Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Helmet/ clothing replacement after an accident..
  • tymbian
    Free Member

Got hit by a car in April which resulted in a nasty shoulder injury. Some of my clothing was cut off namely a sort of light softshell/ wind resistant type jacket and a high wicking T both North Face. My helmet is a Bell 2r with chin-piece ( wasn’t wearing the chin at the time ). My Lawyer has asked for photos which aren’t a problem and receipts if I have them. I don’t have the receipts an’t the helmet doesn’t show signs of damage but it took a hefty knock. Id like the helmet replaced as a matter of course. Is this a fair demandm

mrmo
    Free Member

would you want to use secondhand PPE?

Asking for a new helmet shouldn’t be something you think about. Just demand a new one.

tymbian
    Free Member

Didn’t know whether it would be an issue..

mrmo
    Free Member

If they are funny about it remind them it is PPE, you have been in a crash, i am assuming not your fault? No one uses secondhand PPE through choice.

tymbian
    Free Member

Thanks. Yup, non fault.
    What do I do about no receipts for the clothing?

a11y

Screenshot of current new helmet for sale somewhere. That should do it.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

in a similar situation, I went to my LBS and they inspected the clothing (and bike) and wrote an official statement on the damage, replacement, and cost, including costs for equivalent clothing if the damaged item is no longer available. I had to pay for this quote at the time but I claimed this back, so no probs there.

re. helmet. I don’t know. Mine had clear damage, so it was an obvious replacement. Stuff without visible damage may be harder to claim on.

DezB
    Free Member

Get a stement from Bell, contact details on their website

“BE SAFE

Bell cares about our customer’s safety and wants to remind our riders to never wear a helmet that has been involved in an accident.”

tymbian
    Free Member

Thanks Dez
    I’ll check and copy it over.

Reckon that should do it.

feckinlovebbq
    Free Member

As someone said above most of the local bike shops should be able to write you a letter stating that the equipment is no longer usable and an invoice of sorts showing what it would cost to replace the items this can include any damage to the bike.
    I know a few people who have had this done by our local, they usually charge a tenner or some sort of nominal fee just to cover their time but this is redeemable if you order the replacement items through them once the payout comes through.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Helmet/ clothing replacement after an accident..’ is closed to new replies.