Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Helmet Cleaning
  • badllama
    Free Member

Ok so my POC is stickingly dirty after 2 years of riding, with the only cleaning coming from rain how do you clean yours? 🙂

creagbhan

Anti bacterial spray from Asda and a hose and hang it out to dry.

stumpy01

In the shower with a bit of soap. And yes, I do mean my cycle helmet. 😀

sandwicheater

The thought of cleaning ones helmet has until now never crossed my mind.

badllama
    Free Member

Cheers guys only my gf complaining about the smell has brought it to my attention 😀 And I do mean cycle helmet 😯 😀

philtricklebank

The nurses have offered to do mine at work. They have some nice anti-bacterial solution that gets it squeaky clean and smelling fresh again.

bigyinn
    Free Member

In the shower with some shampoo. Work it into the pads and make sure you rinse them thoroughly. A quick windmill in the garden to spin most of the water out of it, then hang on line to dry.

rocketman
    Free Member

Usually remove the lining, put it in one of those drawstring mesh bags and bung it in the washer with everything else. Plastic bits and straps under the tap with soap

dbcooper
    Free Member

I put mine inside a few bags and sweatshirts, in a laundry net and run a 30c cycle in the washing machine. Make sure it is secure in the net/packaging as I have ruined a lid when it rubbed against the door during spin..

Junkyard
    Free Member

with mine the grey straps are minging – any suggestions for this? Just scrub it I assume

woody2000

The solution is to wear a Met Kaos with gel pads and open weave kevlar straps. No more pongy pads or straps for me 🙂

PiknMix
    Free Member

My straps are so minging they have gone hard!

teasel
    Free Member

For strap cleaning if you don’t wish to submerge the entire helmet:

Support main body with a meter rule or similar and drape over a bowl of warmish water, leaving it to soak for half an hour or so. Add a cleaner if you’re a stinky git.

I use water after every three or four rides and it keeps the sweat level to a minimum.

Northwind

I chuck mine in the bath then rinse it out under the shower.

If it’s really manky- this works for other things- I’ve got a big plastic box with a lid. Fill with water and a dod of baby shampoo, throw helmet in, put lid on so it’s forced under water. Leave til I remember it’s in there. Occasionally poke with a stick. Good for stuff like body armour that you might not want to machine wash.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Helmet Cleaning’ is closed to new replies.