gapers if they got paid.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I was unaware of the term gaper gap
    Myself and my friends always used the term ‘dweeb gap’
    new year new knowledge!

jaymoid

However wearing your goggles over your helmet, for the fashion conscious is as much of gaper thing to do as the gaper gap. If you give a shit. I’d advise not.

Depends what you goggle an helmet sponsors pay for – most riders would happilly be gapers if they got paid. [/quote]

But that doesn’t happen does it? It’s as much a practical thing as a trend, to prevent having a cold gap between your goggles and helmet. Most days it won’t matter, and when you are on cruising down crowded blue runs minding your own business, people aren’t really going to focus on the distance between your goggles and helmet, or whether the strap is inside or outside the helmet (also a practical thing if you don’t have a helmet clip).

GrahamS

However wearing your goggles over your helmet, for the fashion conscious teenage parkrat is as much of gaper thing to do as the gaper gap.

If you are a bit older (as most on here are) then just do what is comfy. You can stop wearing those XXXXL baseball tops too 😉

(Gaper gap is unforgivable though. As is sunnies with helmet)

stevomcd
    Free Member

In a brief moment of fashion-consciousness I did try wearing my goggle strap under my helmet. It may be the most uncomfortable thing I’ve ever worn. Never again.

DezB
    Free Member

I’d say her biggest faux pas is leaving the size sticker on 😆

(yes yes, I can see she’s in a shop)

GrahamS
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Helmet for Snowboard’ is closed to new replies.