• This topic has 17 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by hora.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Hellvelyn Descents
  • fergal
    Free Member

A photograph recently highlighted the descent down to Wythburn ( via birkside), now I am curious, just wondering how good this descent actually is and how modified the path is, littered with water bars for instance?, I have always been a fan of Sticks pass, it is brilliant and flows really well, with a very natural feel, I have ascended from Swirls on the same side and had come to the conclusion as a descent it would be rubbish, anyone got an opinion they would like to share?

stoney
    Free Member

Once youre past the loose gravel and the rockey step down its all endless fix the fells path. I rode it about 3 years ago on a Hardtail, trying to keep with the other 2 on Ful sussers….It was a game effort but brutal…. 😉 and would like trying on a desent FS (which i recently purchased)!!!!

parkedtiger
    Free Member

As Mr Stone says, Swirls is just an endless fix the fells steppy descent – really dull. Down to Wythburn is good fun – a little bit of everything: zig zags at the top, into a nice natural rock garden section, and finally some tricky, techie steps with waterbars. Do it all in one and your arms are really pumping by the time you hit the deer fence at the bottom.

stoney
    Free Member

Agreed!!! 😉

stoney
    Free Member

Sorry OP i was referring to Swirls descent…..Pt and I did Wyburn and it is hard in a onner ….(we were on HTs though) 🙄

fergal
    Free Member

Ta I was sure Swirls would be rubbish, Wythburn sounds like a goer, although I have to admit a real dislike for the dreaded waterbar, needs must I guess, so many good trails ruined.

GaVgAs
    Free Member
    fergal
    Free Member

Is that a pisstake 🙄

Junkyard
    Free Member

I doubt it just a mistake
    gavgas we need to log in to see them and I dont have drop box

stoney
    Free Member

Nor do i!

justinbieber

Birk side is a brilliant way down from Helvellyn. Much better than Dollywagon IMO. Only problem is that it drops you to Thirlmere, so you then have to climb back over to glenridding (probably via grasmere tarn), unless you start from there, which means a horrible climb up sticks pass from the west.

fergal
    Free Member

I was thinking of carrying up from Swirls, a real grind with a bike I would imagine, but you have to earn the descent right.

parkedtiger
    Free Member

The carry up Swirls isn’t too bad – it’s certainly the quickest way from a road to the summit.

fatboyjon

If we wanted to do Birkside descent, are either of the 2 bridleways over Whiteside doable or just more pushing and carrying? The other option is from further south, upto the tarn and carry up onto Dollywagon. Anyone ridden them all and have any opinions to offer?

fergal
    Free Member

Birkside isn’t worth the carry imho, Sticks is longer, more alpine and feels well worth the effort, I would do this if you haven’t ridden Helvellyn before, i’m kicking myself I didn’t ride it again yesterday.

wl
    Free Member

If it’s the descent that finishes on a fast and rough straight run down through woods to Thirlmere, it’s pretty good, but it’s a very direct way down and over pretty quickly. Reasonably steep in places with a couple of tricky water bars – not mental though. Better fun than Dollywagon.

dunmail
    Free Member

wl: Birkside and Wythburn are the same descent – had me confused for a moment until I looked at the map. The track goes *over* Birkside and down to Wythburn church.

hora
    Free Member

Sticks pass Sticks pass Sticks pass Sticks pass Sticks pass Sticks pass Sticks pass Sticks passSticks pass Sticks pass Sticks pass Sticks pass Sticks pass Sticks pass Sticks pass Sticks passSticks pass Sticks pass Sticks pass Sticks pass Sticks pass Sticks pass Sticks pass Sticks passSticks pass Sticks pass Sticks pass Sticks pass Sticks pass Sticks pass Sticks pass Sticks passSticks pass Sticks pass Sticks pass Sticks pass Sticks pass Sticks pass Sticks pass Sticks passSticks pass Sticks pass Sticks pass Sticks pass Sticks pass Sticks pass Sticks pass Sticks passSticks pass Sticks pass Sticks pass Sticks pass Sticks pass Sticks pass Sticks pass Sticks pass

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Hellvelyn Descents’ is closed to new replies.